V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
V&H True Dual's and Oval Slip-On's

Hi All - I have an '06 Dresser (FLHTCUI) which I have done nothing with other than cosmetic chrome enhancements. I read quite a bit on this forum about the Vance & Hines true duals and the oval slip-on's and like the style so much I purchased them off of Ebay.

My question is what else should I be doing the same time I have these installed. Should I do a simple Stage 1 air and remap or is there a better air setup you can recommend. Anything else I should consider at the same time to get the best return on the 'upgrade' in pipes?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
If you do nothing other than the exhaust then a remap probably isn't needed.

If you decide to change your intake with a SE or other intake then you will need either a Stage 1 remap or some other device such as a PowerCommander to richen up the fuel load. You might even want a PowerCommander (or similar item) even with a reflash. The HD maps are on the lean side so having both wouldn't hurt.

If you go with the SE intake you might still want to replace the HD air filter with a K&N filter. I don't know at what point HD decided to go with paper filters for the SE applications but I just prefer the K&N setup. There is an exact K&N filter that will fit the SE intake (K&N part number HD-800).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the note...

My long term plans are to add a 95 head kit with a big sucker or SE air cleaner. I am reading here that the true duals lose power int eh low end and alot of people dont like them. Any one want to chime in on why?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many say the V&H true duals are poor performers while some say they are good. I want my dresser to have a nice rumble with good sound when I roll the throttle but mellow at highway speed so I can ride long distances without getting a headache. I have ordered the V&H ovals but am not sure if I should use the V&H duals with it. Any advice?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Duplicitis said:
Many say the V&H true duals are poor performers while some say they are good. I want my dresser to have a nice rumble with good sound when I roll the throttle but mellow at highway speed so I can ride long distances without getting a headache. I have ordered the V&H ovals but am not sure if I should use the V&H duals with it. Any advice?
I have the V/H tru duells on my 02 R/K and love themI will be putting a set of fullsacs on at the end winter,still have good power and sweet lines,If you can tell the difference from duells and 2-1 with the seat of your pants then by a 2-1 and a fake pipe and enjoy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks...I like the look of the true duals and am not worried about the graph or #'s game with a dyno. I just want a nice set of pipes with a nice sound. Sun in shining and I am off to put some more miles on my scoot.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Duplicitis said:
Thanks for the note...

My long term plans are to add a 95 head kit with a big sucker or SE air cleaner. I am reading here that the true duals lose power int eh low end and alot of people dont like them. Any one want to chime in on why?

Thanks
The factory system is what many call a "poor mans two into one". With about 75 percent of the exhaust exiting the r/s . Going to true duals drastically changes the scavanging effect on both cylinders...they dont fill as well at lower rpms and the torque goes away. You WILL feel a big difference down low with the duals and will need a re-map . It may actually be richer down low and lots leaner up top. Based on your future plans, I would reccomend a Race Tuner now.
A quick way to get most of the low end torque back would be to load the map for a heavier bike that comes with duals from H-D. Say an 06 Fat Boy with A/C and slipons. You can go into that map and reduce all the target A/F ratios for both cylinders down to 13.9 any where they are higher. Leave the timing tables alone..they are really pretty good....use the best fuel you can buy as the timing tables are alot more aggressive sooner on the Fat Boy maps.
If it pops on decel...go into the decel enleanment table and start by cutting all the values in half.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know much about V&H true duels, but my Hooker true duels with tuned mufflers indexed toward low end torque rather than high end HP seems to work pretty well. At idle I run a tad rich but the rest of the curve is in the blue on the dyno machine. If you have a fuelie and get true duels a warning comes with them that says that you should get your bike remapped or risk discolored pipes. BTW the dyno on my '98 Stage II Road King was 73HP with Torque at 84.9. Good luck you will love the sound of the true duels.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I have the Bassini power curve on my 06 Street Glide and did not lose any low end torque.They sound and look great.I have been informed they are the only tuned duals out there.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
power curve

Todd i have a streetglide and im torn between power curve and trex how does the bassani sound at idle and cruising can you hear the audio at cruise. also have you changed to 9.5 wind screen the deflector doesnt cut it I also lowered front when installing black forks etc . 06 vivid black

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Duplicitis said:
Hi All - I have an '06 Dresser (FLHTCUI) which I have done nothing with other than cosmetic chrome enhancements. I read quite a bit on this forum about the Vance & Hines true duals and the oval slip-on's and like the style so much I purchased them off of Ebay.

My question is what else should I be doing the same time I have these installed. Should I do a simple Stage 1 air and remap or is there a better air setup you can recommend. Anything else I should consider at the same time to get the best return on the 'upgrade' in pipes?

Thanks in advance.

When you go from factory head pipes to true duals, it is almost like going from a 2 into 1 to true duals. Not changing the fuel mapping will leave the rear cylinder running lean is it won't have the pulse from the front cylinder to help keep the charge in the cylinder during overlap. Putting a Power Commander in is very easy. You can look at their web site and see what maps they have available. If they don't have your exact build, their tech support will tell you which one is closest. You absolutely should do something to the fuel mapping when you go to duals regardless of what you do to the aircleaner or mufflers. The balance between the front and rear cylinders will be way off if you don't.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
todd comer said:
I have the Bassini power curve on my 06 Street Glide and did not lose any low end torque.They sound and look great.I have been informed they are the only tuned duals out there.
You still need to remap the fueling for the reason I stated in my other post. I too have the bassani true duals. Love the sound and performance. There was a big difference in performance when I added the Powercommander on top the dealer stage2 flash. My plugs prior to the PC showed extremely lean on one cylinder.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Duplicitis said:
I have the V&H true duals with oval slipons and the Stage 1. I like them very much at local and highway speeds. Very nice rumble and not too loud at all. I do not notice any neglible performance issues.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Pull your spark plugs and look at them. I bet the front looks quite a bit different from the rear one. They should look close to identical. With just a stage 1 and going to true duals, you cylinder to cylinder fuel balance needs to be altered. The stage I does not do that, it assumes you use the factory head pipe. But, it is still better than leaving it stock as both cylinders are richer than original.

·
Registered
32 Posts
duals

SWDONAHUE said:
I have the V/H tru duells on my 02 R/K and love themI will be putting a set of fullsacs on at the end winter,still have good power and sweet lines,If you can tell the difference from duells and 2-1 with the seat of your pants then by a 2-1 and a fake pipe and enjoy.
Ya V&H and Fullstacks is way to go, those Fullstacks give you a full load to shoot smoke out the chimminey.?prty:

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
tlr said:
I have the V&H true duals with oval slipons and the Stage 1. I like them very much at local and highway speeds. Very nice rumble and not too loud at all. I do not notice any neglible performance issues.
I have V & H Ovals, True Duals and stage-1 also on my Street Glide. When you say stage-1 is that both SE air and reflash? I was told that stage-1 is not sufficient for V & H exhaust and that you need a PC or SERT so I installed a PCIII. How is your bike running with the V & H's and stage-1 set-up? I'm having slow start problems with the PCIII and if I can run my bike without it I will. Thanks

~eddie

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
2 ways to go at this. Since you're going to go to a 95", etc. later anyway get the PC or SERT now and have it tuned when you put the a/c and mufflers/pipes on. Pick whichever one your tuner is most comfortable with. If you have a choice, go SERT.
The other way is to have them install the Stage I flash for a 1550 FX Softail. That's as close as you're gonna get with a flash, but it's cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
MegaGlide said:
2 ways to go at this. Since you're going to go to a 95", etc. later anyway get the PC or SERT now and have it tuned when you put the a/c and mufflers/pipes on. Pick whichever one your tuner is most comfortable with. If you have a choice, go SERT.
The other way is to have them install the Stage I flash for a 1550 FX Softail. That's as close as you're gonna get with a flash, but it's cheap.
United flight 800 heavy, turn right heading two,seven,zero degrees, climb to 13,000 and maintain..BIG DOOF..over

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Cams

Austin,

What cams do you have in your RG? Is there a dyno chart available?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
I have the SE 203 cams in my Roadglide. I don't have a Dyno chart for it yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts