V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you go with the mustang backrest or harley one. Suppose to get my new road king this weekend and will probably get one there if the price is right. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Personally, I would go with the Mustang backrest. The reason; Harley backrest are a pain in the neck to get on since you must slide the unit through the Harley seat opening and try and line up the two pegs with the holes in the hardware provide for the HD unit which is attached to the fender. If you have big hands it is really difficult to do. Mustang backrest snap straight into the a slot provide in the back of the seat. Much easier to take on and take off ( easier to steal as well).

·
Sniper
1,659 Posts
I've used both, the advantage to the Mustang one I thought was how easy it folds forward for mount and dismount. The Harley one is a PITA to fold forward.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I like the adjustable one hd sells (adjusts front to back as well as up and down) it will only work with a Harley seat. I like it because I change it's position as I have a heavy leather jacket or a t-shirt on.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mustang is adjustable as well.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Would you go with the mustang backrest or harley one. Suppose to get my new road king this weekend and will probably get one there if the price is right. Thanks
What seat are you riding? If Mustang than the Mustang backrest, HD seat than HD backrest. They are built to compliment the saddle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What seat are you riding? If Mustang than the Mustang backrest, HD seat than HD backrest. They are built to compliment the saddle.
I wouldn't worry about that. Get the Mustang. As already stated the HD one is PITA to get on and off. But I got one (hd) I'll sell real reasonable!

·
Registered
15 Posts
On my '08 Road Glide - Mustang rider solo with backrest, and separate passenger wide saddle with HD detachable backrest. Passenger set up replaced with HD detachable fender rack when riding solo. I very much like the look, comfort,and versatility.

On my '00 Deuce - Corbin solo with backrest. I also have a Corbin big two-up touring saddle for the Deuce that I don't use any more since buying the FLTR. Back rest is interchangeable between both Corbin saddles. Great saddle and backrest for short rides; gives a sense of connection and control of bike.

I prefer the Glide and Mustang saddle for rides over 150 miles. Deuce w Corbin is in its element in urban traffic and hopping.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Keep your eye out on eBay or craigslist.

I found a Harley one for $75, all I had to do was buy the $35. mount.

Few months later I upgraded to a Mustang seat, backrest still works great.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Ever notice the front seat is like a tractor seat?
Shaped to the rider's butt and comfortable.
Ever notice the rear seat is all too often an uncomfortable 'pillion' tiny pad with no shaping or contours for your lady's comfort.
I decided to augment my solo Sporty seat with a second solo seat and found more volunteers to ride on back.
Backrests are a great idea and I congratulate OP_ for this topic.

I've had custom seats built a few times since 1972 and been asked to sit on damp sand so they could shape a seat base to fit. Also had to ask several gf's of different shapes and sizes to do same so my rear seat wuz comfortable for them also.
Who decided our back seaters should suffer discomfort?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Terrabella - I use an open end wrench to squeeze the rods together...sort of like a pry bar.

The current Harley back rests are a PITA to adjust. The older Harley models were easier to work with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts