V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the "waiting list" for a 2003 Dyna. I'm having trouble choosing between a Wide Glide & a Lowrider, I like them both. Does anyone have an opinion on either? Any input will be appreciated. Steve:confused:

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
malibu, both bikes are nice so the choice in style is what you prefer. One thing in making a choice in an off the showroom floor bike would be your height. I have found that the mid controls on the low rider may be a little cramped for taller riders. The forward controls on the wide glide are more suited for average to taller riders but may not be suited for the very short. For someone under say 5'11" the mid controls are not to bad and the highway pegs do make it nice on long trips to be able to reposition the feet/legs . Some people prefer the looks of the low rider and choose to just buy forward controls for it. I personally like the way that the ignition switch is on the tank where it should be on the Wide Glide. The low Rider has a side key switch which is awkward to get the barrel key in from a seated positon. Not a major thing, but it does get old after a while. Up untill recently the ride of the two bikes where very similar but with the new shorter suspension on the low rider i'm not sure how the two compare. Out of the box the wide glide is more suited for two-up riding because of the seat. If you change the seat on the low rider then there would be no difference but that is a consideration. In any case you need to sit on both of them to feel the fit and comfort. If they both suite you then the style will be your deciding factor. That's all i can think of right now...hope it helped some.

Later,

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
All I can say is I love my Wide Glide. I'll never get rid of it (just add to the collection. I'm 5'7" and fit well on it even with my apes. I bought it new 15 months ago and haven't had a single regret. I personally like longer, lower bikes and the FXDWG fits the bill in that respect......either way I'm sure you'll be very satisfied with either one.

Tony:cool:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Low Rider

66malibu, you are going through the same thing I was 2 months ago before I ordered my 2003 wide glide. Luckily for me I had a good and patient salesman.
All the words I read post by FifthGear are right on the money. I wish I had known about this forum before I ordered my dream bike (my new Harley). It would have helped me not look like a real dummy down at the dealership.
I read that you might rent the wide glide. I wish I could have afforded this route. Being stapped for cash and not have the extra for this luxury made it harder for me. All I could do was sit on each bike. When I sat on the LowRider it didn't fit me. The great salesman that was really helping me out (taking his time with me) told me that he would never picked the LowRider for me because I'm too tall. So again FifthGear's words were right on.
Anyway good luck, let us know which one you're going to get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Malibu, I have a 2002 Low Rider and love it. I'm shorter than average (5' 7") and the bike fits me perfectly. If you are taller than 5'9" or so you may feel cramped with the mid controls. Enjoy your new bike...whichever one you choose!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I'm still leaning toward the lowrider, cost is a concern too. My thinking is that I can put forward controls on the lowrider. From what I've been told the lowrider is a better handling bike than the wide glide. I have nothing to back this up it's just what I've heard. Now, about those new color's......

·
Registered
222 Posts
66mailbu,
Don't know about the Wide Glide, but my Lowrider is everything I could ask for (that is, until it's paid off and I can get a Roadking). I am 5'10" and 225 lbs, and the bike just seems to fit!
Just my $.02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.