V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My over do update on my newest 95"build:

It seems that my 01 Dyna may not yield me all the power I hope for. I think the more Tq then I expected and the less HP then I expected is do to my own head work. Even with bigger valves apparently the motor needs to breathe better. I am very happy with the wheelie popping TQ I now have, and the motor dose pull hard well over 6200 rpms. The DTT ignition helped the top end but I have it set back in till I can get a custom map because of low rpm light pinging. My 2>1 pipe is not the best (Hard Chrome) but they look & sound oh so good. The best part of the build is by far the S&S gear drive (585). No more worries about cam chain failures. My top end is a lot quieter with the new lifters/roller rockers and oil pump. I feel I have improved top end/cam reliability but I only have a modest improvement in power. It seems that the build I did on my Dyna (mid last year) will not yield me all the power I hope for. I blame the more Tq then I expected and the less HP then I expected on my own head work. Even with bigger valves apparently the motor needs to breathe better. I am very happy with the wheelie popping TQ I now have, and the motor dose pull hard well over 6200 rpms. The DTT ignition helped the top end but I have it set back in till I can get a custom map because of low rpm light pinging.
My 2>1 pipe is not the best (Hard Chrome) but they look & sound oh so good. The best part of the build is by far the S&S gear drive. No more worries about cam chain failures. My top end is a lot quieter with the new lifters/roller rockers and oil pump. I feel I have improved top end/cam reliability but I only have a modest improvement in power. I have about 8K miles on this build now and I have done countless jetting/timing combos. One day I might spring for a Dyno tune to wake up what’s left out of the motor. I had over 30K on the old 95" build I did a fews years back.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Kags -

We have similar builds. Mine's tame down low -- no wheelies. I'm making 90+ torque up to 3300 or so, then breaks 100 and holds it to 5500 or so. Power comes on smooth, but linear - no "hit." Revs hard and fast. I also have a slight ping very low -- on initial takeoff when I let out the clutch and don't give any gas. I bought the cable to do a and will do a custom DTT map too come warmer weather.

I think I'd see more torque sooner with a Woods 8, but the 585s run well - and I like how tractable it is in normal driving. The motor is smooth and the power delivery is deceptive. On a poorly-prepped "long, black dyno" I ran an 11.99 @ 114, so it's making real power while running well. I'm thinking I'll keep mine as-is until rebuild time a few years from now. FWIW.

GC

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DanNZ said:
I didnt see any mention of Carb or Compression, Two major players in TQ & HP, Whats the story with these?

HSR-42 carb (42.5 pilot stock needle 175 main) with corected (cc'ed chambers) 10.5:1 CR. I get avg 42 mpg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts