V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Deuce is in need of new tires and I'm comparing Dunlop, Avon & Metzler. I had thought I was decided on the Avon Venom 90/90/21 for the front and the Avon Storm 160/70R/17 for the rear, but my dealer showed me a Dunlop D407 170/60R/17 for the rear and now I'm thinking that I should at least research this tire. I believe the D407 tire is the OE tire on the 07' CVO Dyna & SE Road King. The tire is not listed on Dunlop's website and I can't get info on it such as design features, width & height. I have requested info from Dunlop, but haven't heard back from them yet. I'd like to hear opinions from anyone with experience with these tires.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
This is all I could find -- translated:

Dunlop developed the Cruiser tire D407 particularly for Harley-Davidson models. The new radial ply tyre with optimized profiling is approved for speeds up to 240 km/h.

Ever faster and HP-stronger sportsmen do not only place ever larger and more varied requirements against the tyre, also the requirements with Cruisern constantly rise: Apart from high run achievement also Cruiser tires are to shine by handiness and to bring the constantly growing engine torque reliably on the road.

Therefore Dunlop developed the new Cruiser radial ply tyre D407 with new profile, on which different Harley-Davidson types leave the work starting from model year 2007: the Fat Boy for example in front in the record-suspicious dimension 140/75 R17 and in the back in the Custom size of 200/55 R17. With the 200er rear tires are besides the models Softail Custom, Night Train and “Screamin' Eagle” Springer Softail bereift. For further, already ex factory capacity and uprated hp “Screamin' Eagle” models the D407 is in the back in the size of 170/60 R17 available - dimension dependent than V-tires (to 240 km/h) or than H-tires (to 210 km/h).

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PR3VS56 said:
This is all I could find -- translated:

Dunlop developed the Cruiser tire D407 particularly for Harley-Davidson models. The new radial ply tyre with optimized profiling is approved for speeds up to 240 km/h.

Ever faster and HP-stronger sportsmen do not only place ever larger and more varied requirements against the tyre, also the requirements with Cruisern constantly rise: Apart from high run achievement also Cruiser tires are to shine by handiness and to bring the constantly growing engine torque reliably on the road.

Therefore Dunlop developed the new Cruiser radial ply tyre D407 with new profile, on which different Harley-Davidson types leave the work starting from model year 2007: the Fat Boy for example in front in the record-suspicious dimension 140/75 R17 and in the back in the Custom size of 200/55 R17. With the 200er rear tires are besides the models Softail Custom, Night Train and “Screamin' Eagle” Springer Softail bereift. For further, already ex factory capacity and uprated hp “Screamin' Eagle” models the D407 is in the back in the size of 170/60 R17 available - dimension dependent than V-tires (to 240 km/h) or than H-tires (to 210 km/h).
Thanks PR, that's the most information I've seen so far. Hopefully Dunlop will get back to me soon with tire dimensions...

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dunlop got back to me with the following:

Model - Size - OD - Width

D407 - 170/60-17 - 25.48" - 6.67"

The Dunlop D407 has angled lateral grooves that effectively evacuate water away from the contact patch area. The computer optimized tread profile maximizing handling performance while the rear tire compound provides outstanding wet and dry grip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts