V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been more than a few threads on Harley death wobbles. I've wrestled with them pretty much since new. Was always able to reduce it considerably, but never get rid of it completely until now.

Replaced stem and R wheel bearings, tires, trued rims, set fall-away, and carefully aligned chassis. Work done by a meticulous guy who knows what he's doing. All trace of wobble 100 percent gone. Bike tracks true and smoother than it's ever been. Bike is in my sig. Heavier, longer, but as solid and sure footed as my Buell within the parameters I ride.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Therm suggested 2 different brands to tighten up the RK. I chose the cheaper one which came in 12 separate pieces compared to the other which was put together. Cheaper because I was the assembler.lol. It works like a charm.

tarheel

·
Registered
168 Posts
My next project...careful and precise wheel, engine, swing arm, frame alignment. Fall away helped so did monotubes and ohlins. I’ve had 4 flh’s and never had a issue before this one.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW, I wrestled with it a long time. IME, it's a combination of things that can combine and/or singly have a similar effect as opposed to one thing.

I'd address an issue and improve things by varying degrees, but never got it this good. I came to just accept the common notion that the design is flawed, there would always be a problem and the best I could do was manage it. I was wrong. The guy I went to got it all straightened out and this bike is more solid now than I thought possible.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
any make and model bike can acquire the death wobble,,,, generally it's bad geometry a shallow neck angle, with close to 0 trail,,, makes big heavy bikes steer easily,, but get unstable at speed..
add some wear and loose fasteners,, it's a thrill ride..

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any make and model bike can acquire the death wobble,,,, generally it's bad geometry a shallow neck angle, with close to 0 trail,,, makes big heavy bikes steer easily,, but get unstable at speed..
add some wear and loose fasteners,, it's a thrill ride..
Oh yes indeed!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Been more than a few threads on Harley death wobbles. I've wrestled with them pretty much since new. Was always able to reduce it considerably, but never get rid of it completely until now.

Replaced stem and R wheel bearings, tires, trued rims, set fall-away, and carefully aligned chassis. Work done by a meticulous guy who knows what he's doing. All trace of wobble 100 percent gone. Bike tracks true and smoother than it's ever been. Bike is in my sig. Heavier, longer, but as solid and sure footed as my Buell within the parameters I ride.
I have bought my first Harley at 70 years old. This wobble issue on Harleys is disappointing at the least for a manufacturer that has been making motorcycles a hundred years. Before I bought this Harley, I had nine metric bikes since 1976. Size from 400cc to 1600cc. Never had a wobble issue running bike up to 120 mph on every metric bike.

I experienced wobble the day I brought the bike home from the dealer. My close inspection found that the fork tubes were not mounted equally, and the torque on the tube bolts was light not to spec. One fork tube was 1/2 inch higher than the other. The handle bars were not torqued to spec either. I could loosen handlebar clamp screws with a light twist of a screwdriver. I was glad to be alive went I got home. After I aligned the fork tubes, torqued the handlebars screws, and torqued the fork clamp to spec, the wobble went away. But the bike still just feels just unstable after 65 mph.

Never had that problem with metric bikes. My 76 Kawasaki 400 drove smooth on up to 90 without a hitch. Never felt in fear of my life.

I will be selling the Harley. And might buy another bike, but most likely metric.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Maybe Therm will chime in he recommended a kit for a 06 RK that I bought and cured it . There are 2 different kits as I remember one comes in about 16 pieces the other which costs more is completely assembled, because the 16 pc kit was an 8 pack job and a 6 pack the following day.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,591 Posts
I have bought my first Harley at 70 years old. This wobble issue on Harleys is disappointing at the least for a manufacturer that has been making motorcycles a hundred years. Before I bought this Harley, I had nine metric bikes since 1976. Size from 400cc to 1600cc. Never had a wobble issue running bike up to 120 mph on every metric bike.

I experienced wobble the day I brought the bike home from the dealer. My close inspection found that the fork tubes were not mounted equally, and the torque on the tube bolts was light not to spec. One fork tube was 1/2 inch higher than the other. The handle bars were not torqued to spec either. I could loosen handlebar clamp screws with a light twist of a screwdriver. I was glad to be alive went I got home. After I aligned the fork tubes, torqued the handlebars screws, and torqued the fork clamp to spec, the wobble went away. But the bike still just feels just unstable after 65 mph.

Never had that problem with metric bikes. My 76 Kawasaki 400 drove smooth on up to 90 without a hitch. Never felt in fear of my life.

I will be selling the Harley. And might buy another bike, but most likely metric.
Sounds like a piece of junk. Better send it to me for proper disposal.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: captainhook455
1 - 10 of 10 Posts