V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How have you equipped your Dyna for long distance riding? I have windshield, saddlebags, tank bag, camelback, tools, and rain gear. What have you done?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but I would suggest a better seat. I have a '05 FXD, and after a day trip (right around 400 miles total) my rear went from sore to downright numb.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn forwards that are extended, mini floorboards, corbin seat and National Cycle Hardbags...Works for me.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
If I can't strap it to the seat or sissy bar, or put it in my pockets or boots, I'm not taking it. Take a lean motorcycle and make it look like a buffalo...never. :265:

Thorns

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "long distance riding". To some of us less hard core guys, long distance might mean a day trip. If your buying a Dyna for cross country rides I think your buying the wrong bike.

just my opinion though,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
769 Posts
KrustyTC said:
Depends on what you mean by "long distance riding". To some of us less hard core guys, long distance might mean a day trip. If your buying a Dyna for cross country rides I think your buying the wrong bike.

just my opinion though,
KrustyTC

I have to agree.....long distance travel pretty well always means spending some time in the rain .... nothing tops hard bags and a tourpack for keeping your stuff dry. You can ride any bike long distance,,,,,even a mo ped. You will soon learn if you go on a multiple day long haul cross country run ,,, the bagger guys are going to ride you into the ground..... nothing beats full upper and lower fairings and full hard bags and tourpack and cruise for a long ride .... dynas and softails are good bikes ,,,,,but when you are a thousand miles away from home ,,,,you can bet if you aint riding a bagger ,,, you will be lookin at one when you get back from the trip . rat

·
Registered
11 Posts
04 Dyna Lowrider with Mustang seat, forward controls, Kuryakyn pegs & grips, detachable windshield & saddlebags plus other modiifications not comfort related. Last June my wife and I rode from Southwest Missouri through Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, down the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Smoky Mountain National Park and back home through Tennesse and Arkansas. 2445 miles total in seven days. This was our first road trip and we had no problems with comfort. baggers do have more storage, but a Dyna works just fine for us.

·
Registered
338 Posts
2002 FXD. Touring saddle from FXDXT and Airhawk cushion, forward controls, detachable sport windshield, large T-bag on seat attached to sissy bar, large roll bag on luggage rack. No saddle bags. I always take raingear, a sleeping bag, tent and full leathers on my road trips.

About touring on an FXD compared to a "bagger". I'd much prefer a road trip in a Corvette or new Mustang to the same trip in a minivan or cross-over SUV. I guess that I watched to many Bronson episodes. :D

By the way I'm a 63 year old guy with a hip replacement and I find the FXD to be OK in the comfort department. When I want real comfort, I take my Hemi.

Tom :cool:

·
Registered
769 Posts
jeepnut said:
04 Dyna Lowrider with Mustang seat, forward controls, Kuryakyn pegs & grips, detachable windshield & saddlebags plus other modiifications not comfort related. Last June my wife and I rode from Southwest Missouri through Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, down the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Smoky Mountain National Park and back home through Tennesse and Arkansas. 2445 miles total in seven days. This was our first road trip and we had no problems with comfort. baggers do have more storage, but a Dyna works just fine for us.
Sounds like you guys had a good first trip. We rode the smokie mt national park last fall on our way to south padre island from michigan . made a pass though the dragon on way down .. spent a month and rode back the end of october ....its about a 5200 mile run ... If you like your lowrider ,,, never let your wife get on the back of an electra glide ,, because if you do ,,, you will be trading bikes lol. rat

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
I like the stock seat on my '06 Dyna. Longest trip so far is 400 miles and it was no prob. Only thing we've added is a roll bag and a small sissy bar. Put some nice grips and pegs on it too, but that was more for style than comfort. I guess the throttle boss could be considered a touring item. Highly recommend them. I could ride the bike all day and night and be comfy, but I'm a skinny ass...:cheers:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Duffle bag stapped to the short sissy bar.Been doin it that way for 25 years. Had a bagger for a few years, but I have always liked Dynas better.

·
Registered
769 Posts
JamieWG said:
I like the stock seat on my '06 Dyna. Longest trip so far is 400 miles and it was no prob. Only thing we've added is a roll bag and a small sissy bar. Put some nice grips and pegs on it too, but that was more for style than comfort. I guess the throttle boss could be considered a touring item. Highly recommend them. I could ride the bike all day and night and be comfy, but I'm a skinny ass...:cheers:

Yup a throttle boss is a great item ,,, I even have on on my glide that has cruise ,,,,, it takes the strain off the wrist for in town riding .... rat

·
Registered
107 Posts
No bags or windshield for me either. Just a luggage rack, soft bag, and a cargo net when I take a trip. I bought an aftermarket rack and avoided the sideplates, rails, etc., so it's easy to put on and to remove.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I put on some heel stirrups (money well spent). Other than that...my FXDWG is a great cruiser but not for the long haul. If it won't fit in my Haversack..it aint going. Want a bagger?...buy a bagger. Want a lean, mean, cruisin machine? ....buy a Dyna.
Semper Fi,
Steve ....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Windshield, tool bag, forward controls with heel rests, mini apes, 6" sissy bar with a T-Bags bag strapped on, Sundowner seat. Just got saddlebags for really long trips, have not put them on yet, will only be on for the really long trips, otherwise will stay off.

·
Registered
769 Posts
sthorp said:
Windshield, tool bag, forward controls with heel rests, mini apes, 6" sissy bar with a T-Bags bag strapped on, Sundowner seat. Just got saddlebags for really long trips, have not put them on yet, will only be on for the really long trips, otherwise will stay off.

I am willing to bet after you put the bags on ,,, they will stay on .....even around town its nice to have a place to put stuff. You have no idea how handy they are ,,, need to make a quick trip to the store to pick up a few things ,,, with the bags on you can ride the bike. Take a little dinner ride ,, and its hot when you leave and you come home after dark ,,, ya got a place to put your jacket ... saddle bags are hard to live without after you figure out how much you actually use them ...MN ,, yea your gonna need that jacket lol... maybe even the chaps ....and rain gear as well. If you are going to ride ,, ya need a place to keep your gear ,, sounds like you are getting your dyna all toured out ..... rat

·
Registered
226 Posts
I did Sturgis and back last year for a little over 5000 miles in two weeks. We rode 400-500 miles a day. I tied a large duffle bag down to the passenger seat.

I have Boss bags, HD quick detach Windshield and forward controls.

The only additions I want to make is a more comfortable, seat and a sissy bar so I can add a TBag.

The bike was fine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Lindby crash bars w/ hiway pegs, Mustang seat with back rest, luggage rack, Apes (12"R,12"Pull back) with 4" risers, and windshield. I have an expandable T-bag and Nickel saddle bags mounted on Ghost brackets...turn the key and take them in to the room like suitcases. I can go all day at 80mph....which I plan on doing again, as soon as the rain stops here in WA.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts