V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here tried the new Dunlop Elite 3 tire? I need new tires and was looking at these or the metzlers. I have always ran the 491 Elite II on my Ultra and just wanted to change.

Deac

These tires would be for the Ultra as well.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I put a Dunlop Elite 3 rear tire on about 8,000 miles ago. It appears to be wearing good and I don't have any complaints about handling either although I haven't had an occasion to ride in really heavy rain since installing it. Still plenty of tread left even after a 6,480 mile trip riding 2 up and pulling a trailer.

I also used the 491's on the rear prior to this. I like the handling better on the E3 in the mountain curves.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
ED Y
What is the tire size and part nmber of the tire you put on.
Was it on your 99 EG?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
LittleBear said:
ED Y
What is the tire size and part nmber of the tire you put on.
Was it on your 99 EG?
Yes, it was my 99 EG. I put on a MT90B16 which is same size as stock Dunlop 402 that came on the bike and also the same size as the 491's I was running on the rear.

Don't know about part #'s. I just call a local guy that has a BMW/Honda shop and tell him to order the tire size, pull my wheel and he installs and balances it for me.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Thanks for the info. The reason I asked, I did not see it on Dunlap's web site. I will look again.
Thanks again.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

Thanks, Ed Y. I will order me a set today. I think that they will handle better than the 491, but the 491 is hard to beat.

Deac

·
Banned
128 Posts
The Elite 3 is basically a copy of Avon's Venom series tire. If your going to consider the Elite 3, I would recommend just getting an Avon. Much better selection of tire sizes in both bias and radial ply.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My friend and I installed the new Dunlop Elite 3's Sunday night and I have not had a chance to ride them a long way as of now. I will ride over Thanksgiving and let everyone know how they handle and ride. I think I am really going to like them.

Deac

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Ed Y said:
Yes, it was my 99 EG. I put on a MT90B16 which is same size as stock Dunlop 402 that came on the bike and also the same size as the 491's I was running on the rear.

Don't know about part #'s. I just call a local guy that has a BMW/Honda shop and tell him to order the tire size, pull my wheel and he installs and balances it for me.
I followed the link and the only sizes they have listed for the Elite III in 16" wheels is 180 and 250 widths.

Are you sure you got an Elite III Ed?

I want to stick with my 150/80/16's

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Seahag said:
I followed the link and the only sizes they have listed for the Elite III in 16" wheels is 180 and 250 widths.

Are you sure you got an Elite III Ed?

I want to stick with my 150/80/16's
Go back and click on "bias" instead of "radial". They are there. And yes mine is a MT90B16.

I only see these sizes though for the rear: MV85B15 MT90B16 MU90B16 160/80B16 though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts