V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Takeing the night train back to dealer tomorrow. Noticed at 100 miles I had a drip or two everytime I parked the bike. Seems to me it is coming out where front gear is on belt drive. Its hard to tell since I cant see under there very good. It ends up settleing on the leftside shock, but I can see it above shock on inside of belt drive. Depressing to think that they will be tearing into it already. They worry me since I had to tighten up 2 of the 4 bolts holding handlebars on when bike was delivered. Guess will see how it works out....

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same problem on my Train. Found out I was over filling the tank. It looks like oil by the time it got down to the shock . I haven't had a drop since I eased up at the gas station.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I think he'd know if it was gas. I suspect it it probably tranny fluid.

If the tranny is overfilled it comes out the vent tube which exits the cover mounted to the top of the tranny jusy ahead of the fender extension. It loops around and dumps right onto the left shock and gets thrown around all over the uderside of the bike by the final drive belt once it drips off the shock. On the sidestand it collects and drips off the back of the left shock or right near the primary drain....fools you into thinking it might be primary fluid.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You got my hopes up, but no luck, the vent tube is dry. Like I said, it appears to come out where shaft is, that holds front drivebelt gear. Thanks for heads up on vent tube logical. Definately worth a check to see. Levels are where they should be. The oil I see hitting the ground doesnt have the smell I noticed on tranny dipstick niether. Bikinaz, thanks for your response to, but I havent overfilled gas tank yet. My learning curve is pretty much straight up on a harley, but I know its not gas running down the bike. Wouldnt that be a little hard on the paint? If weather cooperates, it will be in dealers shop tomorrow. Thanks again fellas!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got off phone w/dealer, apparently the tranny had a leak where the shaft came out for front drive belt gear. Will be picking it up tomorrow, hopefully the problem is cured....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts