V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that one of the most time consuming tasks when cleaning my bike is drying it off after its been rinsed. I've used clean cotton towels, real leather chamois (shammys) etc., but I've always been concerned about tiny scatches in the finish.

While reading my owners manual (yeah- I'm such a dork I actually sat down and read it cover to cover) it suggested a leaf blower. I tried this out the last time I washed the bike, and guess what - it really works!

Obviously you need to make sure that the blower is clean - you don't want to inadvertently sandblast your sled. You also need to be careful that the tip doesn't get too close and scratch something. But if you start from the top and work your way down you can drive off 99% of the moisture in just a few minutes. It works especially well in places that towels etc. can't reach, such as inside the engine and between the parts of the triple tree.

You can also use a powerful shop vac (make sure the collection bin and hose is clean) by reversing the hose location so it "blows" instead of "sucks"; but don't use compressed air - apparently this is powerful enough to blow moisture etc. past the seals.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yep...........Toro 215 mph Leaf Blower!

..........and no one had better use it for ANYTHING ELSE!:mad:

Been using it for the cars for a couple of years now.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I've been using a Toro electric bike dryer for 10 years now and the other day I saw a neighbor (he's a Gold Wing owner so we haven't actually ever spoken) using his to blow grass clippings and leaves around. i tried it and it woorked pretty good.

Seriously drew...I thought everybody knew that.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Damn what a great idea!!! I never would have thought that it would work so well, and no water spots??? It takes me forever with a few shammys.

Thanks dudes!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I use compressed air at 40 psi at about 2 ft distance. 80 to 100 psi is great for detailing the inside of cars, after vacuuming, be sure to wear glasses.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
yep i use my leaf blower. it is a craftsman shop vac that doubles as a 210mph blower. works like a charm!!! as for my autos i use a squeegy called a california tbar. works well. i also found that using the harley sunny day bike wash on your autos works well and doesnt leave as many water spots either.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Get a pressurizable sprayer (like you use to apply insecticide).

Fill it with distilled water, pump it up, and do a final rinse with it.

You can now let it air dry with NO SPOTS.

wyo

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've used the 5 H.P. Craftsman shop vac but nothing has worked as good as the Echo Back Pack Lawn Blower. Thats some high speed drying power!!!:D

Sorry you guys were missing out. I thought everybody knew about that one!!:cool:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yep, I start up my 900 horsepower air boat and let some of my neighbors blow their hot air on it (they're full of it) before ya know it, she's dry as a whistle.
But seriously I thought everybody used nuclear power plant blowers........Geeeesh!

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
When my buddies watch me dry off my bike, they first laughed at me when I pulled out my leaf blower. But after a couple seconds, reality set in and figured that wasn't a bad idea after all!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Yep,,, I use the electric Toro Dryer as well.
I went and bought a shop vac hose at "StuffMart" and I attach it to the tip of the blower with two screws so i can use the hose, its much easier and works better for me. I can use the narrow tip to increase pressure in those inside areas. I remove the screws and I use it on the lawn. The little holes dont create any problems with its "intended use". (My wife thinks I got it because I intended to blow leaves with it)

·
Registered
629 Posts
After I wash the bike, I get on and ride it until it is dry. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Don't use your air-compressor, the condensation/rust/scale from inside the tank will eventually make it's way onto your scoot.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I do the same thing as you sidewalk.

After I finish washing the bike I usually go riding and hop on the interstate for a few miles and also ride long enough the heat up the engine good. By the time I get back everything is completely dry. I get some water spots but I clean the chome and painted surfaces later.

It also gives me yet another excuse to go riding.:D

·
Registered
603 Posts
ksig, put a water trap on that air line and you won't have that problem.

JMS

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just bought and tried out a Rigid brand "shop vac." It has a detachable blower on top that is very convenient. Blew the residual standing water right off the bike. Highly recommend this vac/blower. Got it at Home Depot. Lifetime warrantee. Can't beat that!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts