V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am riding a '00 FXDL and wonder about the dual front brakes. My model seems to be the only year with them installed. Were they standard or optionally installed. What are the pros & cons. I know it will cost me double to replace with chrome calipers, if I decide to.

MCLOWRIDER

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Cons: twice the price for pads when they need replacing.
One other pro is better value for resale!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My FXDXT has one large con, Twice the scrape, scrape, scrape as you go down the road. Very noisy at slow speed. Not bad at all above first gear. Dealer said it is "normal" and nothing can be done about it.

B

·
0 Posts
The scraping noise improves as the pads wear in. Some guys champher (is that the right word for file it down a bit?) the trailing edge of the pads. When it's time to replace the pads, switching to aftermarket sintered pads helps a lot. Other guys change to floating rotors but that's pretty pricey.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Dunno about your particular model and year but twin discs have been standard on some of the Dyna models for years. They give you increased stopping power with less lever effort and are less prone to fade due to heat. If they use the same rotor/caliper as the single disc models brake pad life should approximately be double that of a single disc since the braking effort is shared among two brakes instead of one.

Cons? Easier to lock up the front wheel during panic braking, caliper rebuild/replace is 2x the cost and more unsprung weight (the suspension works a little harder due to more weight from the extra parts - usually only an issue for race bikes).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts