V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2001 FXD from a used-bike dealership in 2005. I love the bike, but the front disk brake pad(s) drag. I can hear the friction on the disk when I push it around...It's enough drag to really require some effort to push the bike forward and backward when putting it in the garage. Obviously, the pads aren't moving back (completely) when the brake lever is released. It looks like there's plenty of pad left, so the previous owner must have replaced the pads once, already. The bike has Carriage Works "Hurricane" style wheels. Is it possible that the aftermarket wheel has something to do with it? Has anyone else experienced this? What's the solution to this? Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Nick it's possible that the brake is acting normally - stock pads can be noisy like that, and the pads do remain in contact with the rotor at all times. If the brake was dragging, I'd expect that it would generate a lot of heat when you ride, which would probably be noticeable. I would put the bike on a lift and ensure the wheel spins freely. If not, go from there.

If you want quieter brakes, there are some good aftermarket pads out there - I use Lyndall Z-pads. http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/products.htm

Good luck!
John

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Gently squeeze the front brake as you are going down the road. Then release it slowly for a moment the noise will go away. Unless it is excessive I believe it is normal, especially if the pads are new.

·
Banned
169 Posts
I had a new 2000 Sporster Sport 1200 with the same brakes and all three calipers (pistons to be exact) were defective. They were so bad that some pistons were actually locked in the bores and when the brake was applied one disc in particular would get pushed over almost 1/4" The rear one dragged so bad and put so much heat into the rear pulley the belt would get too tight.

The problem was in the way the pistons were ground, they were very rough with deep uneven chatter marks from bouncing in the centerless grinder. If I remember correctly it took about 150 psi air pressure to get the pistons out ( a brand new bike remember) There is a square seal on the piston that deforms into a somewhat diamond cross-section when the brake is applied as the piston moves out and when the brake is released the seal coming back into it's original square shape is supposed to retract the pistons. unless the pistons are smooth, they don't! If anyone thinks those calipers were a random event I have some ocean front property for sale here in AZ. The fix was to polish the rough finish off the pistons in a lathe with some oiled emery. Afterward they worked beautiful and retracted like they are supposed to. The front one on by Bob is dragging a little too, so I know I'll need to take care of it before too long.

Also, there have been a few improvements made to that caliper since it's introduction, the ani-rattle clips and seals I think...I need to look at part#s to be sure. :cheers: .

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
I think the pads are sticking in the caliper. Sometimes you can use brake clean to spray around the brake, sometimes you may need to disassemble the brake for thourough cleaning. Older models had floating calipers, but I think your caliper is fixed, using pistons on both sides. If you had the floating caliper, you can remove, clean and lube the mounting pins.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not a bad idea to remove the pads and smooth the edges with a fine file to avoid binding in the calipers. The faintest smear of copper grease may also help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Brake noise

I've got an 04 WG with 13k miles, and mine does the same thing! I also notice if I pull in just a bit on the front brake the noise will go away. I asked the dealer about the noise and the dealer says they all do it! The dealer said swaping the pads usually fixes it? Maybe it's time to try the Lyndall Z-pads.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
dynarider04 said:
I've got an 04 WG with 13k miles, and mine does the same thing! I also notice if I pull in just a bit on the front brake the noise will go away. I asked the dealer about the noise and the dealer says they all do it! The dealer said swaping the pads usually fixes it? Maybe it's time to try the Lyndall Z-pads.
Lyndall Z pads cured my FXD brake noise. Silent now.

T113

·
Sick Puppy
1,703 Posts
my 04 lowrider has had noise from the front brake since it was new haven't had any problems with it though.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
LNW, if you C&P from another post, you have to quote & C&P.

my 06 700 miles does it...annoying..

my standard made "swishing" noise when i used the brakes, but not when they were not in use. dealer said was vent holes & not to worry, so i did not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts