1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Ultra, the last year for the mechanically driven
speedometer. I want to convert to an electronic speedometer but my
transmission doesn't have the hole to mount a sensor. I'm thinking of
mounting a sensor on the swingarm to read from the rear pulley teeth.
If I drill and tap a couple of 1/4 inch holes on the top flat surface
of the swingarm to attach a bracket would I be compromising the
integrity/strength of the swingarm too much? The holes would almost
be in line with and the same size as the 2 rearmost holes on the
bottom of the swingarm where the belt guard mounts.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ya know I used to have a 98 Ultra with a mechanical speedometer. The speedometer worked no differently than my 03 Ultra, As a matter of fact it had advantages that the electrical one does not. Example, on my 03 if I dont wait a moment between turning ignition switch on and starting the bike there is a chance that the speedometer will not display the correct speed. This has happened three times in 29000 miles. I have also known several people that had the magnetic pickup fail and have to be replaced costing a decent amount of money.
Never have I herd of a mechanical unit failing whatsoever (assuming the cable is lubricated as per the manual).
Guess what Im getting at is posing you with the question "what is the gain for your efforts?"

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason for converting is that I'm switching to the 2000 and up style 9 spoke wheels with the 1 inch axle that won't take a mechanical drive. I've already switched the lower fork legs and brake calipers awhile ago using a retrofit kit Harley had that allowed you to do all of that and keep the 1999 wheels by using a special 3/4 inch axle. Now it's time to change the wheels and the axle too. It would be so simple if I didn't have to deal with the speedo issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts