V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 FLHTC with factory dunlops (5K & good tread left). I have experimented with various pressure settings in front and back ranging from 36 psi to 40 psi. The uneasy feeling I get is when I am in a turn and lean the bike over, it feels as if the tires are not sticking well or will soon slide out. It has not slid out or anything but I know how good tires feel in a car in turns. I do not go crazy or anything with speed but HD tells me Dunlops are the best for this bike.

I am wondering if you all recommend a better tire. Dunlop tells me the Elite III would be anexcellent choice. Avons in my opinion are too expensive.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
You have expressed very well how I feel about the Dunlops in turns. My front is still good and haven't changed it. I did change to the 150 Metzler ME880 on the rear and can feel a difference although I'm sure I'll feel far more when the front gets changed. I've decided to go to a 140 ME880 in front when the time comes... and I am getting impatient.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
beautiful bike 8 ball. I like the skinny white wall on my bike but will get over it. Thanks for the input. I will look at the Metzlers.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I don't have any experience with avons but went with metzeler marathons for second set of tires and they are a much better tire. they handle better in turns, over cracks and grids don't move the bike at all. when it's wet out much better tire.

good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I've run stock and GT 502 dunlops, Avon Venoms and Metzeler 880's ( as well as ME 99 's and ME-1 Lazers on another bike) . The Avons and Metzelers are pretty close all around , both preferrable to the dunlops IMHO .

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
8-Ball said:
You have expressed very well how I feel about the Dunlops in turns. My front is still good and haven't changed it. I did change to the 150 Metzler ME880 on the rear and can feel a difference although I'm sure I'll feel far more when the front gets changed. I've decided to go to a 140 ME880 in front when the time comes... and I am getting impatient.
A 140 for the front? Hmmm. I run the 130 on the front of my Ultra. What kind of improvement do you think running a 140 up front might give you? I can't find a 140 Metzeler specifically for the front. The biggest I see is a 130. At least on Ron Ayers site anyway.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
rustyrun said:
I have an 02 FLHTC with factory dunlops (5K & good tread left). I have experimented with various pressure settings in front and back ranging from 36 psi to 40 psi. The uneasy feeling I get is when I am in a turn and lean the bike over, it feels as if the tires are not sticking well or will soon slide out. It has not slid out or anything but I know how good tires feel in a car in turns. I do not go crazy or anything with speed but HD tells me Dunlops are the best for this bike.

I am wondering if you all recommend a better tire. Dunlop tells me the Elite III would be anexcellent choice. Avons in my opinion are too expensive.

Thanks
You shouldn't be "experimenting" with tire pressures. All you are doing is lowering the life of the tire and messing with its "Handling" characteristics. The only tire you should alter pressure in is the rear and that is only if you are carrying a load or a passenger.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Metzelers... I just put them on last month, replaced the Dunlops. With the dunlops I had the same "unsafe" feeling in the turns but with the metzelers it feels like I am sticking to the road.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Run with the Metzlers... They handle great! I just went to a Avon "Venom" for the rear and I really like them too! Avon seems to be alittle more tacky then the Metzlers... Dump the Dunlops

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
timbo said:
A 140 for the front? Hmmm. I run the 130 on the front of my Ultra. What kind of improvement do you think running a 140 up front might give you? I can't find a 140 Metzeler specifically for the front. The biggest I see is a 130. At least on Ron Ayers site anyway.
Crap... I just assumed that they made a 140... checked the Metzler catalogue and they don't list it. Maybe by the time I am ready, they will have it. I just like the look of of a fatter tire up there ala Exile Cycles... not looking for handling change.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
8-Ball said:
Crap... I just assumed that they made a 140... checked the Metzler catalogue and they don't list it. Maybe by the time I am ready, they will have it. I just like the look of of a fatter tire up there ala Exile Cycles... not looking for handling change.
They make a 150 for the front.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i used metzler marathons for the last 10 years on my fatty. the last set were made in brazil not germany. they do not feel the same or am i dreaming?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Any body wont to but a set of dunlops? just mounted a new set. I wish I w. ould of meet youens sooner. I guess I need to do like springer and smoke em down to the cords and try me a set of these metzlers I have been hearing so much about.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I guess I need to do like springer and smoke em down to the cords and try me a set of these metzlers I have been hearing so much about.[/QUOTE]
thats exactly what i did, i had had fun and gave me an excuse to change. Besides i hated the thin whitewall....Metz's all the way for me....

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
@gree:
JRS said:
I run an Avon Venom X in the back and it seems to stick better than the stock Dunlop.
I have them on front & back and love them. Will never put another Dunlop on bike unless tire gets chewed up and that's all they have a shop and I can't get home without it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been comparing Metzler and Avon 150's for the rear of my '05 SEEG. Why does the Me880 have such a low load rating? 72H vs. 77H for the Dunlop. The new E3 from Dunlop is supposed to be greatly improved but without the option to upgrade to a 150.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks. I see that now. Now I have to find a place that carries the nww. I have a EG Classic and in my opinion it looks better with narrow white wall. Amazing thing how prices differ. Anybody have any experience with this company?
http://americanmototire.com/

They seem to have the best prices even with shipping.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts