V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting 06 ultra, just wondering if the adjustable drivers backrest is worth the expense over the fixed backrest? also where does the adjustable backrest cable and switch mount?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
In short - YES !!!! The control on my RK mounts on the left side of frame. It can be reached while you are riding.

I would never get rid of mine. Hope this helps.

Ken

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
It's not worth it in my opinion. I have put tens of thousands of miles on my "fixed backrest" and am happy with it. BTW, the fixed ain't exactly fixed. You can adjust the mount forward and backward, adjust the tilt of the backrest and adjust the height of it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I must agree with 3x, I have 65,550 on my SERK, and wouldn't trade it !
$4$ the fixed is your best bet.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
This is why there are Fords and Chevy's, vanilla and chocolate! I put the adjustable on my 2003 EGC. Sure it's more money, but in my opinion worth every cent. For me, the fixed didn't have enough movement. I know guys that love theirs. As for the adjustment cable, it attaches to the frame, under your left leg, right where the cruise control cable comes out. Simple to place, simple to adjust on the fly.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
H-D backrests aren't worth the money......

I've got the adjustable on T.Bagger.....IMHO it isn't worth the ching. $300. There are existing holes for all the adjustable sh#t. Since it only pivots from the mounting bracket, it seems to want to push you off the bike.....I've got mine adjusted all the way back and never move it. With the backrest on, there isn't enough room to ride a passanger comfortably. (I only weigh 190)
The pad DOES NOT ADJUST at the top of the bracket allowing the pad to 'pivot' to fit your back. I wish I had never bought it. Now on 'Heywood'
'05XL1200C, I've got the Mustang wide with their backrest which is adjustable at the top of the bracket, allowing the pad to 'pivot' to fit your back comfortably. I told my pal this, he tried my Harley and then the Mustang.
He ordered the Mustang (which by the way is half the cost of the 'Harley')for his '04 Ultra........Harley doesn't manufacture their backrest anyhoooooo.......

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I have the adjustable, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I can cruise along and decide to stretch out a tad, all I have to do is pull the handle and lean back kind of like sitting in my recliner at home.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Backrest

If you want the so called none adjustable backrest?

Comfort Stitch Rider Backrest Kit

An adjustable support bracket with four mounting locations to accommodate different riding positions. Can be quickly removed for storage in Tour-Pak or saddlebag. Styled to match Comfort Stitch Touring Seats.

52572-03

I have a basicly new one I would make you a deal on. I had it on my 05 ultra for about 2000 miles. Went and bought the Mustang Ultra touring seat, I rode 600 miles in one day 2-up and my butt didnt even get sore, with the stock seat I could feel my butt starting to get uncomfortalbe with in the first 20 miles.

Save your money and junk the stock seat and go for a Mustang, you wont be disapointed.:beer4u:

Blue Skies

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I assume you are talking about the adjustable backrest that uses the air spring. I have that one and and have used the "fixed" ones too on other bikes. Although the fixed backrest can be adjusted it's not very practical and here why. Let's say it was warm yesterday and I was riding in a tee shirt. I get on the next morning and it is rather chilly so I put on a leather jacket. Due to the extra thickness of the jacket my backrest is now pushing me forward. With the fixed backrest I had 2 options. Adjust my riding position or break out the tools, in my case an allen wrench and make the adjustment to the backrest. Now later on it warms up and I take the jacket off and now I have to make adjustments again. With the air spring adjustable I have now I just pull the lever and release when it is where I want it. In fact If I take off and it's still not exactly to my liking I can make the adjustment quite easily and safely while going down the road. Takes all of about a second to adjust. BTW I had a 5 position adjustable once but it was hit or miss as to whether the adjustment was to my liking or not. Often times I still had to break out the tools to fine tune it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Took delivery of my 06 Ultra yesterday and the adjustable back rest is well worth the $$ in my opinion. Coming from the *** market and the terrible seats that the Japs include on their bikes I find the stock seat to be excellent as well. The adjustment control is located on the left right under your leg and is easy to change while under way. That's my 0.02 worth anyhow.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
how about the high backrest George uses?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts