V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm planning a (no passenger) cross country trip this summer and need some opinions on my packing plans. My bike is a Fatboy with a Corbin solo saddle and HD’s (small) saddlebags. First of all, I plan to travel light and stay in motels so a few changes of clothes, some minor toiletries, a few tools, raingear, cell phone etc. is all I need to pack. I have a Harley brand travel/duffle (part #98834-84) which is a cylindrical (11" x 23") bag which can be bungeed to the top of the headlamp/passing lights (and in front of the handlebars) - basically "Then came Bronson" style. The saddlebags can hold gloves, goggles, small tool kit (need recommendations plz), disc lock, rain suit, etc. If I need more gear than that, I was thinking of getting a second water-resistant duffle from REI (or any other recommendations?) and securing it across the “shelf” created by the top of the rear fender and saddlebag tops. I would think that the friction of the wind and vibration would scuff the top of the fender in short order. Do you think that a piece of micro-fiber cloth on top of the fender (perhaps taped to the bottom of the duffle) would alleviate the problem? Any other thoughts?

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I had a leather toolbag strapped to the back of my backrest for about a week - rode 500 or so miles with it there. It rubbed through the clear coat and into the paint on my fairly freshly painted rear fender. Now have dull spot and deep divots all the way across the fender.

I would not put ANYTHING on the rear fender - the vibration from the bike will scuff it.

Depending on how much you want to spend you could put removable back rest mounts with a luggage rack for trips.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One other thought. Rather than micro-fiber cloth. How about the temporary use of a piece of thick Clear Bra material - like the stuff from 3M? Also LLM, what do you mean by deep divots? Scuffs or actual indentations?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
RickinColorado said:
I'm planning a (no passenger) a few tools, small tool kit (need recommendations plz), Any other thoughts?
Big tool kit.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Check out this bag here: http://www.magsbags.com/journeybag.html

I've used it and it comes with tie-down clips to attach to your bags. Easily removable too.

Be sure to put something under it to eliminate any abrasions. I used a cloth made for the commercial cleaning industry to sop up spills.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
RickinColorado said:
One other thought. Rather than micro-fiber cloth. How about the temporary use of a piece of thick Clear Bra material - like the stuff from 3M? Also LLM, what do you mean by deep divots? Scuffs or actual indentations?
Scuffs that go through the entire clear coat and into the paint - they are actually deeper than I thought the clear coat would be.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I have used several types of bags and found these to be the best.

http://www.helen2wheels.com/index.html

They are heavy duty and when used with the straps that they sell, they are very secure. I have logged thousands of miles with mine and it is always the first bag I grab when I start packing. I like the Roll Top Sack because you can pack so many items into them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
This winter I switched to a Mustang solo seat and added the rear fender bib _and_ a Motherwell rack. I put my stuff in a Seal Line waterproof bag, strapped it on and rode 3200 miles to Key West and back. Clothes stayed dry and fender was not scratched.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Be careful about using straps to secure a load. If one fails you don't want it getting in the rear wheel. I believe the shorter the strap the better. The rack is a good idea. Anything in contact with the paint will leave a rub make, including the softest straps. Have fun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I always have had good luck using duct tape on any painted part that could come in contact with a bag. After the trip just remove it and clean residue with prep solve. It's covered by your bag so it can't be seen and you can always add more from the small roll in your tool kit should it wear through.
WUZ FUZ

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

So...naive question: I mentioned that I was planning to strap a H-D leatherette duffle to the top of my headlight/passing lamps ("Bronson style"); is chrome prone to the same chaffing as paint in this situation?

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
RickinColorado said:
Thanks for all of the great suggestions.

So...naive question: I mentioned that I was planning to strap a H-D leatherette duffle to the top of my headlight/passing lamps ("Bronson style"); is chrome prone to the same chaffing as paint in this situation?
Yes! My headlight, rear tail-lights and struts all show buff marks from the throw over saddlebags I used to use!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts