V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to keep the FLHX so now I want to give it some bling. I plan on putting Progressive 440's but I haven't figured out what length I'll go yet. I plan on putting the Mikuni 42 easy carb because I've had my jetting messed with 3 times and they can't seem to get it right. It still occasionally pops thru the carb and the MPG is terrible. I did a highway run today going no faster than 80 but mostly 70-75 and I had to hit reserve with only 136 miles on that tank which equaled 30 MPG.The third thing I want to do is add V&H true duals to the oval mufflers that I already have, hoping that they will give it a better sound. And finally, I would like to get some tasteful graphics or stripes painted on the bike using the stock black pearl as the base color. Any input would be appreciated. Also, if anyone knows were I could look at pictures online to get ideas as far as paint goes, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Hedgehog try looking at www.kustomcycles.com. It is the site for Klock Werks custom cycles. They seem to specialize in baggers. Where are you located. I am from the South Shore. Getting my FLHX in Feb or Mar.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You said "they" can't seem to get it right after messing with it 3 times. Did you have your dealer put a Dynojet kit in the Carburetor? There goes your mpg if it is installed per instructions. Yank the Dynojet stuff out, put in an $8 Sportster needle (27094-88) with stock jets, adjust the idle mixture screw and get your mpg back in the mid-high 40's. The stock CV carburetor works great if set up properly. If you put a Mikuni on it, it's going to require some messing with too.
I used to go on reserve at 140 miles with my '03 Dyna and Dynojet kit. Put in the Sporty needle and never looked back. MPG has been as high as 52, usually high 40's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Progressive

I put the Progressive Heavy-Duty 440 12" shocks on my Classic. No change to the front suspension.
Loved it. Big improvement riding 2-up over potholes, RR tracks, etc.
Looks better. No clearance problems noticed on turns.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I put Progressive HD 440's on my Street Glide. Plenty of folks go with the 12 inchers and find the ride greatly improved. I went with the 12.5 inch 440's and it only raised my bike 1/4 of an inch as measured (before and after) from the ground to the bottom end of my rear fender.

Oh, the ride is 200 percent improved over the 12 inch air shocks.

regards

·
Registered
195 Posts
As stated above. I put Rinehart T/D's with the Ness Big Sucker on my FLHX.
Running a 190 main jet, 46 slow jet with the sporty needle. A/F mixture is about 2.5 turns out. Bike runs strong with no farts or pops and I get around low 40's per gallon even getting on it heavy quite a bit.......

The secret is to not let the dealer touch/tune your bike!!!!!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
RCS said:
I put Progressive HD 440's on my Street Glide. Plenty of folks go with the 12 inchers and find the ride greatly improved. I went with the 12.5 inch 440's and it only raised my bike 1/4 of an inch as measured (before and after) from the ground to the bottom end of my rear fender.

Oh, the ride is 200 percent improved over the 12 inch air shocks.

regards
Good info on the 440's shocks as to the height. I want to go with the 440's but was worried it might change the height too much and I didn't want that. Do you feel that the 12.5" gave you any more comfort than the 12"?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I ordered the 46 slowjet from JP cycles yesterday, $3 for the jet and $8 and change for shipping and handling. I also have the sporster needle coming from the local dealer. My question is, is the needle adjustable with the e-clips or washers? If so, do the clips or washers come with it and what should I use for a base setting to start with? I have the Arlen Ness big sucker and V&H slipon ovals and I will eventually put trueduals over the winter.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The Sporty needle is not adjustable. You could shim it with washers, but you shouldn't need to. Make sure you put the stock emulsion tube and 190 jet back in if you have the Dynojet or some other kit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What slide spring should I use, the stock one or the Dynojet one and how can I tell which ones which?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'd use the stock spring. As I recall, the Dynojet one is a little shorter. Personally, I don't think you'll notice a lot of difference. I've heard of cases where the slide would oscillate after drilling it and using the lighter spring, never experienced it myself though. To check it, take off the air filter and watch the slide while you open the throttle part way then hold it steady. The slide should come up and stay in the same place.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
There is a hole in the slide from the factory. It is common practice to enlarge the hole from 3/32" (?) to 1/8" to improve throttle response. You can probably see the hole by looking in the throat of the carburetor, but I doubt you can tell if it's been drilled out larger than stock without removing it. If you're going to replace the needle, you're going to take the slide out anyway. If you don't have a problem with the slide fluttering, I wouldn't worry about it. The hole is #4 in the picture.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ran a #48 slow and a #195 main (#190 standard in Cal) and 2 1/2 turns on the screw. S E mufflers. No dyno jet kit or sportster needle. Bike runs great, no popping and mid 40,s mpg.

·
Registered
191 Posts
street glider said:
Good info on the 440's shocks as to the height. I want to go with the 440's but was worried it might change the height too much and I didn't want that. Do you feel that the 12.5" gave you any more comfort than the 12"?
The 12" shocks were the stock air shocks....I've never owned 12" 440's so I can not give you an answer to your question.

regards

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I installed the stock emulsion tube with the stock 190 mainjet, the sportster needle and the 46 slowjet from J&P. It runs pretty good for my first time jetting although when going around 65MPH and opening up the throttle, it has a slight stumble and then it clears up. Right now my mixture screw is 2.5 turns out. Any input would be appreciated. Owe by they way, it stick pops through the carb. This happens mainly when I'm decelerating off an exit and I blip the throttle to down shift to the next gear. It also happens sometimes if I twist the throttle quick off idle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts