V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone jacked up a Dyna. I was watching SOA and noticed the bike Jax rides has quite a bit of ground clearance. Great for jumping curbs. I am wondering what are the longest shocks that will work on a Dyna low rider. I had a Convertible that sat pretty high and liked it.
Can I see a picture and have comments about how high I can go? Will it effect handling? Look Goofy? Thanks.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
Anything you do with the shocks needs to be done to the forks as well to maintain rake and stability. i.e raise the rear 1", the forks need something more than an inch in length to gain the inch. jmo

·
Registered
569 Posts
JAX Bike, Season one, was a stock height 2002 FXDX.

You can order the stock adjustable shocks from HD- or get an equivalent from Progressive Suspension or Works Performance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looking closer at the front end, it appears that the right fork appears to have adjusters on the top, above the top tree. That's not stock, for sure. dd50

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looking closer at the front end, it appears that the right fork appears to have adjusters on the top, above the top tree. That's not stock, for sure. dd50
That is stock on a FXDX. The FXDX has 13.6" shocks on the back and I believe the fork tubes are about 2" longer than a standard Dyna. I have three different adjustments on the front forks. At the top of the trees you can adjust for preload or dampening and there is a rebound adjustment at the bottom. The bike sits a good bit higher than a standard Dyna, but it is done that way for handling improvements.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the info. I ride an FXDC, and it doesn't have the adjusters. Wish it did. My Tiger does and makes a big difference. dd50

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, see how high the bottom frame is? Now I know I have a low rider , but it seems the rear frame sits much lower than the front. I would like to have the frame even with the road. I don't want to mess with the front end if I don't have to, but the rear could come up an inch or 2 I think. Anyone done that? I want a flat ride rather than the saggy rear, if you get my drift. Right now I feel I am squatting, if I stand up the bike is at knee level. I want the bike higher. Did you do it and how? I don't get this LOW LOW, unless you are 5"4" why drag your ass? I am going to do something , just thought I would pick your brains. I want to take it HIGHER.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Anything you do with the shocks needs to be done to the forks as well to maintain rake and stability. i.e raise the rear 1", the forks need something more than an inch in length to gain the inch. jmo
This is true, but what makes the lowrider, also the street glide (had one) low, if not mistaken, is just shorter shocks. The rear end is lowered decreasing seat height. I believe the forks on the Lowrider and Superglide are the same, only the shocks are different lengths.

Motorcycle Specs site shows that the shock on the LR has 1 inch less travel than the forks, 104mm rear/127mm front. Adding the inch to the rear will change the rake and trail some w/o changing the front, but Harley has used longer shocks before on the same frame and rake angle successfully. If anything, it will sharpen the steering in turns, but shouldn't decrease straight line stability, due to the longer wheel base of the Dyna over sport bikes.

Changing the shocks is easy, Changing the front fork tubes, not so easy. Try longer shocks first and see how the bike feels on the road before worrying about the front.

I realize I am new to this forum, but have been riding for 43+ years. Doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about, though...tp

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im glad this topic came up. I too am wanting longer rear shocks on my 02' lowrider. I am also putting the 1" longer 49 mm front end on it so im thinking of putting 13 or 13.5" rear shocks on. Now which ones? Progressive 430_440's or works?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Here was my new 04 FXDX at the dealer. It was high off the ground.
It looked like a dirt bike.

Now it is in a full custom transition.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes the FXDX and the FXDXT, fully adjustable suspension just like the Sportster 1200S. Also dual front brakes.
Both great bikes, The rear shocks on the FXDX are similar to a Progressive 418. Of course there are a lot of other nice shocks for long travel.
You can also tell the FXDX series by the blacked out engine.
I'll never get ride of mine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yep, FXDP is the same. When you add the spring seat, height is 31" off pavement. Just like hopping on an XR400 dirt bike! But I love it!

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank You All. I will try longer shocks. I hope I can find some take offs form another bike. A lot of people change to shorter shocks, Perhaps one of you have an extra pair of 13" you would like to sell?

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
All the FXD/L/WG have 24.25" long fork tubes. Not totally sure about the FXDX/T, but I believe they are 24.25" as well. The FXDL & FXDWG have 32° rake & all other FXD models have 28° rake. The only other differences affecting ride heights are the shock lengths.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts