V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EG to RG Conversion - Project Under Way

Thinking of changing my 03 FLHTPI(EG Bat wing) to a Road glide fairing. Long story short - almost bought a new 05 RG last winter, but at $19K+, it was a little out of my range. Brought home my 03 on 9/1/05. Got it for under $14K out the door with 5400 miles on it. More than $5k less made a big difference. I love my bike, it is in great shape, and I have already made lots of upgrades. I have no interest in selling this bike and looking for a different RG. I test rode a RG last winter, and that fixed fairing just flat rides great, regardless of how anyone thinks it looks. This thread got me dreaming.

I am not looking to make it a stock RG, just whatever it would take to get the RG fairing on it as inexpensively as possible, and make it like a "RG Standard". I would use anything from my 03 I could on the switchover (guages, turnsignals, handlebars) and upgrade later if I desire. My bike does not have cruise, radio, and is basically like a EG Standard at the fairing. I don't want to spend the $ now for cruise, radio, etc. I want to upgrade to the 04-06 style fairing, and I would put a clearview shield on it.

Has anyone ever spec'd out what parts would be needed, at least the basic fairing stuff? I called Chicago HD and rapped with a parts guy for a couple of minutes. He said buy a Touring parts manual for 03, and one for 04. He said that will show every part, bracket, nut, bolt, etc. needed for the change (I have the service manual, but apparantly the parts manual shows everything in detail). Just for fun I had him give me the prices for the Inner and Outer (Primed) RG fairings. Under $500 for both(with the 20% off). That got me thinking that this might really work. Obviously, lots of little brackets, lights, bolts, etc., etc. would be needed.

Incidentally, in the back of the service manual, the electrical diagrams show that EG and RG are nearly identical. RK's are shown in seperate drawings, and switching from a RK to a RG would probably be much more involved.

Maybe this summer I'll have a FL(H)T(R)PI!! Anyones thoughts or previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

·
Registered
404 Posts
Cheap as possible?

Steal a RG and strip it, bolt up what you need, sell the rest, go buy gas and whickey and a gun. ;)

Just busting....
Buy the parts manual for the RG.

Search ebay and the web for crashed RG's and buy the inner, outter fairing, wiring harness, gages and lights. Fix , replace what is broke.

Strip your batwing stuff , intall RG fairing, sell your leftovers on Ebay, etc.

Cheapest way.

·
Cheesehead
262 Posts
I'm gonna watch this thread. This is exactly what I would like to do to my 05 Ultra. I don't really want an 06 that will some day require an EPA sticker on my Clearview windshield.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update -

Kept thinking about doing this, and decided, what the heck, go ahead and do it. A couple of weeks ago, I stripped all of my batwing stuff off my 03 flhtpi. Almost chickened out once or twice, but I did it. Nothing but a bunch of wires on the front now. Started looking for RG parts on ebay. Bought a few items, but the bigger items would go on ebay for about what I could get them from zanotti's. And most of them had some damage. Man people often overpay on ebay.

So.... last week I got on the zanotti web site and ordered most of the other parts. Got an email the other day, everything shipped, and it will be here tomorrow. The outer fairing will be shipped in about 2 weeks (it takes that long to get it from HD). Ordered my Clearview WS (Tinted w/ vent) Monday, and that should be here in 3 -4 weeks. I went to my local dealer and ordered all of the bolts and screws, etc. What they did not have in stock will be in in a few days.

So for the next week or two, I will spend some time out in the barn, putting on the Road Glide stuff. I am planning on taking my time, and making sure I get it right. My goal is for my first ride before the end of April.

I'll post once in a while with updates, and let you know how it's going. I will also take a few pictures along the way, and add them to my photobucket.com thing.

I will be putting most of my batwing stuff on ebay soon, and hopefully use the boxes the RG stuff came in to ship it.

I also might need a closeup picture or two from you RG'ers, so I get all the cables and clamps right.

Ride safe, and I can't wait to see you on the road on my FL(H)T(R)PI.

Doug

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Doug,
Make sure you give us before, during, and after shots for proper dialysis. This is a touchy surgery, all involved need clear line of sight. Make sure you steralize all tools and utensils. I'm getting the gloves now....:coffee:

·
Cheesehead
262 Posts
Oh boy oh boy oh boy! Can't wait to hear how this turns out. I would pay for the finalized complete parts list.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Doug,

What color is your bat wing? I have a buddy looking for one.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Handlebars...

Don't know for certain, but you might want to look for new bars. As I recall, the EG bars are quite a bit wider at the clamp. Could be a clearance problem with the fixed fairing. I don't recommend going with stock RG bars though. WILD 1'S makes a set of chubbies specifically for the RG. I have a set, and they definitely cure the aching arms, back and neck I suffered with the stock RG bars.

IMHO you're doing the right thing. Go for it. :clap:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
unyalli,

I'd be glad to email or pm my parts list to you. I can also send you what the parts cost me (quite reasonable, I feel). If you look at my original post, I am going to convert it to a "Road Glide Standard", using as many of my current parts as I can, and then upgrade over the years. It won't have a radio, cruise, etc. If you were going to make yours look more like a stock RG, you would need other parts as well. But it would give you an idea.

moorefun,

My batwing is vivid black/birch white two tone. Couple minor scuffs, but no real damage. It looks pretty good. Within the next week, I am going to photograph everything that I am going to sell, and put it all in the classified section. I can then email photos to anyone who might be interested. Whatever doesn't sell goes on ebay. I won't be looking to make a killing, just to get a little back to offset the $ for the project.

great escape,

I ordered the heitage bars with my zanotti order. After looking closely at RG's for last month and doing some reading, I didn't think the EG bars would work, just like you said. I just put new SAC grips on my EG bars two months ago. Oh well. I guess I'll order new ones again :( .

I'm sitting here waiting for ther big brown truck and doing some painting (the house, not the bike).

Thanks for all of the input.

Doug

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had heritage bars put on mine. Just a matter of taste.
"I just put new SAC grips on my EG bars two months ago. Oh well. I guess I'll order new ones again "
You can easily remove grips (especially if not cooked by years of sun) by getting a vetinary size hypo and filling it with napha. You inject the solvent in the middle of grip by sliding the needle in at an angle till it hits the metal bar. You will see it start to expand balloon like. Now work the solvent around the rest of the grip doiing the ends last. Baby will slide off like a banana peel. Have removed a ton of golf grips this way.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shoveler,

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. Is napha the same thing as lighter fluid?

The SAC grips had a plastic housing, but I might be able to get a small needle under it.

Anyone got a good suggestion for glue? I just used what came with the grips before, and that is gone now.

Thanks.

Doug

·
Registered
287 Posts
doch4m said:
Shoveler,

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. Is napha the same thing as lighter fluid?

The SAC grips had a plastic housing, but I might be able to get a small needle under it.

Anyone got a good suggestion for glue? I just used what came with the grips before, and that is gone now.

Thanks.

Doug
Yes, lighter fluid will do the job.
There will be enough residue glue on them if you remove them as discribed. Then coat the insides with what ever solvent you use and slide them back on the new bars.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Big brown truck arrived Friday afternoon. 2 BIG boxes. The rest of the nuts/bolts/misc. stuff is at the dealer, will pick up Sunday.

Surgery starts Monday night.

Later.

Doug

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update - Project started!

Previously

Before I even decided to do this, I wanted to clean up/streamline the glide. I took off the front and rear fender bumpers (I left the fender tip lights front and rear). I also removed the saddlebag guards, and replaced them with the comfort profile guards.

When I stripped down the glide to convert it a couple of weeks ago, I took off the police solo air seat (replaced with Mustang ultra touring) and all the batwing stuff. I separated the stuff I thought could be reused. I then ordered my parts. The parts arrived, and surgery started Monday.

Monday 3-27

I took back the main room in the barn/garage (kids play area) for a week or two, and set up shop. The weather is breaking so the kids are fine. I set up some basic tools and had my service manual and parts catalogue close by.

I didn't get started until late. Was hoping to get a little more done today, but it was a good start. Keep telling myself, take your time, no big hurry. Anyway, the clearview won't be here for 3 weeks at least.

Tomorrow should see some progress.

Tuesday 3-28

Got down to business today. I took a few pictures of the new RG parts next to the bike. I thought I saw, out of the corner of my eye, all the batwing stuff which was cast to the corner of the barn, bowing down to the RG stuff.

Just kidding, no flaming.

Since I removed my rear bumper, I needed the saddlebag support (91140-04), which I ordered with my zanotti's order. (That parts catalogue is invaluable.) I installed that. I like the cleaner look without the bumpers and without the big saddlebag guards, and it fits with RG minimalist theme.

I put the all important towel on the front fender for protection. I also used some clothesline to tie up (up as in to the ceiling) the cables and the brake line from each side of the handlebars. I did not want those hanging down, possibly getting damaged, or damaging anything else.

I removed the EG bars. I am trying to save my SAC grips, and wanted to use lighter fluid for grip glue removal away from the bike and the barn. I then test fit the heritage bars. They felt good, but I have decided to cut 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch off each side. It felt better that way, just a little more narrow. I will remove the plugs, make the cuts, and then fill the bars with rubber caulk and some lead shot for vibration control.

Now it was time to install the first actual RG piece, the fairing mount bracket (58530-98). I carefully marked the interconnect, and (gulp), removed it. I pulled all of the main harness cables through the bracket and put it in position. I had to remove the plugs on the front of the frame to allow the RG fairing mount to be bolted on. I then put the bolts through, and tourqed her down to 30 foot pounds.

That's all for today. I am happy with the progress. It all looks pretty straight forward so far.

For me, I think the biggest challange will be the wiring, and taking my time to get everything right. I am planning on using the EG Police Interconnect. I may have to extend (read cut and splice) the wiring to the 2 small gauges (fuel, volts) and maybe to something else, but I am OK with that. By using the Interconnect I have, I will save some $ (those rascals are expensive!), and I know everything should work just as before. The Police EG's have a (slightly) different main harness and different handlebar switches. I am afraid that by plugging a RG Interconnect in bewteen those, that something might not work. Also, I like the Police handle bar switches. I think they look cool, and I want to retain a little of the bike's heritage.

Later for now.

Doug

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
3/29/06

Light day today. My left nacelle (67922-98D) arrived today via big brown. Put the nacelles and speedo/tach housing together, and put the speedo, tach, and warning lights/turn signal bar in it. Also put the fuel and volt gauges in the inner fairing. That looked cool.

I also put the metal blade on the circular saw and cut a little off each side of the heritage bars. About a 1/2 inch each side. I then filled the bars with good silicone caulk in the bottom, a little lead shot in the sides, and caulk again at the top. I did this on my EG bars. I read somewhere that it can lessen handlebar/grip vibration.

Tomorrow, I am going to try to get my left grip (SAC Foam Rubber) off the EG bars. I have some Goo gone and some lighter fluid to try to break the glue. The SAC grips have a tight fitting plastic housing, so it will be fun.

Friday, I am going to work on the installation of the bars, grips, and the nacelle stuff. We'll see how it goes.

Unfortunately, I cannot post pictures on this site. If anyone is interested in pictures, PM me.

Ride safe.

Doug

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
doch4m said:
3/29/06

Unfortunately, I cannot post pictures on this site. If anyone is interested in pictures, PM me.

Ride safe.

Doug
Upload them to a free hosting sight and post the link:cheers:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts