·
<><
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
PR3VS56 said:
I have several friends and acquaintances that either have made the transition or were "there" from the beginning. They are worlds apart in application and actions.

Those that were devout Christians prior to riding never really adopted completely the biker lifestyle, while riding motorcycles is a passion it doesn't supplant their faith and they see their primary mission as bringing faith to the masses.

Those adopting Christianity while in the lifestyle have made it fit...they generally are more understanding/accepting of the actions of those surrounding them in the lifestyle while rarely offering moral guidance, their view tends to be that your choice in life is just that...your choice to make...but will offer advice if asked.

Let me ask this...why do we need a book about it?

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Is there some conflict with professing a religion and driving a bus? or a boat? a horse, a skate board, or a jet ski? so someone rides a motorcycle, what has that got to do with his/her religion? What is a biker anyway but someone that rides a bike. Why perpetuate the 1%'er stereotype? I know dozens of bikers personally (not counting the ones I've met on this board). Every one of them has a job (or retired), some are military, cops, nurses, engineers...etc. Sure we dress like the "village people" and waste too much of our disposable income on chrome, but it doesn't define who we are. I don't know one single person that; when asked "who are you do?" indentify themself with "I'm a biker."

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
DJW said:
I know dozens of bikers personally (not counting the ones I've met on this board). Every one of them has a job (or retired), some are military, cops, nurses, engineers...etc.
It seems pretty apparent that this book isn't about the mainstream doctor, lawyer indian chief "biker" borrowing the image...it applies to those more in the "lifestyle"...again, I ask why do we need a book? Is it a further need to pigeonhole a lifestyle or is there a need to compare moralities with the intent of casting aspersions about one or the other...maybe there is no real noble or ignoble purpose at all...

IMO it's just another attempt to cash in on the now dwindling FAD aspect of biking so why do we need this book again? :D

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
swmnkdinthervr said:
It seems pretty apparent that this book isn't about the mainstream doctor, lawyer indian chief "biker" borrowing the image...it applies to those more in the "lifestyle"...again, I ask why do we need a book? Is it a further need to pigeonhole a lifestyle or is there a need to compare moralities with the intent of casting aspersions about one or the other...maybe there is no real noble or ignoble purpose at all...

IMO it's just another attempt to cash in on the now dwindling FAD aspect of biking so why do we need this book again? :D
I think there's more to it than that. This subject, imo, goes deeper into the soul of the biker and what drives him/her to the biker lifestyle.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
we had to quit going alot of places after we got stronger in the faith.

like some of the overnight campground trips & stuff got rowdy late into the night.

one the bars was pretty good until later on in the evening.

all our friends would want to bar hop home...uh no
...you hit me it might hurt me bad.

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
Maybe it is just a book about something off the beaten path enough that someone thought was interesting enough to write about. At least it is different. I'd much rather see books about topics like this at the bookstore rather than yet another book on cats.

·
doof member
719 Posts
Riding is our common denominator. What we all do when we get off is up to our own preferences. I always admire the charity work the "biker" community does. We all need to choose our activities based on our own convictions. I don't remember that Jesus hung with the pieus rabbi's. He spent his time with the "regular" folks.

I consider myself a Christian biker. Jesus is my saviour. I worship God. They aren't mutually exclusive.

:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
According to the Bible, Jesus was more concerned about what was in the heart of men. Not what they wore or what they ate. He said that the actions of men, motivated by what was in their hearts, told more about them than the way they ate or drank (or to make it apply to today, what they rode, the cut of their hair, or the clothes they wear). Much of what is produced today in the name of Christ is more akin to what Jesus would have gotten angry over. As the Bible says, man looks on the outside appearance, but God looks on the heart.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Where's the book that delves into the "increasing phenomenon" about corporate exec's wanting the "bad boy" image, but also wanting to drink white zinfendel with their pinky sticking out at the opera. Give me a freaking break. Stereotyping is alive and well.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
PR3VS56 said:
I think there's more to it than that. This subject, imo, goes deeper into the soul of the biker and what drives him/her to the biker lifestyle.
While I'd like to believe that why would a Sociologist publish this book on a subject that she (hyphenated) likely knows little about...

Dueling Identities: The Christian Biker examines the emerging phenomena of Christian motorcycle ministries. Qualitative and exploratory in nature, Dueling Identities shines a spotlight onto a subculture that has thus far been un-researched by focusing on the Black Sheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ Motorcycle Ministry (BSHDFC). This research examines the contradictions facing the Christian biker in regard to the conflicting cultural norms and values within the "Christian" and "biker" communities. The Christian biker faces the contradiction of maintaining both the "bad boy" image and the "Christian" image. Seeking to unravel this contradiction, Doreen Anderson-Facile explores how the Christian biker identity is developed and maintained. This study is framed in identity theory which focuses on identity construction, commitment, salience and self -knowledge.

This all of course requires detailed knowledge of a subject we argue about on a daily basis and fewer than half of us even know the meaning of...

About the Author
Doreen Anderson-Facile is assistant professor of sociology in the Department of Sociology at California State University Bakersfield. Her research and teaching areas center on crime and deviance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts