V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics (first before with stock shocks, next thread after) showing installation of Dyna Low Profile shocks. Appears to have lowered ride height 1 to 2 inches. Havn't ride tested them so may need adjusting. Nice quality (Fox gas presurized) chrome upper, bottom and spring. I will post an update once I get a chance to ride test, which means the temp is going to have to get above 40 degrees F!

Pete

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks great! Really would like to know how the ride is? Did you do anything to lower the front? How does it sit? Cost?
thanks
ride safe
vrodtom

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It deffinately feels lower sitting on the bike. That coupled with the Badlander seat make it really low! Thats OK with me. I will post once I get a chance to it for a ride and see how it affects handling. Should be able to lower rear without doing the front, but will see on this.

I don't know what the preset is from H/D on these shocks so I may have to adjust to weight. There is a rough road nearby where I can test bottoming. May have adjust to a stiffer setting.

Cost was $380 after tax (with my 15% discount).

Pete

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from a test ride with the Dyna shocks. One thing thats really nice about these (other than their great looks) is that they are almost infinately adjustable by mirely twisting the upper shock cup by hand. I preset it to 3rd notch. Since these shocks have a shorter stroke I was expecting, and got, a firmer rider. The third notch (third lightest) on the Dyna is roughly comparable to the 3rd setting on the stock shocks. Soaks up small bumps, but the larger ones leave a noticable jarring in the base of your back. But, I think handling is improved at the firmer setting so will leave it at that for now.

Overall ride is comparable to the stock shocks and handling, if anything, seems better, perhaps because the center of gravity is lower. No noticable adverse affect by not lowering the front. Rear ride height is lowered 1 1/2 to 2 inches.

Just a word of caution. I am a do-it-yourselfer except when it comes to tearing down an engine or requiring tools that I don't have. These shocks are easy to mount, but would be much easier with a center jack stand, which I don't have. Since you only need to raise the rear between 1 to 2 inches, a friend lifting on the rear fender will achieve the necessary clearance to install the shock bolts. Uses all stock hardware except for the upper spacer, which is wider than stock.

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts