V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
i love FXRs, but i love Dyna Lowrider S too, and want to build the project with FXDLS aggregates and FXR frame. is it possible? i heard that i should use only Touring powertrain because Dyna's is so long. and ones more, better to use original FXR or new aftermarket frame?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Norudo,

The drive train (transmission & transmission) from any year and model of any bike that starts with FX is not compatible with any year of an FXR frame.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Red Good is a friend of mine and does very good work. His FXR frames are well known within the FXR community.

Reactions: compressor#v

·
Registered
728 Posts
So, what do you think, what is better? historical natural FXR frame or your friend's frame?

Here in the US OEM frames are much easier to get insurance for and are typically worth more than the same bike built on an OEM Harley frame. The rules are probably different where you are. Mechanically, the OEM frames are probably a little stiffer in the neck area.

Reactions: Racepres

·
Super Moderator
22,578 Posts
Hi guys!
i love FXRs, but i love Dyna Lowrider S too, and want to build the project with FXDLS aggregates and FXR frame. is it possible? i heard that i should use only Touring powertrain because Dyna's is so long. and ones more, better to use original FXR or new aftermarket frame?
Anything can be done, but why would you?

They are two totally different concepts frame wise. The FXR is a short primary bike, so it uses bagger style drive line parts. The Dyna is a long primary bike and uses Softail style primary parts. Past that, the motor mounts and swing arm attachments are totally different.

The Dyna was designed to be less costly to assemble. The frame was designed to be welded with automation, and to accept the powertrain as an assembled unit using jigs and lifts that did the hard work. The FXR frame required hand welding, and the power train was built in the frame. The engine was humped into place with bruit force and lumber.

State of the art in 1983-84. Note the special tool the engine is propped on.

Musician Band plays Music Tom-tom drum City

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thx guys so much!
i really just almost bought the one Lowrider S. now i know that i need to find the Touring. therefore, can you little help me, what do you think about CVO 110 engine? because it's much more expensive than 96 or 103... does it make sense to overpay for 110?

·
Registered
99 Posts
The lowrider s had a 110.. cost 20k. If your looking at building an fxr into a twin cam "low rider s" I'd give myself at least 12-15k to work with. Could end up with much more than 20. I don't know how well you can get parts where you are. Around here they're hacking up the frame to fit a bagger transmission. Then you can remove the oil tank. It looks awesome. I would keep in mind that if you find a clean stock fxr,I think it's price will raise. I'm not sure I even know what an original fxr looks like anymore.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The lowrider s had a 110.. cost 20k. If your looking at building an fxr into a twin cam "low rider s" I'd give myself at least 12-15k to work with. Could end up with much more than 20. I don't know how well you can get parts where you are. Around here they're hacking up the frame to fit a bagger transmission. Then you can remove the oil tank. It looks awesome. I would keep in mind that if you find a clean stock fxr,I think it's price will raise. I'm not sure I even know what an original fxr looks like anymore.
Here's one for reference. 99 FXR3. The FXR's had evolution engines OP. If you are looking at 96 and 110 engines, they are twin cam engines and Modifications will have to be made to fit them to an FXR frame. S&S makes Evolution engines brand new in various displacements.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh, of course bro! i found one lowrider on the copart, in very broken condition. i know that it cost around 20k, much more expensive than 103 dyna's.
But now it does not matter, because i need Touring models. i see that CVO is much more expensive than 103 and 96. is there reason to overpay for CVO?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hell even an 88tc. They're super cheap, you could get the whole drivetrain for less than 2k. If you get a 96 or 103 you could make it a 110 down the road, I think 88 only goes to 95ci

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no-no-no, im looking only for second generation of tc, 96 or 103, touring models after 2008. because it have electronic throttle and Brembo brakes with ABS. i hope to find one in broken condition for low price on copart=)
So, can you give me link to frame aftermarket, who make a good job?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid of any known brands.. some only have swing arms and don't look anything like fxr(low dollar but would work) all the way up to frames that look exactly like hd but have all the mounts already for your tc103 and tranny. Google will lead the way..

·
Super Moderator
22,578 Posts
Thx guys so much!
i really just almost bought the one Lowrider S. now i know that i need to find the Touring. therefore, can you little help me, what do you think about CVO 110 engine? because it's much more expensive than 96 or 103... does it make sense to overpay for 110?
Nothing CVO makes sense.

The oem 110 heads are better than 103 heads. But other than that, it the same stuff with a slightly bigger bore. You can drop a SE Tire Shredder 110 kit onto a 103 and have vastly more power than a CVO 110.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
349 Posts
CVO is mostly next year's stuff this year, with fancy paint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi guys again!
i just emailed to Big Bear Performance, and they made me sad, said that they dont make the fxr frames.... i really very sad because you said that they made the best aftermarket frames...
but i find them:
do you know something about theirs frames?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Big Bear does not make anything and they have a shady history taking down payments, not delivering and declaring bankruptcy. I suggest you and everyone else stay away from.

Whoever said Big Bear made the best FXR frame is an idiot.

Rolling Thunder does make frames and they are very, very good.

Reactions: Racepres
1 - 20 of 20 Posts