V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this could be an interesting topic. How did it happen and where were you when you dropped your bike for the first time. I just dropped my new RKC 03'. Yeah, that is right. I felt like the biggest deush bag. I was bring my bike into my father in laws garage and wam! My foot slipped on the concrete and there she went to the left. Thank God that no one was around. I still have not told my wife, and I don't think I will. I scratch under the engine guard, that was it. I don't think she will ever be cleaning my bike anytime soon(hahahaha).

·
Banned
914 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I dropped my brand new 2003 VROD last week 2 minutes after picking it up from the dealer...The only people that saw me were my wife and a bystander...The worst part of it was my wife yelling at me that I shouldn`t of bought a motorcycle. Damage report was $200.00 to replace radiator side covers and exhaust heat shield. **** happens....Keep your chin up and move on....Ive been told it just a matter of when it happens. Now you got it over with and the bike is truly not a virgin anymore..:D

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Well... nice to know I'm not the only one... a week or so ago.. I was bringing my new "03" Heritage Classic" up to the parking spot next to my house ..and I have to go thru a small area of grass.. all the snow had just melted and the grass was wet ..and she slid out from under me... thank goodness for the engine Guards... not a scratch..dent..nothing busted.. and yes she looked pitifull laying there on her side!

·
Registered
626 Posts
i aint dropped it yet but came dam close. i slipped in some oil all hungover on a monday morning in the shed on the way to work. it didnt hit the floor but it came dam close. i held on to it the best i could. some how i hurt my shins and my back. well the back i understand but i hit my shins on the bike somehow.

now i must knock on wood to prevent anything from happening in the future.:)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
WTF? People fall and so do bikes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Gravity is a B**** on chrome. Haven't dropped mine yet....Knock on wood. I've come close though loosing my footing on the "cinders" PennDot litters the roads with. Just like throwing little marbles everywhere.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I was taking an old girlfriend back to her house. She lived at the end of the street so I did a real slow U-turn. The bike fell over, and her right leg got stuck. Then she got mad a ME because I was telling her to get off so I could lift it. I guess she wanted me to see if she was ok first, I don't know.

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
95, AFTER you got the bike in the up right position, then did you help the little lady :D :p If she was runnin her mouth, I would of left her lay :cool:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Markcuda said:
95, AFTER you got the bike in the up right position, then did you help the little lady :D :p If she was runnin her mouth, I would of left her lay :cool:
She didn't have much to say to me for a few days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have dropped many bikes but the '01 FLHP I ride now with 21K miles is currently a ground virgin. Hard part about loosing one is figuring out how to pick up 800 lbs by yourself without anyone looking. Worst drop I had involved a guy intentionally backing up over me and the '91 FXRP I was riding. Me and the bike was dragged for about 25' under the passenger door. The driver went to prison.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I rented an 02 RK last year on vacation. At the time of pick up, I opted to pay $10 extra per day to lower the insurance deductable from $2500 to $1000 dollars.

We were staying at my parents cabin near the wyoming colorado state line. Access from either the north or south involves 20+ miles of graded dirt roads. Just take it slow, no problem right? :D

I rode the piss out of that bike for a week and on the day before I was to return it, I turned onto the gravel road, I know I wasn't going over 5-10 mph, but I was too far over to the right and the bike slid off the road and into a 12-inch ditch. F*CK.

It was easy to pick back up and not a big issue to get back onto the road.

Starting off again, I noticed that the speedo had stopped functioning as had the turn signals. Back at the cabin, I noticed that the left engine guard was bent. I washed the bike off and figured I'd take it back and face the music.

The rental gal was real cool, she was only gonna hit me for the engine guard, but one of the dealership managers got involved and started racking up the charges. In addition to the engine guard, the were scratches on the left side exhaust pipe and muffler, left side saddle bag...yada yada.

Long story, short, I ended up paying $1K to walk away from it. Its only money, right?

wyo

·
Registered
238 Posts
First time was just plain stupidity. My wife and I were bar hopping on my Wide Glide back in '83 and had acquired a nice little buzz when I "forgot" to put my feet down when we came to a stop. Felt like an idiot laying there on the ground with the bike on top of me. Luck was with me as I only bent the shifter a bit where my left foot was caught.

Picking the bike up wasn't too hard...with the adrenalin rush I felt, I could have picked up the back end of a Buick.

Alcohol and scooters aren't a good mix.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are those who have...........those who will...........and those who will streatch the truth and say they never have.
It happens............. I know. Been there done that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I dropped my bike it was about a year after I learned how to ride and I was way down in Southern Ohio by myself. There was a big drop off on the side of the gas station parking lot and I knew it was there but didn't swing out far enough when I left. It was totally my fault and I felt like a dork. The worst part was asking a big farmer to help me pick it up. Luckily, I only broke a mirror, turn signal lense and scratched up my pipes a little.
TmrHrrs

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Never dropped the Springer, but had some close calls, being that it has jockeyshift and suicide clutch makes for some interesting stop and go maneuvering.

I have dropped the Sportster twice. :eek:
only damage was the little ball came off the end of the clutch lever, so I had to get another one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fortunately, our Wide Glide has always remained upright but I did drop the metric bike that I previously owned. I was parking it on the driveway when it got away from me. I ride a bicycle frequently and must have absent-mindedly thought I was getting off my bicycle because I came to a stop and stepped off (with only one hand on the handlebar) without dropping the sidestand. I couldn't keep it from going over but I was able hang onto the handlebar and keep it from slamming onto the driveway. It had rubber mounted turn signals so there was NO damage.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Now I have a checklist taped to the headlight to help me through the steps necessary to safely bring the bike to a stop and dismount. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok here it is i've got a good one for you! I was soo excited to pick up my bike it was in for the 1000 mile check and to have new pipes put on a certain friend of mine who i'll refer to as "four hour" is always asking me if my bike is running so it was time to put an end to that " i was raining kind of hard but it was suppossed to snow the next day so no matter what i was getting it tonight. when i got to the dealer they brought it out for me but parked right in the center of a huge puddle i deceided that i would move it get my stuff and be on my way well who know what happened next i have no clue but i was holding the bike with everything i had but it still went down probably in the worst place possible i was more embarrassed than anything everyone came running out of the service dept to see what happened they were really good though they fixed me up right away new cluth lever and mirror and i was on my way hopefully this was a first and last but my bike sounds good now!

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
certain friend of mine who i'll refer to as "four hour" is always asking me if my bike is running so it was time to put an end to that
That's cold! Gotta watch that fourhour!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts