V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of upgrading my front brakes on my hugger to dual disk. Does the additional disk and caliper really make a big difference? How difficult is it to install? thanks for the help.

i also attached a pic of my hugger. hope you guys like it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
gas tank

hey there, where did you get that gas tank , don't look factory, would appreciate the reply. Looks great. Thanks Larry:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Larry

Thanks for the compliment! :) you're right, it's not factory. it's a Custom Chrome Streched Tank (single flush-mount gas cap, right side).

Any comment on the brakes? i'm debating over getting either front dual disk brakes or a mikuni Carb (either Go faster or stop faster. i think stopping faster is the safer and more useful upgrade for where i come from). thanks a lot!

·
Registered
40 Posts
That dualseat looks like the one from the XL883R. Is it? What does your pillion rider think of it?

The XL883R and the XL1200S both have dual front discs as standard equipment. I don't know how hard it is to change a single disc setup to dual disc.

·
Registered
90 Posts
suicide_boy said:
I'm thinking of upgrading my front brakes on my hugger to dual disk. Does the additional disk and caliper really make a big difference? How difficult is it to install? thanks for the help.

i also attached a pic of my hugger. hope you guys like it.
you can get dual front disks for the sportster.....i saw the kit on ebay last week but the auction ended.

btw where did you get that tank.....i must have that

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SamBlob:

It's a Badlander seat. same one as what comes with an 883C. It feels like i'm riding a wooden bench compared to my other older seat. My pillion says it feels like riding a maxipad-shaped brick. not very comfortable, but you get used to it.

Phil2:

yse, there is a dual disk brake kit. it comes with the right side lower fork, right side Brake caliper, rotor (Disk) and the brake reservoir and lever. the kit sells for around $350 in the catalogues. What i'm concerned about is is spending the extra $350 is worth the improvement in braking power? Does the Extra Disk brake really make much of a difference? Maybe Sporster owners who upgraded from regular sporsters to sport/883R's can answer me here.

I got my tank brand new from a swap meet. it's Custom Chrome streched tank. it was still brand new, unpainted and uninstalled when i got it. It went for about $300 which includued all the necessary mounting and ignition relocation hardware and tank-prep. You can check the Custom Chrome catalogues for more info.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Get used to it?

I've had my leather badlander seat on my sporty since last May, looks great. But damn, I can't get used to it. It's like a plank!:D My wife won't even ride on the back of it ! Does look good though.
Sheepboy
01 Sportster
02 Dyna

·
Registered
335 Posts
brake or carb??

yes the 2 discs make a differance that is very noticeable, however i would personally go with a carb upgrade. the work involved isn't that difficult, use the manual read ALL INSTRUCTIONS and look ahead to protect paint chrome etc... good luck either way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts