V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anybody used these tires ? I seen them on a site for a real good price.Are they comparable to the D401? thanks for any replys............Gary
***you're talking about tires here...nothing that would pertain to the TC88 thread***
apache36

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Dunlop 404 tire

Dunlop 404 tireLow budget tire, try the new high mile elite3 they discountinued the 491 elite 2, I got around 13,000 on a rear tire with a hand full of burn outs. the new elite 3 looks more like a sport bike tire but has a higher load rating. I have the new Elite 3 tire like em.
good luck on your choice

·
Life is short pray hard!
131 Posts
If you are on a very tight budget then the 404's will work. They are a cheap tire, you get what you pay for! Check the load ratings because some of the 404's have a lighter load rating than the H.D. 401's. My personal preference is Metzeler ME880's. IMHO they handle much better than the Dunlop's and last longer and I think others here will agree. Many people really like the Avon Venom's, I personally have never run the Avon's. Tires in my opinion are not the place to save a few bucks, remember you only have 2 tires between you and the pavement! The Metzeler's and Avon's will cost twice as much as the Dunlop 404's but the improvement in handling, traction and piece of mind are worth the extra price in my book. Good luck in your decision, keep the shinny side up and the rubber side down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been riding on various Dunlop's for eight years....living by the cliche, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well, after reading and hearing great things about the Metzeler 880, I decided to try them on my FXD. The result is fantastic: a tremendous increase in handling and feel at a price not too much higher than Dunlop. I don't know how many miles they'll go, but handling is more important than longevity to me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I put a 404 on my the rear of my wife's Heritage. The dealer told me there was no difference between it and the 402 except that the 404 is made in Japan, and is cheaper.

WRONG.

She got 5,000 miles out of that tire rather than the normal 10,000 to 12,000. I would not use one again.

Regards,

Bill

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
i bought a pair of Metzler 880's off Eastern Performance's ebay site for less than $200 inc. shipping.:thumbsup: that was back in June

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dunlop D-404's

Anybody used these tires ? I seen them on a site for a real good price.Are they comparable to the D401? thanks for any replys............Gary
***you're talking about tires here...nothing that would pertain to the TC88 thread***
apache36
Hello..Just put a set of 404's on my BMW K-75 and don't mind telling you, are the very worst tires I have ever ridden...No cornering stability and it feels like you are on knife blades going straight...This applies to ANY tire pressure I have tried...Have to pull them off as I cannot STAND it..Dennis Kirk needs to completely obliterate this line from their stock.(and told them so)..The word about these tires needs to be fully out on the net..Paul G.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts