V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the Dynas on rough roads?
I currently ride an XL 1200 Custom and it is beating me to death.

Honest to pete, the other night coming back from a HOG meeting I thought that I was going to lose it because of the pot holes on a Bridge Deck.
It was foggy as [email protected]# and I was barely able to see the tail lights in front of me, no way to miss the massive craters.

The DOT says "it's a Bridge and therefore Army Corps problem".
Army Corps says "we don't have the money".
:hmmm:

Anyway,
Back roads can be brutal, potholes...., life threatening.:wacko:

This has me seriously considering alternatives.

Thanks,
Del

·
Registered
55 Posts
The stock suspension on my '06 Street Bob rides surprisingly well on rough roads. But the lowered shocks I installed afterwards will shatter your spine over the bigger bumps. If it weren't for the mid controls I'd be in a back brace by now (think dirt bike).

But the great thing about a Dyna (and Sportster) is how quickly you can swap out the rear shocks. So for longer runs I have the comfy stockers in place. And when I want to go for that slammed look, it only takes about 10 minutes to swap in the lowered shocks.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
i wore out thhe rear shocks on my 06 dyna in 3 months. front suspension is awesome with a little oil level tuning.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
claydbal said:
i wore out thhe rear shocks on my 06 dyna in 3 months. front suspension is awesome with a little oil level tuning.

My rears are shot too. I think they also lasted about 3 months. Seems like the performance went south at about 4000 miles. Either that or I just got used to it enough to notice. I'm still running the stock shocks at 15k, but plan to put something else on there next year. There is now zero damping. It rides okay two up, but the lack of any rebound damping makes it a kicker when I am solo. If anyone wants to feel just how lousy the stock rears are, just add a Badlander seat.. :laugh:

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
Mine was rough until I moved the preload setting from 3 to 1 on the rear. I only weigh 145 lbs. I love the front, especially when I really have it leaning and I hit some bumps, tire stays planted.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Delmarksman said:
How are the Dynas on rough roads?
I currently ride an XL 1200 Custom and it is beating me to death.

Honest to pete, the other night coming back from a HOG meeting I thought that I was going to lose it because of the pot holes on a Bridge Deck.
It was foggy as [email protected]# and I was barely able to see the tail lights in front of me, no way to miss the massive craters.

The DOT says "it's a Bridge and therefore Army Corps problem".
Army Corps says "we don't have the money".
:hmmm:

Anyway,
Back roads can be brutal, potholes...., life threatening.:wacko:

This has me seriously considering alternatives.

Thanks,
Del
I have an '03 XLH1200 and an '05 FXD. The Super Glide rides way better than the XL on any kind of surface, period. And yes, what you're reading about shocks is true (XL and FXD). Replace them with good Progressives or Works shocks. I went with Works because they will custom tune the shocks to your weight, rider's weight and luggage. Expect $250 - $500 depending on what you choose.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Had a 2000 FXDL and replace the stock shocks with a set of Progressives...and man what a difference.....put over 20k in a year on the FXDL with the new shocks........great!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input all.
After putting a bunch more thought into it and sitting on a Wide Glide,
After looking at the specs, it seems that the Wide Glide isn't that much different than my 1200 XLC. (other than the obvious, motor, trans)
I don't know that buying it would be a good answer. Not sure what is, just thinking out loud.

I really like the Road Kings but an FX is gonna cost me ~ 8K more and an FL probably a few K more than that.

ETA, everyone told me I'd grow out of the Sportster quickly, just wish they'd told me before I bought the bike.

Aaarrgghh:hmmm:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Delmarksman said:
Thanks for the input all.
After putting a bunch more thought into it and sitting on a Wide Glide,
After looking at the specs, it seems that the Wide Glide isn't that much different than my 1200 XLC. (other than the obvious, motor, trans)
I don't know that buying it would be a good answer. Not sure what is, just thinking out loud.

I really like the Road Kings but an FX is gonna cost me ~ 8K more and an FL probably a few K more than that.

ETA, everyone told me I'd grow out of the Sportster quickly, just wish they'd told me before I bought the bike.

Aaarrgghh:hmmm:

well you got me stumped .... I don't know how you can say that since you 'sat on a wide glide' and you read the specs, and other than the motor, tranny, mounts and other stuff there isn't any diff from the sportster ...

did you ride the wide glide ?
until you do, you have no idea what the difference is in the ride or the handling ....

suggest that perhaps you go for several long rides on any bike that your are anticipating buying, before you buy it .... jus sayin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point/advice,
of course, you are correct.

Kinda wish I'd done that before I bought the XLC.

Thanks for the reality check.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Best of Luck in your search.
I do ride a bike that is much like a dyna, and many take it to be a dyna, but it is actually a different frame. I ride a FXR.
I've only ridden one sportster, and I only rode it for about 30 miles so I have no real experience to compare the two.

Today I did swap bikes with a bud, and he rides an Ultra Classic. So he and I had a chance to experience different rides.

Here's what I can tell you about what I experienced on his scoot.

Smooth riding, compared to the FXR (a lot like a dyna)
Quite behind the fairing, very little wind buffeting
heavy from a weight perspective. Noticable when standing the bike up off the side stand ... and at times when coming to a stop.
Very stable at freeway speeds, I only got up to 70-75mph but the scoot was very stable there. My bike gets a bit of buffeting from the windshield compared to the Ultra
His bike is slower to change directions from a sharp curve as in riding 's' type cures. Not as fast changing directions as my bike. Well, my bike is a couple hundred pounds lighter too.
he has lots of storage on his bike, I have none
he has a radio, I don't, and don't want one
he has a cb, I don't, and don't want one
I didn't read the specs on his bike, that wouldn't tell me anything about how the bike rides or handles
specs can be changed after you buy the bike
his bike is black, mine is tangerine, tangerine goes faster HAHAHA

I only tell you all this because IMHO you can't tell anything about the difference in bikes by 'sitting on them' and/or by reading the 'specs' .... you have to find a way to go out and 'RIDE' the bikes. Only then can you make a really good decision about which bike will be right for you.

Find a dealer that has a rental program and rent the bikes and try them out. Find some buddies that would be willing to let you swap bikes for 50 or 60 miles

Good Luck !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, that's the kind of info/opinion that I was interested in.
And once again, riding a few is what I need to do.

:thanks:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After thought,
My favorite thing about the sportster is it's handling.
It has "Nimble" in spades. It is quick off the line and can change lanes, swerve, twist and turn with ease.

However it is offset by it's very sucky suspension.:thumbsdn:

I have herniated disc issues and thought that I would be ok with it.
But Had I ridden the bike for any length prior, I would have quickly figured out that I would not.

Some storage space would be very nice, at times. But unneeded others.

So right now, I am contemplating several things, from a Glide to a soft tail.
(really liked the Glide standard)
To... just doing a bunch of suspension work to the 1200 with probably a Mustang seat.

Went to the Stealer yesterday with my wife and looked at several things.
The biggest bad news is the raping that I am gonna take trading in the XLC,
if I do.:whatever:
:thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:
Bastards.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Del

·
Registered
219 Posts
If your looking for a better ride, steer away from a Softail, short rear suspension travel. I had a '89 1200 Sportster with Mustang seat(some improvement), there's only so much you can do.
As far as trade-in, keep in mind the tax savings on a new bike w/trade taken off the top. Otherwise, sell it locally or e-bay.
I went from the Sportster, to a '93 ElectraGlide Sport(pre-Roadking). Gained storage, and the handling wasn't too bad. Night and day difference from the FULL dressers, not top heavy.
My current ride is a '03 Wideglide. Not as plush ride as the Eglide, but overall more nimble bike. I wanted something with a little more attitude and punch(95"). I put Progressive 440 shocks on the rear, with a noticeable improvement. Ditched the ape hangers for Lowrider bars.
Don't forget to take advantage of demo rides or rent before you buy.
Hope this helps.:hmmm:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have 2008 Dyna Low Rider, it is night and day compared to the Roadster. I put 25k on the Roadster and I can tell you the Low Rider is like riding a caddy. I love the power and torque of the Low and I can get aggresive and stick with any Sporty out there.

V&H Big Shots
Sert
SE Air

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
If you like the nimbleness of the sportster then go with the super glide or possibly wide glide (a little less from the wide glide due to rack of trees).

when i was looking at bikes the thing that impressed me most was the power to weight ratio from the glides to the dressers. Same power trans just heavier and slight different rake. Makes the dressers a little cushier ride and stable in the straights.

The Dyna glides are lighter and give better responsiveness in the turns.
my stock shocks never gave me a problem only bottomed out on a couple of severe pot holes. If you want cushy you can go with the air assisted shocks or like the others have said the progressives.

I have had to ride my girlfriends 99 evo solid mount 1200 recently that had the shocks wound down to help her leg length. I am going to get her new short shocks to improve her handling.

My point is I feel your pain. it was like riding a rigid. I don't know how those guys do it unless its just from bar to bar. any distance and your back and balls are going to pay for it.

check out the Dyna's you wont regret it.

Oh yeah FXR if you every want to sell it send me a PM.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New FXDI! ; )

Well guys, After a knock down drag out fight with the stealer, on price and trade in...:265:
I went with a Super Glide.
Right now, I am thinking that it's the best of both worlds.
It's got handling and a much better suspension, almost night and day.

It's got a lot less chrome than my 1200 Custom but I am completely OK with that. I prefer less.
I do miss the FWD controls, but have seen (somewhere) a linkage kit, and I am going to need to get a passenger pillion and pegs for the wife.

Other than that I am pleased with the decision and thanks to all for their input.

Oh, and trying to ease my mind on the trade in loss, I tried to look at it from a different perspective.
Local dealer rents for ~ $350/week, 6 weeks rental would have been about what I lost on the trade.
So, with that in mind, I don't feel as bad as I did.
Out the door, with taxes, tags, set up, blah blah blah cash out was $4k.

Anyway, here's a pic and thanks again.

Del

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice bike!
Now the fun begins, making it your own.
Before you start buying things (seat, pegs, etc.) at the dealer look in the classified section of this and other forums. I picked up a used seat for a 1/3 of what it would have cost new. Also check with your dealer if they have any takeoffs sitting around. Some people don't want a 2-up seat and put a solo on.

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is that an '07 or '08? I think you'll keep that one awhile. It will take some time to completely personalize it.:woohoo:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts