V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting 12" apes on my FXSTS. Does anybody know if the stock cables from a Dyna w/stock apes would fit? Thanks.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Moderator (s) ---- Can this tread be moved to the Softail section?? Thanks

USAFPJ,

I can't tell you if the cables from a Dyna will fit or not with 12" apes. I have had 16" apes on my Springer prior to the 20" apes that I have now. With the 16" apes, I had to get 6" over throttle and Idle cable and they seem to be just a wee bit long. I have a feeling that you may not have to change the throttle and idle cables at all because the stock buckhorns on a Springer are approximatly 8" to 10" high.

Two other things to consider when extending the lenght of the bars are your wiring harness and your brake line. You may even get away with doing the following if you are going with 12" apes. I'll give you example of what I did with the 16" I had.

On the wiring harness: It is woven around the tree. I removed the dash (this is on a 98 FXSTS, not sure but I think 2000 and up have one piece tanks now), split the tanks apart at the top only so I could get to the wiring harness more easily under the dash assembly. Undo the right and left cables that go to the contorls and re-route them to extend the length. You will have more than enough wire, as it will work up to 16" with out having to splice and rewire. So what you should have after you re-route your wires is this, wires will travel down the apes, down along side of the risers, turn and go between frame and tank.

On the brake line: if you look under the bottom of the bottom tree, in the middle you will see a rubber covered clamp that holds the brake line stationary. I had to remove this clamp and bend the line enough to extend the lenght of the whole brake line so it would work.

Now for the bars: On a Springer (FX and FL), the risers are 5" apart center to center and on all other Harleys they are 3 1/2" apart. If you bought 16" bars for "just a Harley" then the knurls on the bars will not line up with the risers. You will see the knurls on the inside of the risers after you install the bars. If this is ok with you then I would suggest that you go out and get some sand paper, cut it in small sections, double them up with the sand side out and put this around the bar before setting the bar into the riser and installing the top clamps. This will provide you with more "bite" when you tighten your clamps since you have less knurling.

Good luck, and if you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jockeyshift, I'll report after my escapades. Good details on the rerouting also. I did get the apes with correct spacing. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts