V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do we have to buy one? Why can't the dealer just use a unit and charge us for the labor of mapping and tuning?

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
In addition to the tax. You can't put a SERT on more than one bike I don't think. So can't really use a "used" one. I'm sure they built them that way on purpose.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<In addition to the tax. You can't put a SERT on more than one bike I don't think. So can't really use a "used" one. I'm sure they built them that way on purpose.>

Wait a minute here, I thought the SERT was simply a device for remapping the ECU, not a piggyback device like a PCIII. If the unit doesn't stay on the bike, what's the problem?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
mahlerite said:
<In addition to the tax. You can't put a SERT on more than one bike I don't think. So can't really use a "used" one. I'm sure they built them that way on purpose.>

Wait a minute here, I thought the SERT was simply a device for remapping the ECU, not a piggyback device like a PCIII. If the unit doesn't stay on the bike, what's the problem?
You're right about it not being a piggyback device. It is only connected for the duration of the mapping/tuning/etc. The first time you connect to the ECU on the bike the SERT becomes married to it. I believe that it receives the VIN and will only work on the ECU associated with that VIN. Other people here may correct me on the finer technical points, but you shouldn't expect to be able to put maps on al your friends bikes too unless they get their own SERTS.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lunker said:
You're right about it not being a piggyback device. It is only connected for the duration of the mapping/tuning/etc. The first time you connect to the ECU on the bike the SERT becomes married to it. I believe that it receives the VIN and will only work on the ECU associated with that VIN. Other people here may correct me on the finer technical points, but you shouldn't expect to be able to put maps on al your friends bikes too unless they get their own SERTS.
Ahhh...that makes sense. Well, only in the literary sense:)

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
A picture is worth..............

mahlerite said:

....................... a thousand words........

Everyone needs a DONGLE, even your motorcycle :yes:

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Um, Internet = Information

mahlerite said:
Um, what is a dongle?
DONGLE

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A dongle is a small hardware device that connects to a computer to authenticate some piece of software. This was its primary meaning in the computer industry in the 1980s and 1990s. When the dongle is not present, the software runs in a restricted mode or refuses to run. Dongles are used by some proprietary vendors as a form of copy prevention or digital rights management because it is much harder to copy the dongle than to copy the software it authenticates.

ON EDIT: Just read a bit more of that page on Wikipedia, quote out of context,

"Finally, the idea of the 'dongle' came out of a visit that I had made to our Canadian distributors, Canadian Micro Distributors (just slightly unsure if I recall the name correctly), in Milton, Ontario. They had developed a software key in conjunction with their local university and I saw this cube-like device stuck on the cassette port on the back of the Commodore. They avoided my questions about what it was doing but I guessed it was a software key. Upon my return to the UK, I rang Graham and explained what I had seen. It took him only a few days to deduce what it was doing and make a prototype. So, ultimately, we have our Canadian friends to thank for the idea of the Dongle."

So, I guess they did just invent ICE but Dongles also

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts