V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some dull looking spokes - sounds like a tapered brush and a lift makes it easier - whats a good cleaner polisher. And what are they made of anyway ..... they are not chrome are they?:wacko:

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
If they are '04-back wheels, the spokes are cadmium plated. If you polish on them, you will only wear away the plating and cause the spokes to rust.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
John Deppong said:
I have some dull looking spokes - sounds like a tapered brush and a lift makes it easier - whats a good cleaner polisher. And what are they made of anyway ..... they are not chrome are they?:wacko:
I've got a stock Harley laced wheel on my '04 Road King Classic, and no,... the spokes are certainly NOT chrome. They are cadium plated (electro galvanized) which is why they oxidize. I don't know why HD didn't use chrome spokes. I assumed they were chrome when I bought the bike.

On what to clean them with, I've tried S100 wheel cleaner and that doesn't completely do the job, but it helps. The tapered brush is a good idea. Mine are getting dull looking after two years. I may attempt to rebuild the wheel with chrome spokes.

thrasher

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
If they are '04-back wheels, the spokes are cadmium plated. If you polish on them, you will only wear away the plating and cause the spokes to rust.
xxxflhrci, are they using chrome spokes on their '05 and '06 wheels?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
@gree: My '05 XL has a front laced wheel that's all chromed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts