V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reading numorous posts on other forums about premature belt breakage on 2001 flht and road king models. anyone have any input on the subject? many of the other forums indicate the early 2001 models have defecvtive belts on them...I have about 7000 miles on my 01 flht so far so good, anyone out there with 01 models with higher miles and NO belt failures. I'm plannig some nice trips in june and now i have this nagging worry in the back of my head. is it warranted of senseless to worry about this?

MRSNIPY

·
Registered
7 Posts
A week ago sunday, we were out for a cruise and my buddys belt let go 14 inches from the bar and shield logo. He had 9800 miles on the odometer. It let go as we were accelerating from a signal. The repalcement was coveered by the motor company, kind of a drag getting the bike to the dealer though. I'd suggest getting a belt repair kit as a precaution.

Black Mack

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
My belt broke on my 01 FLHRCI at about 3000 miles.

I was parked on a decline, backed in ass end. Started the bike, popped into first and the belt snapped clean.

Went home to get the SUV and trailered it back to the dealer. After they screwed around for about a day trying to figure out how it happened, the dealer replaced it under warranty.

The MOCO almost acted as if "I" did something wrong. They kept asking the dealer how clean the break was, engine mods, pulley mods, etc. Their final conclusion was that it was a faulty belt and it should be replaced.

What I did not like about the whole experience was that the dealer acted as if he did not have the authority to replace the belt until he had received confirmation from the MOCO. What happened to the 1 year/unlimited mileage "bumper to bumper" warranty?

My dealer said they had NEVER seen a belt broken on a stock bike since the belt first replaced the chain drives.

Sounds like HD might have some other issues concerning the belt if there have been reports of RK belts breaking?

:confused:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Seems the failure was very common with the 01's. It had to be a specific run of belts. If you could get the truth out of the factory, they probably know what bikes are affected from production date. They have been covering bikes out of warranty, so it isn't like they don't know about it.

If ypou can do the work yourself, the belts are a little over $100.00 over the internet, and it may be worth it to replace if you are worried about it.
The only good thing is that they all seem to fail taking off from a stop, but you never know.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
DP, just saw your post. It's true at the beginning they all were scratching their heads, and it is also true that the odds of belt failure are astronomical on a properly maintained bike. They eventually realized they had a problem with a batch of belts, and they changed their position.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Hippo, well thats good to know that the owned up to their problems. Since the new belt install, I have been periodically inspecting it to look for signs of wear/tear.

Even after riding the bike for about 40 miles with the rear end about to collapse due to spoke failure, the belt still looks just as good as it did when it was brand new. I do notice some loose fraying around the edges of the belt, but nothing to worry about. (IMO)

Do you have some inside contacts with the MOCO on issues that arise from their motorcycles?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No, wish I did, but other then my habitual riding partner I have an extended riding group of about 20 people. Club 102. One day I'll explain the meaning and qualifications. LOL.

They all are extremely high mileage riders and with the notable exception of the Hippo they all are relatively wealthy, meaning for the most part they always ride new bikes.

Since I work on many of the bikes, you could say that I have the chance of observing the bikes for maybe a combined mileage of between 500K to 1000K miles before the dealers gain meaningful information from less experienced riders, so to speak. It gives you a pretty good idea of what the bikes do, but they all are FLT's.

It also gives you some credibility with some of the wrenches at dealers and at times they may be inclined to exchange thruthful information off the record.

·
Registered
13 Posts
drive belt

01 E-Glide belt blew at 7700 miles...just going down the road on a slight incline at about 60 mph...the sucker just separated...like it was cut with a knife. My HD dealer, Guy W's in Midland, TX was GREAT about the whole thing. They put a belt on it and sent me down the road, said they'd get back with me when they checked it out with the factory. One way or the other, I didn't have to come up with a dime. It's all about the dealer, always.... and we've got a good one out here in West Texas. Have heard about belts blowing from several people riding the heavies and the intelligent speculation is that the factory had a bad run in 01.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts