V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ride, I occasionally forget what gear I'm in. (Makes it a pain to know when to downshift or upshift)

Is there an easy way to remember? Or is it just an experience thing? (Something I don't have enough of - but getting there.)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
You got ears?.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Profile:
Motorcycle Year/Make.............

Get a bike!...:D

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Upshifting.. When in doubt, up shift again to see if you have another one.

Downshifting.. Use caution.

Like they said, ears and a tach will help. Ears especially.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
jockeyshift said:
Ears especially.
Says one with an Avatar looking like that!!!...:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well.. I hoped it wasn't too dumb of a question - I am a n00b. :(

But, I have ridden a few times at around 40-50 and honestly couldn't remember if I was in 3, 4, or 5.

I should pay more attention. :)

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
harleyhog said:

Says one with an Avatar looking like that!!!...:D
:D :D You've got some ears too. :D

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
hd2be said:
Well.. I hoped it wasn't too dumb of a question - I am a n00b. :(

But, I have ridden a few times at around 40-50 and honestly couldn't remember if I was in 3, 4, or 5.

I should pay more attention. :)
..no dumb question but WTF is a "n00b"???:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hogg831 said:

..no dumb question but WTF is a "n00b"???:confused:
Lingo from another board.. sorry. :)

Newbie to riding (got my license 4 years ago, by taking MSF class, but haven't really ridden since then, until the end of this past summer.)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
jockeyshift said:
:D :D You've got some ears too. :D
Yeah, but mine are 'Tuneable', Down to the sound.
Yours are listenin for Nuts fallin!!!...:D

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
OK, but now what does it mean? Congrats on the MSF but 4 years is a long time, ready for refresher?!?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
hd2be said:
Newbie to riding (got my license 4 years ago, by taking MSF class, but haven't really ridden since then, until the end of this past summer.)
Keep on asking, no questions too daft. If it is the monkey'll answer it...:D
Ya might get some strange answers though...:eek:

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. It's not unusual for a new rider particularly one new to Harleys to be unfamilar with how it should sound but like Jockeyshift said, careful on the downshift. You don't want to over rev or throw yourself over the handlebars. Pay attention to your speedo in the various gears and listen. With time you'll know what it sounds like in each gear at different speeds. Then you can concentrate on all the wonderful other noises a Harley makes and worry about that. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It takes time but you will get the hang of it. Good luck and keep the sticky side down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hogg831 said:
OK, but now what does it mean? Congrats on the MSF but 4 years is a long time, ready for refresher?!?
Just that I'm new to riding (more or less).

Re: Refresher: my dad and I are both signing up in March as soon as the new dates come out from the local community college.
He took the Harley class but was totally unsatisfied - they didn't really try to explain anything, and kinda assumed that everybody knew how to ride already. (The only people who passed were people that had ridden for a few years and were back just for a refresher)

Originally posted by harleyhog Keep on asking, no questions too daft. If it is the monkey'll answer it...
Ya might get some strange answers though...
Cool. I was kinda unsure w/ the first couple replies.. like.. "damn.. maybe I shouldn't have asked that. They'll think I'm an idiot.." :)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
hd2be said:
They'll think I'm an idiot.." :)
90% of the people in here are idiots!!! :eek: on-line anyway.
>>>>>>>>>.............runs for cover..

Everybody, If you Don't get a P.M. from me in the next 10 mins you're a 10%'er!!!...:D

·
Registered
347 Posts
hd2be,

Don't worry about posting any questions you have. You may think a question is silly but chances are there's somebody else that is wondering the same thing. We were all n00bs at one time.

First of all listen to the engine when you're riding to determine when you need to shift to another gear. Most bikes especially cruisers don't have a tach but most manuals have a recommended speed at which you should change gears. However, after some riding experience your ears will be a more precise gauge of shift points and you won't have to check the speedometer at all.

On my Sportster it's sometimes hard to tell if I'm in 4th or 5th gear. They sound pretty much the same. I usually just pull in the clutch and upshift. If I can't go up anymore then I know I'm in 5th.

Good luck with the refresher course. If possible try to get a bike to practice on as soon as possible after the class so you won't forget what you've learned.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
02 Sporty said:
On my Sportster it's sometimes hard to tell if I'm in 4th or 5th gear. They sound pretty much the same. I usually just pull in the clutch and upshift. If I can't go up anymore then I know I'm in 5th.
Mine is the same way. I have tried and tried to find 6th gear and it's just not there.

Like 02 Sporty said, Don't worry about posting a question, whether you think it's dumb or not. Thats what makes this forum great. We are all here to help each other.

Just watch out for the HarleyHog guy over in the UK though. :D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The more I look at your ears the more I think of a thing my GrandFather used to say....'You're not as green as you're Cabbage looking'.
Ears like Cabbages I must say...:D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts