V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tightened (to specs) the final drive belt on my '03 Road King a few months ago...now it needs it again. Is it normal to have to do it twice in one season? What causes it to loosen up?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have an 05' RK with 62,000 on it and had to adjust the final drive belt tension when the bike was fairly new a few times but the belt stopped stretching after while. How many miles on yours, how often do you ride and has your belt been replaced?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
91fe said:
I tightened (to specs) the final drive belt on my '03 Road King a few months ago...now it needs it again. Is it normal to have to do it twice in one season? What causes it to loosen up?
I have 50,000 on my 04 and never have had to adjust he belt between tire changes. Tires last between 5000 (metzlers) 7000-8000 (dunlops).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the bike with 24K on the clock. I'm not sure if the belt is original, or a replacement. I'm probably a 6-8K miles/year rider... half-and-half solo and 2-up. If it matters... the wife and I are no lightweights. There's probably 400+ lbs between the 2 of us.

Last time a tightened it, I noticed my setup is opposite what's called for in the repair manual. In other words... when it says to loosen the nut on the left and torque the one on the right...mine are reversed. Is that a typo in the '03 repair manual, a problem with my bike, or no big deal?

·
Registered
290 Posts
On an 06, the repair manual says (as you face the rear of the bike) loosen the axle nut on the RIGHT and re tighten to 20ftlbs . Adjust the cam on the left and check the adjustment again. If right tighten the axle nut to about 95 ft lbs. The earlier bikes used less tightening torque but I'm not sure if they also had the axle reversed.

IF you adjust for a solo rider and ride two up, with big folks, you probably have put more stress on the belt than normal. You should adjust it with weight on the bike near what you usually ride with. The later books say it can be adjusted WITHOUT weight in the saddle but I couldn't make it work. Always came out too tight untill I had the OL sit on the bike with a fifty pound weight in front of her to simulate my weight. I rarely ride two up and this method requires NO adjustments between tires (I get ten K or so out of a rear dunlop.).

EZ

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
03 Roadking said:
How do you determine where the tight spots are? :huh:

Bike on lift. Shift to neutral.
Spin wheel feeling belt tension until you find tightest spot (Get the belt to go around a few times). That's where you take your measurement.
Same thing with primary chain

·
Registered
729 Posts
I remember that at one time the use of a gauge was called for as well so that some us He-men were not pushing too hard upwards on the belt, but that may have changed.

BTW, I have 57K miles and usually about 500 miles after changing the rear tire I go back and check again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts