V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what you are thinking. Driving lights...yuk. But I mounted the new fog lights made for the Dyna today and will run the wiring tomorrow. I have tried various things for more visibility for myself at night and for increased visiblity to others in the day. I tried the xenon over legal watt 80/100 xenon bulb. I liked it but my electrical system baulked on it after awhile. I never have liked the looks of the driving (fog,passing)lights on a Dyna because of the narrow front end and narrow front tire. It just looks fat on the top and narrow on the bottom. My width is a mid-glide so I think it looks a little better . I really don't think that an fxds convertible is the ideal platform for the custom bad azz show-bike look anyway. LOL! So a few usefull mods more toward the highway riding style that I like to do shouldn't totally destroy the looks of my bike. I'll let you guys know how I like them and post a picture when I can so you can critique it for me! LOL

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, my signature pictures will self destruct in a few days because I am changing servers. Anybody know where there is good free picture storage that can be linked to with out having to store them on my server space?

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GROUCHO said:
Saw them at the dealer...Looks like they are a nice unit...About 300 dollars??
Be interested to see how you like them....
Yeah, they were 300 skins alright. I didn't have much choice because with my mid-glide triple trees the standard bar type wouldn't fit. I did wire them up today but with this cold nasty rain, I haven't had a chance to try them out. I finally found that brass stud that the directions said to connect the white wire from the wiring harness to. LOL

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
daposaspo said:
FifthGear, Ya gonna' post a picture?

Well uh, I guess I could run out to the filthy garage with my wifes digital. LOL. I don't think that it will make the cover of Iron Horse though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey, they look awsome. Did you have to do any mods to the windshield to get them to fit? I know when I go out to the parking lot to ride my bike home tonight, I'll be wishing I had them on my ride. I can't wait to here how they work. Thanks for sharing the picture FifthGear.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
daposaspo said:
Did you have to do any mods to the windshield to get them to fit?
Thanks for the compliment. I didn't have to make any mods to the windshield but mine is an after market one. The original stock one may or may not fit behind them. I am very opinionated about windshields,,,,,,I may go into that sometime. Everyone has their own ideas about them. I'd like to hear the likes and dislikes of some of the Harley Davidson ones that people have had experiences with.

Later

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I was a little skeptical when I first saw this post, but they really do look good on there:cool: Great addition to the bike.

Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which mid triple trees?

Ive been admiring your scoot for a while now on these forums. I have a o1 fxdx, and want to put mid glide triples on mine. Every winter I can't stop the urge to start strippin-er down to do some kind of mod. Can you tell me which trees, and any info on the mechanics of doing this? Instruments are already relocated to the eyebrow, and handle bars are already threaded through with switch wires. Was thinking of a wideglide front end, but wanted to see a mid pic. Now I am convinced on keeping my stock forks.
Thanks in advance.....

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Re: Which mid triple trees?

Ssnidely said:
Can you tell me which trees, and any info on the mechanics of doing this? Thanks in advance.....

Ssnidely,

It wasn't an easy decision on choosing trees for me. I decided on CCE(custon cycle engineering) mid glide kit. The kit was fairly complete except that I had to buy one disc spacer because I had dual disks and some fender spacers. I wanted a bottom mount headlight so the stock light and eyebrow is gone. The wide glide tree kits are the same price and sometimes I wish that I had got them instead. There are many brands out there but the CCE are very nice looking chrome plated with an internal fork stop.

The project wasn't as difficult as I first thought. Once the bike is lifted, the front calipers and fender are taken off. The front wheel is removed and the discs are removed and replaced by the spacers and then the discs replaced on the spacers. The triple tree clamps are loosened and the tubes are slid out the bottom. The handle bars and clamps are removed from the stock triple trees and laid back on the tank. The stem nut is loosened and removed and the lower tree is removed from the bottom(the dual brake line srew is unsrewed from the bottom stem). The CCE uses a new bearing race with a tab that sticks up and is an internal fork stop. So, the old upper bearing race is removed and replaced with the new one. Might as well put new bearings in while your at it. The new bottom tree is inserted from the bottom through the neck and the top tree and the nut is tightend. The final adjustment of the neck bearing tightness will be done after assembly is complete. The fork tubes are slid into the new triple trees and tightend. The axel spacers are slid into the wheel and the new axel is used to reinstall the front wheel. The calipers and fender are put back on and the handlebar clamps and bars reinstalled. The stem is then tightened as per procedure in shop manual. I guess you already know that to run your wiring out the center slot in the upper TT that you will have to release the wires from the connecters in the harness. For a quick recap of installation, this is the best I can do. If I left anything out or if you have any questions, just ask.

FifthGear

Oh I almost forgot,,,,,,the turn signal mounts would not fit these CCE triple trees so I bought fork tube mount brackets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks fifthgear

Thanks for the reply. I know how long it takes to sit down and do a detailed description on an undertaking such as this. Well done. This all seems straight forward with my abilities as a novice mechanic. However, the only step here that makes me a little nervous is bearings , and bearing races. I've read the final adjustment in the shop manual, and it kind of makes my head spin. I have no experience on bearing installation or replacement. Are any special tools required to pull them or seat them? I'm going to check those trees on the net now. I also, at a later date, am going to replace my headlight, which will require new mini-guages, mo money mo money mo money. Thanks again.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts