V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to these forums and new to the HD world all together so please forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I am talking about... because I probably don't! :)

I recently bought a 2004 Dyna Low Rider (fuel injected) from an individual who had no time to ride. The bike is in great condition with only 6,000 miles. I mentioned to the seller how it is quieter than I had hoped and he handed over a set of Vance and Hines pipes that I could have for free. I guess he didn't like the sound and just went back to stock. A buddy of mine said he can put them on along with a new air cleaner and power commander. He also said he would change the oil and filters since the seller didn't have service records. Since I already have the pipes, the item list he gave me is as follows:

--PC3
--K&N filter
--Engine oil and filter
--Primary oil
--Trans oil

So, for the parts and labor he quoted it all at $620 - $670 (depending on labor hours). Is this a good price? Does this sound like the necessary work being done to add these pipes?

**I am not exactly sure what kind of V&H pipes these are. They don't say. From looking at pictures online I would guess they are big shots?? Attached is a pic. Any ideas??

Attachments

·
Seasoned and Baked
4,275 Posts
If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, you can do all the work you described. Just buy the FSM (Factory Service Manual) and you're good to go. These bikes are not Ferraris!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Wideone is correct, getting a manual and getting your own work done is the best way, and the only way.
Understanding it's a new bike and you may want this done quick and you just have 700 bucks burning a hole in your pocket, then pay him.
6000 miles isn't exactly a breaking point for all the services he is going to provide. I believe a 1000 mile service is either part of buying a new bike still or greatly discounted I hope so, I say this thing has seen one service thus far.
Get a manual wich ever way you go and start doing it your self.

·
Registered
305 Posts
.... A buddy of mine said he can put them on along with a new air cleaner and power commander. He also said he would change the oil and filters since the seller didn't have service records. Since I already have the pipes, the item list he gave me is as follows:

--PC3
--K&N filter
--Engine oil and filter
--Primary oil
--Trans oil

So, for the parts and labor he quoted it all at $620 - $670 (depending on labor hours).

Labor??? Nice Buddy... Get the manual ,Do it yourself.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you're somewhat mechanically inclined, you can do all the work you described. Just buy the FSM (Factory Service Manual) and you're good to go. These bikes are not Ferraris!
Right On! I bought an FSM before I even picked up the bike. I'd also suggest you get the Electrical Diagnostic manual and the parts manual. The parts manual is very helpful. Look on ebay and for $150 or so you can prolly find all three. Each will pay for itself very quickly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately I am not too mechanically inclined... but I want to be. I plan on making other upgrades myself but I just thought this work would require someone who kows what they are doing. And I guess the guy isn't really my buddy... he's a friend of a friend.

Anyway... I do plan on taking on some projects of my own in the future so I can learn a thing or two.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Outside of the PCIII this is a couple of hours work and $50 in parts. The PCIII is about $300 so you are paying $300 in labor. YOu need to learn how to do these simple things and save the money. Get a couple of riding buddies together and knock the whole thing out in a day and learn about your bike. Most of us did that and now we can do our own maintenance and upgrades.

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Yep those are big shots staggered pipes since I have the same ones on my bike. I don't know where you live in Illinois, but I'm north of Chicago and if you need help installing that stuff I'll be glad to help.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
thing about doing your own work is you learn alot about your bike. a shop
manual walks you thru any job you are confident or brave enough to tackle.
it's not rocket science and you have great satisfaction fixin your bike......
big job or small.

if your not ready for that yet the choice is yours, get er on the road and have
fun. fact is you will be turning your own wrench in time...it's part of the passion.

i'm no mechanic and there's certainly jobs i'd have my indy do but youd be surprised
how much maint/upgrades you can accomplish on your own.

04 wg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts