V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between a Dunlop 402 and the 491 Elite II? Will the 491 work ok on a touring Harley??? Size I'm looking at is MT90B16

·
Registered
81 Posts
JimmyK said:
The 491's would look like crap because of the raised white letters.

http://www.discountmotorcycletire.com/dunlop_s.html?mgiToken=1PC53MI3PNRJ37139G
The 491's can be had without the RWL's...... I had this tire 2 times... Great wear rate, but the tractive effort really sux... not the tire to run if the roads are damp or in a rain shower.... I ended up switching to the Metz ME880 and it doesn't wear as long as the 491, but the traction and feel is where I need it to be.... Just my .02 worth....

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, the one I'm looking at is a black wall. Rain/wet roads are really not too much of an issue in Las Vegas. Rains once a year or so. When it does, it's slick as ice due to the oil build up on the road. I wouldn't dream of riding in the rain here, regardless of the tire.

What I need to know is what, specifically, is the difference between a Dunlop 402 and a Dunlop 491 Elite II? Tread pattern? Tread compound? Sidewall stiffness? Belting?

Or if anyone knows Dunlop's website, steer me there...

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the 491's are not as "sticky" as the 402???

·
Registered
81 Posts
you got it..... they are harder than woodpecker's lips.....

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Copy that. Tires get harder as they age anyway. Last thing I want is hard rubber to start with...

I'll look for a 402 or the 880's

Thanks all

·
Registered
81 Posts
my sugg... go with the 880's..... better tire for the money.... 140 on the rear as well....

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
DevilHog said:
my sugg... go with the 880's..... better tire for the money.... 140 on the rear as well....
Is there enough space between tire and lower belt guard inside skirt for a 140?

I've repurchased the 402 for the rear. 21000kms...equates to 14k miles or so......I tell ya, I like the Dunlops.

They behave beautiful in the wet. Confidence over ruts, and the front will slide at the same rate as the rear. (.......up here on the Wet Coast.), and.......the rear's wear vs front's does not affect handling

Tracks like a freight train around fast sweepers........going fast:D

Have had great success with Metzelers on my other bikes. Especially the Laser. Use it on my Sporty and the Interceptor......but for this big rig, the Dunlops behave well

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
Flyer, i'm glad you like the 402s. I think the amount of miles you get out of any tire is all in how a person takes care of them. I will check air pressure every week. I will also run max. air in the rear. I just hope i'm happy with my new Dunlops also :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts