V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know of a source for the dyna police fxdp floorboards with supports and shift and brake levers?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
dr dave said:
anyone know of a source for the dyna police fxdp floorboards with supports and shift and brake levers?
Harley sold a kit but it was discontinued several years ago. I has my dealer pull up the parts list from the kit and order the parts individually. Ordering each of the parts, rather than the kit, makes this approach an expensive proposition. In any case, in 2005, all the parts were available through HD.

Perhaps a dealer has a kit squirreled away, but my dealer's parts guys couldn't find one. From time-to-time they come up on ebay.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is what i have found. the kits are obsolete and no dealer has any on inventory in the u.s. according to several of their parts computers (i tried several large local dealerships). a gentleman was kind enough to pull out his 03 dyna police catalog and send me a list of the individual parts that are listed as components of the kit, so i am going to try today to find out if they are still available. i was hoping there was another source of the defender parts out there like a police forum, etc. i am watching ebay and craigslist, but do not expect to find what i am looking for easily on either site.

my wife has been needing a set of such floorboards for her lowrider for some time. she is very short and forward controls are not feasible. the mid controls are exactly in the wrong spot when she has her feet down trying to push the bike forward or backward - hits her shins on the pegs. plus they are not that comfortable on long rides after a while. any floorboards designed to go on highway peg mounts simply compound that problem because they stick out and backward even more. we have a set of adjustable mini floorboards on the bike now that extend forward some without going backward any from the standard highway peg format. but with the adjustments, they also stick out and make her have to ride with her feet out at least 2-3" on each side which is not as comfortable.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Check on eBay for the police bags. anyone that has those, could also have the rest of the stuff that you need. You might offer a trade.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The last of them are gone. Used to be a place that sold whole kits for $700. Even they no longer list them. I've been tracking the parts since 2005 when my wife got her dyna. Very rare now even on ebay to see them. Everyone knows they are popular and ask way too much!

We have some after market boards that stick way too far out. Would still like to bring them in a bit. Am thinking of having some custom mounts made for them. She wants to continue to use the mid controls. Just wants floor boards under them. I think having custom mounts built will be cheaper!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes we have a set of aftermarket floorboards that are adjustable but they do stick out too far also - not a good solution. the solution that has come up is this: although the floorboard kit is discontinued and obsolete (meaning harley does not sell and no u.s. dealer has any left in stock), each componenet is available separately - you just have to buy them individually now. i just got a list of the complete part numbers that make up the kit (by going to the 03 dyna police catalog and then getting the component numbers that compose the kits) and have just ordered them online from chicagoharley. costs a little more than the kit did originally, but all the parts are available from harley and are still being made. they are required to make the parts for production kits, etc. for 14 years after the bike is discontinued - the last dyna defender series was the 2004 model, so those parts should still be available individually until around 2018 if that makes any sense.

anyway, i will know shortly if all the parts are still available. i asked the local parts man at two different harley dealerships about each part number specifically and was told by each part man that each part was still available, not obsolete and not out of production. it was easier to order the parts and find they are all available than to wait and hope someone sells a floorboard kit on ebay since that's about the only place to find the complete floorboard package nowadays.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
dr dave said:
... just got a list of the complete part numbers that make up the kit (by going to the 03 dyna police catalog and then getting the component numbers that compose the kits) and have just ordered them online from chicagoharley. ....
One thing you need to consider is what you are going to do with the current shift lever that runs through the primary and primary cover. Unlike the old FXRs, this lever is not used by the foot board arrangement. HD sells a chrome "cap" for the end of the shift lever but this approach requires the shift lever be bolted down to the engine. Non destructive removal of the shift lever requires removal of the primary and the plugging of the subsequent hole in the primary. You will also need a "wide-glide" type chain inspection cover - one without the hole. Removing the shift lever results in a much cleaner visual IMO.

A bit of a PITA, but overall worth it.

·
Ironsomething
845 Posts
dr dave said:
a gentleman was kind enough to pull out his 03 dyna police catalog and send me a list of the individual parts that are listed as components of the kit, .

would you possibly be so kind as to post the parts list here for us?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sure. i am away from home until sunday, but when i get back, i will post the part numbers and quantity of each needed. i ordered from chicago harley and i think the total of all components (including every nut, washer, etc.) was about 675.00. all parts were available, but most had to be ordered from the factory. none were discontinued or unavailable. this was for the 50601-01 kit. i believe there was a chrome kit 50580-01, but i was told by the parts man the chrome version parts were no longer available. i am not sure that is true, because i did not have the parts numbers for the few pieces that would have been chromed in the chrome kit (there are several of the pieces chrome in the standard kit) - so i could not specifically ask for them. i have a local powder coater close to me, and if i do not want to chrome the few black pieces, i will get him to powdercoat them the color of the bike.

if you get one of the 03 dyna police catalogs, the components are supposedly listed.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
dr dave said:
....if you get one of the 03 dyna police catalogs, the components are supposedly listed.
Have your dealer pull up the Instructions - J01921, the DYNA Floorboard Kit, Kit Number 50601-01. It has the parts list and installation instructions.

·
Cruisin' on down the road
600 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
[QUOTE= i believe there was a chrome kit 50580-01, but i was told by the parts man the chrome version parts were no longer available. i am not sure that is true, because i did not have the parts numbers for the few pieces that would have been chromed in the chrome kit )

I have had both sets brand new. The only difference between the "chrome" set and the "standard" set (other than $150 higher list price when they were available) was that the chrome set had a 2-piece chrome shift lever similar to a Road King or Electra Glide. The splined shift lever is longer for this version. All of the other parts in the set are the exact same part numbers. So the only thing extra that was chrome was the 2-piece shift lever. The floorboards are chrome in both sets. Pretty steep price difference for just that!
Note: Although the floorboards and 2-piece shift lever look the same as the FL bikes, they are not. The spacing for the brackets is different on the floorboards and the lengths and offset are different on the shift levers.
A tip for anyone with the set-up with the one piece shift lever: You can remove the casting mold lines with a file and very fine sandpaper and then use a buffing wheel with the appropriate compounds and make that lever look as nice as chrome. I did it to mine and it looks great. Took a few hours but the results were worth it. I just polish it a little when I do my wheels once a year.Harley sold a chrome one piece lever as an accessory but it was around $90. .............'Bean

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
For what it's worth, a guy named Thomas in the parts dept. at Heart of Dixie H-D in Pelham Al swears he has 4 sets of the Police board kits in stock. Might give him a call.

205-560-1234

RR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts