V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my new road king ('02), the driving lights go off when the high beam is switched on. For lots of reasons (including day use) I would like the driving lights to stay on until I decide to turn them off.

Is this an easy fix?
Could there be issues with electrical capacity?
Other issues?

regards, greg

·
Registered
240 Posts
Other issues?
Yeah, they may be controlled by the same regulations as cars.

My TransAm's driving lights go out when I turn on my highbeams. There is a 'fix' to have them all on at the same time, but then it won't pass our state inspection.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Get the halo passing bulbs and lenses and you won't need high beams.

·
Registered
903 Posts
According to most state laws, auxiliary lights must turn off when using the high beam. In N.J. they do check for this at inspection.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the replies. Not cincerned w/ state laws (I live in California). Curious if anyone has tried to "fix" this?

JimmyK, you referred to a "passing halo bulb?" What is this and how does it work? Don't want to get flashed by every oncoming car but when out on the desert at night I can never have enough light.

regards, greg

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hi Greg,

These are the Halogen set up that you can get at the HD shop. They work great and should solve your problems.

I live in North Houston and love these things at night on the armadillo clad country roads around my home.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
the spotlights (lights on each side of the headlamp) on my heritage come on with the high beam and off with the low beam. seems to make sense to me. is that the way they are supposed to operate?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
otterbob,

exactly opposite: they should go out when you turn on the high beams, as per the FM.

wyo

·
Registered
985 Posts
If you want the driving lamps to operate regardless of the hi/lo beam switch position, run a separate 12+ lead source from the fuse block to the toggle switch that operates the driving lamps. Tape up the wire you take off the toggle switch....

---or---

Replace the headlight bulb with a higher wattage halogen such as an 80w/100w or 100/130 (stock is usually 55w/60w)

Can't do that on newer Fatboys, sealed beam.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The previous owner of my '01 Fatboy wired (after the toggle switch) the passing lights directly (fused) to the battery. While I like being able to run highbeams & the passing lights in the day time, sometimes I forget to turn them off when I park.

I'd be great to wire them into the ignition circuit where they can only come on when the ignition is on.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
chops said:
If you want the driving lamps to operate regardless of the hi/lo beam switch position, run a separate 12+ lead source from the fuse block to the toggle switch that operates the driving lamps. Tape up the wire you take off the toggle switch....

If you do this will the lights go off with the ignition switch or stay on, as a seperate circuit?

Looking at the wiring diag. would you run the live feed from the lights terminal in the fuse block and replace the grey/black wire at the running light/pos lamp switch with this feed?
Oviously leaving the earth alone.

This option would be very handy over here..........

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Driiving Lights

Greg,

The set up I used on my 89 FLSTC & my 96FLHR was to run a separate line from the toggle switch to the pos. side of the battery with a 20 amp in- line fuse. I never had any drain problems with this set up.

The lights I used were 100 watt per light. This was perfect for me at night whenever I was caught in a rain storm , snow or just out on country back roads. The wild life critters were always seen by me before they got out on the road.

Hope this information can help you out.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Thanks friend.

What I'm looking for is for my passing/running lights to light regardless of High/low main lights, AND to turn off with the ignition switch even when in the 'on position.
I think your way means turning the switch off, which I'll probably forget to do on the occasional sunny day we get!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Driving lights/ Passing lamps.

harleyhog,

As I mentioned in my description of wiring my 100 watt lights, I did say that I had not experienced any battery drain, however, if you do forget to put the switch in the off position before the ing. is turned off, you will have one quick drain from the battery.
Just keep in mind what you are doing, and you will not have any problems.

Ride Safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts