V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rider
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out for a short ride waiting on the wife to get ready to go to lunch. Saw a Yamaha stopped on the side of the road and I turned around to see if they were OK. They were out of gas. No prob. We were only one exit up so I called the wife and she brought some gas. Went down an exit and turned around. Got home and was thinking about the couple instead of thinking about my driving. Hit my gravel driveway at about 2 MPH. Front end came out and down she went.

Hey. No prob again. I'm 6'4" 260 lbs, I'll just pick it up. Nope. Not that way.
I did the ol' back up to it and lifted it right up. NO DAMAGE. The engine guard, floorboard, and bag guards caught everything and didn't even get scratched. Only thing hurt was my pride and I think I pulled a muscle in my leg by trying to pick it up the wrong way.

Oh well, I guess that's what I get for helping out a Yamaha. :D

·
Here We Go, Steelers
64 Posts
I'm a firm believer that everything positive you do in life will come back to you someday. This only works if you do not expect something in return. It will just happen. Thanks for being a good person.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
If I posted every time I dropped my bike, I wouldn't have time to drop it. Its got two wheels.

·
1,336 Posts
BWalker glad you did not get hurt or damage the bike. A lot of bikes out today, wonderful weather. I plan to take a ride once I knock down the honey do list.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
BWalker said:
The engine guard, floorboard, and bag guards caught everything and didn't even get scratched. :D
Good thing you had the engine guard. A lot of people may not like the way the bike looks with an engine guard but they sure do prevent damage and injury. Dropped my Heritage backing out of the driveway last year. Instead of jumping off when i realized i couldn't save it i dropped with it. The engine guard not only prevented the bike from crushing my leg it also protected my expensive paint job - not a scratch. The engine guard got a little scuffed but i can live with that. Like you, i wasn't really paying attention at the time cuz i've done it like a thousand times. Just makes you realize that it only takes one second of complacency on a motorcycle for something bad to happen.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just makes you realize that it only takes one second of complacency on a motorcycle for something bad to happen.
Today

Got home and was thinking about the couple instead of thinking about my driving

Which is exactly why I feel talking on a phone, even hands free, can get you killed.

·
Rider
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, just glad the complacency happened at 2 mph and not on the interstate. I "got right back on the horse" and rode with some friends (wife on the back) for a couple of hours. I bet I was the safest fugger out there.

I've been down several times years ago but I was young, doing crazy chit, and probably drunk too so it wasn't a surprise when it happened. This one just came out of nowhere. Gotta say one thing. That old Honda 450 was a lot easier to pick up.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I dropped my bike so many times in one practice session last year, that I actually lost count!

Granted, I had both engine and saddle bag guards on a stripped down Police Glide, but after that day, I walked away with an enormous amount of respect for the brand. I butt walked her back up, side saddle like, and she fired up every single time...all that chit, and only two scratches, on the left bottom end of my engine/saddle bag guard. You'd have to get on your knees to see them, so I ain't changin nuthin.

These babies are built like a BEAR! :D

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
I have also dropped my bike several times. Picking up that Ultra strains every muscle in my body. Two years ago I was headed to Sturgis. Left the house at 4:00 AM to meet my buddies. About half a mile from the house I had to stop at a light. Not paying attention down she went. I was loaded for the trip and I couldn't pick her up. So there I was, still dark out, bike in the middle of the street, I'm red faced hoping no one comes by to see how dumb I am. Had to unpack the bike right there, pick her up and re-packed. I paid attention the rest of the trip. Fortunately, no damage to the bike.

I bet the Yamaho couple think you are the greatest guy in the world. Good job!! :thanks:

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Your real strength is in your legs. Always use the proper technique to prevent back, arm, and other injuries picking up one of these heavy sleds.

Good think that you didn't get hurt and you also helped out some fellow riders in the same day.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Dropped mine the first day I got it. Rode to a church parking lot to practice and get use to the bike. The lot was on a slant, after riding awhile and feeling comfortable I stopped and relaxed. Bike fellover, didn't hurt anything but the pride but showed me that a 650 lb bike is a heavy bike. :)

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Yep, happened to me last week too. :yes: Only I was turning into a parking space in FRONT of the Hog Parlor before the meeting and had too much front brake when the guy in front of me changed direction. Must have been 15 guys standing there watching. I was holding on for dear life since I didn't know if it was all the way down, or my right leg was supporting it. Luckly it was already resting on the highway peg. Two guys finally stepped forward and helped me to right it up. :thanks: Nothing hurt but the pride.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I have a gravel driveway, Trust me, I been down a few times! Usually stopping short on tight radius u-turn. Never a scratch on the bike yet(knock wood). Crash bars and floorboards are real saviors!
Lucky enough to have someone to help me get her up most times, Have used the back into it method once though, still hurts but it works!
Been down in the slow race in wet once, and once pulling into my campsite at the Buffolo Chip in sturgis. Both with alot of peeps watching, didn't bother me, they all been down in similar circumstances before, no biggie, just alot of help to right her!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Its not bad picking them up if you got front and rear engine guards. Nothings damaged and something to grab on too. Will never be without engine guard.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
BWalker,
That was God given you a heads up. Much better to happen at 2mph in your driveway than 60 out in the hell zone. You were rewarded for your good deed.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I dropped my RK the day I brought it home, one time at a independent shop, (that one threw me off the bike, rolling backwards down a hill) then last year in my buddies (gravel) driveway, i dropped it 4 times in 10 minutes and less that a 100 yards. It became a matter of being too pissed off to not go up that damn driveway. :) I bet those folks on that Yamaha do think you are a pretty nice fella, and I appreciate you helping out. There are good people in theis world still. I,m also glad you didn't hur thte bike or yourself. Crap happens. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts