V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need expert opinion please. I have 2 TINY dents in the top of my fender ( yes, I dropped the fairing onto it ) . I was browsing the web the other day and read where a guy can use a chunk of dry ice to cool an area 1 inch beyond a dent or ding, then park it in the sun and it will magically disappear ! Is there any truth to this ( sounds plausible to me ), and if so, is it something a novice can do ? Thanx.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've heard of this technic before. Never actually tried it. Sounds reasonable to me though. A dent is like a little stretch in the metal, so the extreme cold from the dry ice in theory should be able to shrink the stretched out section back to it's original form. If I were you, I would read up a little more on it and give it a try. What harm can you do? You already got a dent.

The only other thing I can think of is the Paintless dent removal that car dealers use. They can probably remove the dents but would need the fender or the wheel off to be able to get at the dent. They work at it from both sides of the metal.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Sounds like something mythbusters should try out...heard of it, but never tried it. Where does one buy dry ice anyhow? As stated above you might want to go to a dent wizard for their opinion...

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
if there is creases in the dents, there is no way that will work, if they are smooth, then maybe. years ago " and I am no expert" I used to work around a soft dent with a body hammer to get them to pop out. I have seen pics of before and after using dry Ice, but I think he used a hair dryer. It did take the dent out to a point, but not totally

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if there is creases in the dents, there is no way that will work, if they are smooth, then maybe. years ago " and I am no expert" I used to work around a soft dent with a body hammer to get them to pop out. I have seen pics of before and after using dry Ice, but I think he used a hair dryer. It did take the dent out to a point, but not totally
I did think of a hair dryer too.... I've straightened and shaped steel with heat and water back in the day but.... I don't think I could bring myself to take a hammer to that fender. What is a 'dent wizard', and how does that work ?

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
Well I am, I'll take pictures.
Thanks for that link, this is going to be fun, the boys are going to love this.:woohoo:

I watched the insurance body guy use dry ice on my car after a baseball storm in Denver.
It took out 90% of the divets.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I am, I'll take pictures.
Thanks for that link, this is going to be fun, the boys are going to love this.:woohoo:
Cool, AHAR.... let us know how it turns out. I was wondering if I can even get good pics of these tiny dents.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Crock of shi*

Tried it does not work!!! Tried it on a gas tank that has a thick gauge metal no dice. Also tried it on a fender not sure what gauge but would consider average also did not work. Ended up using the old fashion hammer and lead...can't even tell.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
There was a thread on this sometime back.
I've seen this done where the car is left out in the sun on a good hot day. The dry ice is dropped in the dent (it was hail damage) and most of the dent (sometimes all) pops out. If I remember correctly, it didn't work on a Harley tank because the metal was too thick.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
There was a thread on this sometime back.
I've seen this done where the car is left out in the sun on a good hot day. The dry ice is dropped in the dent (it was hail damage) and most of the dent (sometimes all) pops out. If I remember correctly, it didn't work on a Harley tank because the metal was too thick.
+1 NJ, I think the fender is too thick also. Might work on a flatter panel and thinner like a car.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I would try it on my lawnmower tank first. Take a ball peen hammer a give it a mild wack and try it there before you chance messing up your fender.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I tried it on a gas tank, barely made a difference, but then again it was a tank and not a fender. If the fender is creased it's not worth the effort. Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing some pics!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use to do this trick on car fenders years ago, it should still work if I can explain it the right way. TAPE the head of the hammer to keep from damaging your painted surface. Take a dolly or another hammer and push up on the bottom of the dent as hard as you are able, and tap firmly with the "taped" hammer along the edges of the dent it should "pop" out or "walk" out as you follow it along the edges of the dent. NOW, if you hit it too hard you will chip the paint. IF its too deep you will chip the paint. What happens when you dent the metal is it "work hardens" the steel as it stretches forming the dent. If it's not to deep you can work it without damaging the paint. If it's deep then you just have to count the paint as lost and then heat the metal with a torch and then rapidly cool it with water to take the stretch out of the metal as you work it with a dolly and hammer. I have a Grapefruit size dent in my gas tank that I have to work on. It's going to be a "spot weld" job and then slide hammer it out and then heat and shrink the metal and work it as best I can with a hammer and dolly or homemade thing from the inside of the tank. OH a "dent wizard" is someone that is fantastic at taking out dents. Its not me, but someone like a body and fender shop on exotics like Porshes or Lambos. :)) most like they cut and weld. Again, not me. hahaha Hope this helps, have faith and give it a shot, you might find out its easier than you thought.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Panel beating is a highly skilled craft and has been around since the year dot. Dry ice??

·
Registered
18 Posts
the guys who take dents out of hail damaged cars would be a good source on removing that dent, i'd think. i have also heard of the dry ice method, but haven't tried it. now you see why it's a good idea to put a pillow on the front fender if you're going to remove your fairing. a sock over your fog lights ain't a bad idea either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
just bill is right. the in our fenders is much heavier than the 20-22 gauge or whatever is used in todays car bodies. something else to consider. you may end up creating more of a problem than you already have if you work the metal too aggressively. a dead blow hammer and tapping "off dolly" would be a good place to start anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Need expert opinion please. I have 2 TINY dents in the top of my fender ( yes, I dropped the fairing onto it ) . I was browsing the web the other day and read where a guy can use a chunk of dry ice to cool an area 1 inch beyond a dent or ding, then park it in the sun and it will magically disappear ! Is there any truth to this ( sounds plausible to me ), and if so, is it something a novice can do ? Thanx.
How ironic....I did the same thing. That fender is currently sitting in Pat's (Kustom Flames) shop and will ultimately have the rivets removed, the dent taken out and new paint! In the interim I bought a new fender from Harley. Keep in mind that a new stock fender from Harley painted from the factory to match takes about 6 weeks to get and does not guarantee you will get a perfect fender. Mine had a bug on the mounting boss that Harley denied because it was under the clear so it couldn't rust, it was under 1/2 in total diameter and wasn't a scratch and lastly it was on the Boss and not the main portion of the fender. Still would have shown and stood out like a sore thumb. So, 570.00 later and another 75.00 to fix the fender boss and its now mounted. And my nicely repaired Fairing fixed by Pat, is reinstalled and better than new. Now, we just need true Vermont Spring so I can ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts