V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing a spring inspection the rear Dunlop American Elite Tire has cracks all around the tire about 1 inch from center on both sides, very odd I have never seen this on a Tire with only 5k miles with 8/32 of tread.
The tire was bought June 3rd 2020, the DOT 4419.
The side wall is perfect, it looks to be hot spots about the size of a Quarter in a consistent pattern 1" from center on both sides, Tire PSI has been 40, The tire was spin balanced when installed July 2020.
No burn outs, just ridden on one road trip. very odd
I sent an email to Dunlop but no reply yet.
Anybody seen this before?
tire1.jpg
tire.jpg
tire2.jpg

·
Registered
305 Posts
The racers have a name for that.....CRS
I think you are OK unless you start throwing chunks.
If it was a Metzeler I would truly concerned as I had two that
Threw the tread off.
The tire dealer said it was common for them.
Back to your cracks, it looks like burnouts?
Hard acceleration?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The racers have a name for that.....CRS
I think you are OK unless you start throwing chunks.
If it was a Metzeler I would truly concerned as I had two that
Threw the tread off.
The tire dealer said it was common for them.
Back to your cracks, it looks like burnouts?
Hard acceleration?
No burn outs , but I do Throttle up and down in the Mountain roads where I live.
What does CRS stand for ?

·
Super Moderator
21,145 Posts
That's were the hard rubber is blended to the regular rubber on an AE. And they will sometimes chafe in cool weather.

I would run the air up 5lbs and run it. Just have a looksee when you add air moving forward.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the next rear tire will be Michelin Commander III Touring Tire.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's were the hard rubber is blended to the regular rubber on an AE. And they will sometimes chafe in cool weather.

I would run the air up 5lbs and run it. Just have a looksee when you add air moving forward.
Thanks , I had been running 40 psi. I'll bet it's from heavy acceleration and Decell braking on the mountain roads around here. the Bike had 6year old wore out Michelin Commander III on the bike when i bought it, with no cracks on it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thermodyne I think you got it on the money, hard compound meets the Soft compound.
I did check out some track /tire stories, if It was riding on a high speed track, it might be cold tear, or suspension problem, Ect.
Even to much weight on the rear on the 5k mile road trip. like you said keep a weather eye out on it. Cheers

·
Registered
302 Posts
44 - 45 psi. will be your friend on that tire on the twisties, if you think about it, warm the tires up at the begining of your rides. That weaving back and forth that you see road racers doing at low speed is done for a reason, getting the tire up to temp so that it doesn't crack or chunk. Those hairline squirm marks don't hurt anything in the long run.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, Dunlop returned a reply, sounds like I packed the ride too heavy in the rear for the road trip, and Rear tire psi may have been a tad low.
The rear tire was just installed before the trip, it started out at 40psi,but I never checked it during the trip. it must of been all the heavy throttle and decell in the twist's mountain roads

here is the reply from Dunlop.
Thanks for sending the pictures. This appearance is a superficial “chaffing” of the compound that results from a combination of operating conditions and road surfaces. The location on the tread face corresponds with the outer edge of the contact patch and occurs from the tread face deflection with the road surface. We have found that inflation pressures and / or load seem to be the most influential, but none the less the condition is limited to the surface of the rubber and does not affect the overall safety or performance of the tire.

THOMAS LEE
Consumer Affairs

Dunlop Motorcycle Tires
8656 Haven Ave
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
800-845-8378
716-279-3579
June 24th to July ?? ready for another road trip, Reno,NV to mt RushMore SD, 4th of July National Tour To see President Trump

·
Registered
4 Posts
While doing a spring inspection the rear Dunlop American Elite Tire has cracks all around the tire about 1 inch from center on both sides, very odd I have never seen this on a Tire with only 5k miles with 8/32 of tread.
The side wall is perfect, it looks to be hot spots about the size of a Quarter in a consistent pattern 1" from center on both sides, Tire PSI has been 40, The tire was spin balanced when installed July 2020.
View attachment 269198 View attachment 269199 View attachment 269200 View attachment 269198 View attachment 269199 View attachment 269200
View attachment 269198 View attachment 269199 View attachment 269200 View attachment 269198 View attachment 269199 View attachment 269200
Tires have a expiration date. Usually 6 years after they are made. You may have bought a old/new tire.. The last four numbers will tell you when the tire was made. Found a YouTube on that "how do I determine the age of my tires"..

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought American elite Dunlop tires I believe in 2015. Had serious cupping issues at 8k miles on the back tire. Went back to OEM and never had problems with them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tires have a expiration date. Usually 6 years after they are made. You may have bought a old/new tire.. The last four numbers will tell you when the tire was made. Found a YouTube on that "how do I determine the age of my tires"..
The DOT code is the manufacture date, looks like the 44th week of 2019

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had 2 sets of Dunlop AE 4's on my bike and been very happy with them. I'll keep them but watch for your problem.
Thanx for the head's up though.
Last summer in the Black Hills I talked to a Dunlop tire rep. about tire pressure. He asked me how I rode and then suggested 42 lbs (front) & 44 in the rear. I really didn't notice any difference but will stick with that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts