V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three lives wasted she still had the phone in her hand. This could have been a bike accident in another scenario. A biker is caught in stopped in traffic for an accident ahead. Betty's car is traveling at 75 on cruise control. She is sitting casually texting on the phone looks up sees the tractor trailer, but not the bike behind it. Betty can't get her foot to the brake in time. Betty and her son dies so does the biker.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is becoming worse as I see cops texting and driving. We need more than a law to protect us maybe some technology. It is a shame that drivers are only ticketed after they kill us.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That is so sad!! It IS a shame that laws against doing such seem to have NO effect on drivers doing this. Would be nice if car makers would implement something that would automatically disable texting when in the car, at least from the drivers seat, which would make it more obvious when drivers are doing it, and driving dangerously, so they can be stopped and ticketed for such if they're reaching way over to the right to try to text anyway, OR have the car makers make it so any phone inside the car is automatically linked to the bluetooth in the vehicle, and is unable to disconnect from it until the phone is a certain distance away from the vehicle. Then again, "privacy" and "personal control" advocates would be screaming mad, at stuff like that. There should be harsher penalties, though, for when someone does something like this, as well as DWI/DUI laws, too. We just had a state rep. who was caught for DWI and was only given 5 DAYS in jail, but the MAX is only 6 months, and MIN is 2 days, even IF you kill someone! That's RIDICULOUS!!

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I believe it has taken over as the worse impaired driving ability we have out there on the road.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CDL drivers receive a $10,000 fine if caught holding a cell phone while driving for the first offense. Most use a Bluetooth ear piece which is legal. Truck drivers are professionally trained yet there is a double standard between CDL and class C drivers.

·
Registered
774 Posts
To the OP here, you said the magic word about the texting problem... SHE..... I drove for a living ( outside sales) and before the texting problem there was the TALKING problem on Cell phones.... 999 out of 1000 times what I saw was a WOMAN problem..
Recent law in Florida was passed... Not enough teeth in it, I believe its a 30 dollar fine...AND you can still text when stopped at a green light... I figured there are women involved in passing this do nothing law....

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
So, if they create a law you have to blow in a tube to start your car from DUI, Maybe they could create a law on cell phones.

If your cell phone goes over 10mph maybe it notifies in a manner of GPS style to the closes uniform personnel to intervene? Hell hire me I'd do it.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Make it a 30 day NON negotiable stay in Jail with a $1000 dollar fine and loss of drivers license for 1 year... Most people nowadays just don't think laws are about THEM....
Everything I read about the dangers of texting say it has become worse than drunk driving.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Technology should be able to disable ones phone if it is in a vehicle with the engine running. A call during this period would go directly to voice mail.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A young woman was approaching the 3 lanes the 3rd being the turn lane. A Walmart truck was coming from the other direction. She drifted to the left and the WM driver went to the ditch to no avail she still died. Her phone was imbedded in her chest when the air bag deployed is what actually killed her. Walmart fired the truck driver saying he should have stayed in the lane since the speed limit was only 45 and the front end was easier to repair than the front right wheel assembly which was torn off in the ditch.

·
Super Moderator
2,753 Posts
To the OP here, you said the magic word about the texting problem... SHE..... I drove for a living ( outside sales) and before the texting problem there was the TALKING problem on Cell phones.... 999 out of 1000 times what I saw was a WOMAN problem..
Recent law in Florida was passed... Not enough teeth in it, I believe its a 30 dollar fine...AND you can still text when stopped at a green light... I figured there are women involved in passing this do nothing law....
Tell that to my 86 year old father.He was rear ended while driving his less than 1 month old Lincoln.Just shy of 4 months without his new car and about $22,000 dollars later my parents are back in it.I'm sure they were dicking around with a phone.Oh,I almost forgot.....the person that hit him wasn't female.

Another time about 8 years ago I had some jackass come over into my lane and sideswipe my truck going the opposite direction.If they had come over a foot more they probably wouldn't still be alive.F-350 vs some kind of Nissan cracker box.They weren't paying attention or were fucking with a phone.
Once again,it was a male.

I don't give a rat's ass what gender they are.If they aren't a responsible driver then there should be consequences.

·
Registered
15,954 Posts
I don't give a rat's ass what gender they are.If they aren't a responsible driver then there should be consequences.
Concur. I've had both sexes cross the line into my lane while looking down at their phucking phone.

·
Premium Member
4,481 Posts
Cell phones have a do not disturb while driving mode. I encourage everyone to activate it.

A friend suggests distracted driving and drunk driving penalties should be the same. I endorse that idea.

I remember the day when my biggest concern being blindsided while riding was deer. Now it's distracted drivers. Riding alone back and forth across town I've had numerous close calls that I know of. No doubt many more I didn't even know happened.
Seems to help when riding with another, even better in a pack. But that being said, one of my riding groups had a woman run right in the middle of the pack while she was turned around arguing with her kids in the back seat. Our webmaster, one of the clubs most popular guys, didn't survive.

Distraced drivers suck.

·
Premium Member
4,481 Posts
A young woman was approaching the 3 lanes the 3rd being the turn lane. A Walmart truck was coming from the other direction. She drifted to the left and the WM driver went to the ditch to no avail she still died. Her phone was imbedded in her chest when the air bag deployed is what actually killed her. Walmart fired the truck driver saying he should have stayed in the lane since the speed limit was only 45 and the front end was easier to repair than the front right wheel assembly which was torn off in the ditch.

I agree with Walmarts theory, but not their action to dismiss the driver. I always told my drivers to hold their position, grip the wheel tight and prepare for the impact if someone was challenging their lane. Swerving a 80,000 lb. tractor trailer like it's a F-1 car just doesn't work well.
Had one try to cut one of my better drivers off, drove right under his right steering axle. Cop came, took my drivers report. When he went to the guy for his version he asked how long it was going to take, he was late for the airport. Cop turned around and told my driver he could go.
Had another try to put his mini van between the drive wheels of a fully loaded flatbed while going down I-75. Cops let my guy go when they couldn't find anyone in the van that spoke English.
I don't know how many tried to park under the back of our trailers. None of 'em ever succeeded.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't like riding in a pack as I use all of the lane. On a 2 wheeler I avoid the holes if the pack is spread out. We all know where we are going. Drivers get frustrated when following bikers riding in formation harder to pass than a tractor trailer. They pull out to pass and have to merge back in let them. My Avalanche weighed 7500 lbs vs your 1000 lb bike. The odds are the truck will win. Why is it a slow biker rides in the middle of the pack and divides the group. I pass that sucker he can ride in the back.

·
Premium Member
4,481 Posts
I don't like riding in a pack as I use all of the lane. On a 2 wheeler I avoid the holes if the pack is spread out. We all know where we are going. Drivers get frustrated when following bikers riding in formation harder to pass than a tractor trailer. They pull out to pass and have to merge back in let them. My Avalanche weighed 7500 lbs vs your 1000 lb bike. The odds are the truck will win. Why is it a slow biker rides in the middle of the pack and divides the group. I pass that sucker he can ride in the back.

Yeah Cap, sounds like you"re better off avoiding pack rides.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with Walmarts theory, but not their action to dismiss the driver. I always told my drivers to hold their position, grip the wheel tight and prepare for the impact if someone was challenging their lane. Swerving a 80,000 lb. tractor trailer like it's a F-1 car just doesn't work well.
Had one try to cut one of my better drivers off, drove right under his right steering axle. Cop came, took my drivers report. When he went to the guy for his version he asked how long it was going to take, he was late for the airport. Cop turned around and told my driver he could go.
Had another try to put his mini van between the drive wheels of a fully loaded flatbed while going down I-75. Cops let my guy go when they couldn't find anyone in the van that spoke English.
I don't know how many tried to park under the back of our trailers. None of 'em ever succeeded.
I might have told this before, but I'm decrepit so I was hauling 40,000 lbs of Budweiser from Newark NJ to Wisconsin for Werner. I had a hell of a time scaling it on their scales as I had my 5th wheel moved back. My OL was with me while we sitting at a light. We felt a light rumble thought it was the heavy cross traffic shaking the ground. I am almost to the Delaware Water Gap on 80 and a driver called on the cb, hey Werner did you know a car ran into the back of your trailer at the light? No. Yeah you drove off and his car was crushed to the rear door. So I stopped at a rest area no blood the bumper isn't bent time to go.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah Cap, sounds like you"re better off avoiding pack rides.
Just my relatives bikes combined make a pack. You should have heard us going to the Lake City, SC poker run. Riders meet at the town clock in Conway, SC and ride in an unending parade to Lake City. People stand on their lawns as the rumble is deafening. Sounds like a bomber is landing such sweet music.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts