V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
88" to 95"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

going from 88" to 95" for a 2005 Dyna wide glide w/EFI . Do I still use the cylinder deck o-ring gasket and do I need to replace the inner cam bearings. Should I add roller rocker arms and SE lifters, and do I need to clay pistons.

my changes are

95" big bore
SE HTCC forged pistons
SE HTCC
251 cam
SE II slip-ons
SE high flow air cleaner
SE perfect push rods
SE EFI HTCC intake manifold
SE high compression cylinder studs
SE high compression head gaskets
And tune SERT #17 map

·
Registered
646 Posts
You always change the gaskets and O rings, so yes you do use and need new ones on the cylinder bases. I always change cam bearings anytime I change cams, cheap insurance. Roller rockers, big question. Roller rockers will help correct for screwed up valve train geometry, will decrease valve stem tip wear, reduce frictional losses, give you an exspensive item to discuss while bench racing, etc. Do they work? Yep. Are they necessary, no. With your setup I wouldn't bother, unless you just have the money and want them. As for claying the setup, I honestly have to admit to never installing a set of 251's yet. People seem to go much larger with me, or they just use the 203's etc. The HTTC heads and pistons did have some clearance issues when they came out. However I believe that is not an issue anymore, and I believe there is not an issue with the 251's in your setup. However I would seek a different opinion for clarification as I bailed on the whole harley thing about 5 months ago and cant remember half of it. Over all I think your set up is good, the only thing I would consider is a different exhaust, however your bike will run great anyway.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I clay all the of the larger cams, and have not seen any problem with the 251 and the htcc set ups. The cam is a weird stick, I know that it is close to others but IT does not make the same power. I would use the 257 over the 251 myself as it seems to work better with that set up and with a light bike like the Dyna it will zip right along add a 3.37 primay gearing and it will get there even quicker.

AS for the 95 kit the o-ring you are talking about is on the top cylinder dowl. If that is the one your are speaking of HD has that info inthe service manual and you do not use the o-ring . I would use the metal Se head gasket if you are using all SE parts. And again they do not use any o-ring either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.