V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Corbin Young Guns seat on Ebay for a very attractive price. It is in great shape. Only downer for me is it is gray and after installing it on the bike the color stands out too much for me.
How difficult is it to dye this thing black?
I have no problem taking it to a leather worker to do the job but then again I don't want to get caught in the rain and end up with a black streak down the back of my jeans.
The leather is in too good of shape to think about re-covering it, unless that is the cheapest way to go.

·
Administrator
11,285 Posts
I would recover it. But many auto parts store that also carry auto paints have vinyl dy in a spray can. The stuff is pretty permanent compared to a convectional dy, water won't take it off. Usually $5-10 a can and you can spray the seat all assembled (not on the bike). It may take an occasional touch up to keep the gray from bleeding through. This is a cheap thing you could try before going through the expense of recovering.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
If it is 100% leather and has no vinyl trim, you can dye it black with Doc Bailey's. I dyed a pair of brown boots black with it. They turned out great. I use Doc's on my leather seat, also, and have no problems with it rubbing off on my pants once it dries.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
If this is actually leather and not vinyl, you can easily dye it. Get the dye from a shoe repair store. Get liquid, not spray. The spray is enamel, it'll crack. Wipe down the leather well with acetone, let it almost dry, then use the swab that comes with the dye to cover the seat. I usually do the dye twice. Then you can polish it up with neutral polish, unless you'll wear black pants. If you do, then you can polish with black!:chopper:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts