V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test rode new switchback vibrates bad was told that is normal for dyna, is that true, iride a road king was thinking of downsizing but i couldnt handle the vibration

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
mine vibrates plenty at an idle, goes away quick working thru the gears.
haven't rode a switchback, not looking for another bike but from reviews
i've read vibration seems to be an issue, enough to get the moco's
attention.

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
Yea, I heard there is a vibration problem with that bike (not Normal). I hope HD figures it all out and takes care of it's customers.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
mine vibrates plenty at an idle, goes away quick working thru the gears.
+1 I was a little surprised at the vibrations my Dyna had after riding a softail for so many years. I thought the front wheel and horn cover were going to come off at idle but, after getting up to speed it smooths right out. Never ridden a switchback though.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Vibration

Seems the trouble is, everyone is spoiled now days. Everyone should have to spend about ten years with pans and shovles to learn appreciation and respect. Used to be pain to go over 60 mph and then they wanted a new top end every 15,000 miles. They sure don't build 'em like the old days anymore. Get a soft tail with the B motor. My '06 WG is so much smother than my shovle that it is unreal. I may look around for something that rides smoth in eight years when I turn 80. In the wind.

Pops

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Test Ride 'em all

This is just my own expierience & opinion:),i had an 07'FXD which had (in my opinion) an abnormal,bad vibration from new,i didn't succeed in getting it sorted so I decided to change the bike this year,i intended buying a RoadKing but much preffered the Dyna,so I test rode a new FXDC,it had some vibration but no where near as bad as my bike,so at the salesmans suggestion i test rode the 4 new Dynas they had on the shop floor,I bought the FatBob,it runs exactly as i expect a Dyna to run,a bit shakey & bouncy at idle but really smooth at highway speeds.
My advice would be test ride switchbacks till you find the one you're happy with,one will be vibration free,it's just finding it.:)
I don't know why some Dynas have this Vibration issue,but in my opinion they do.
Graham.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 1998 Dyna has a life of its own at idle, almost like the engine is trying to escape the frame but once up to highway speeds smooths right out. I've actually grown quite fond of the vibration at idle, reminds me I'm on a v-twin, like the bikes I used to admire when I was a kid.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
My '01 FXD has a 103 in it so take this with that in mind but I have a good amount of vibration at 2,000 rpm. So much that it broke the tail light and fatigued the metal tab where the tail light mounts to the fender.

The vibes go away (as much as you could expect) from 2,200 on up to red line. There is also a whole lot of shakin going on at idle but that goes away above 1,300 rpm until 2K.

I spoke with a guy who owns a hopped up Sportster and he says he is on his third tail light due to big vibration.

I guess they all do that ha ha.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
582 Posts
Test rode new switchback vibrates bad was told that is normal for dyna, is that true, iride a road king was thinking of downsizing but i couldnt handle the vibration
Hello it's a Harley man, come on.

:whistle:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I forever bitched about vibration with my Dyna and eventually just learned to live with it as far as things weren't falling off. I did find that when I put the Pro Pipe on it higher frequency vibration got worse. In fact I'm experimenting with some things to try to bring the vibration from pipe back down to 'normal' levels. I've often been curious how much vibration even in stock Dyna's could be attributed to pipes. I've never run a short pipe, so don't know how those feel compared to heavier mufflers bouncing around.

The one thing I find very odd with mine though that has always existed is when the back wheel is jolted through a big bump at higher speeds the vibration is worse for a while. Never could find the source of this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Seems the trouble is, everyone is spoiled now days. Everyone should have to spend about ten years with pans and shovles to learn appreciation and respect. Used to be pain to go over 60 mph and then they wanted a new top end every 15,000 miles. They sure don't build 'em like the old days anymore. Get a soft tail with the B motor. My '06 WG is so much smother than my shovle that it is unreal. I may look around for something that rides smoth in eight years when I turn 80. In the wind.

Pops
:clap: right on...

·
Registered
582 Posts
I saw a thread on here where a guy added shims. I will soon do it to my Dyna too as it stops, from what I hear about 70% of the vibration. He added shims to the front mount. What this does is it brings the bracket that the mount is bolted to, closer to the actual rubber mount rather than the rubber being forced by the bolt to the bracket itself. Harley didn't think about doing this for reasons known.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The shims work well. When I upgraded to the Stage 2 BB kit the vibration was more than stock but so was the performance. After owning this for two years I don't even think about it and just keep it at the sweet spot for long hauls. In fact if I don't feel it I wonder what is wrong. I think that owning a Dyna and the vibration are just part of the HD experience and love it. Honestly I wouldn't want the B engine soft tail because it subtracts from the big bore V twin lore. As long a stuff doesn't fall off I'm good.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
wouldn't want the b motor either, more parts inside the bottom end.
let 'er bounce, long as the motor stays inside the frame.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
V-Twin feel

I agree about the basic feel of the V engine being missing from the B engine,but i also think some Dynas have a vibration that is way above the normal feel of the engine,to the OP i stick by my advice to demo ride a few Switchbacks i believe you will find the bike that runs without the added vibes i'm talking about,i tried all the engine mount fixes on my 07FXD to but neither myself or the dealer cured it,hence the good deal he gave me on the FatBob.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts