V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could….

Money is no object but I don’t want to change the serial number on the bike, ie. registration, insurance, etc. My understanding is that I need to modify the stock motor and not buy a new motor to preserve my original DMV information. S&S or Screaming Eagle? The local $tealer will warranty an S&S build or SE, my choice. They are dealer's for both. From what I’ve read I would go with the S&S upgrade.

BIKE STATS:
05 FLSTN- ie. Not EFI
Stock TC88
Stage One
V&H BSL – I love the pipes and don’t want to change
I’ve done tons of other cosmetic upgrades but nothing to do with performance.

RIDING PROFILE:
The bike is ALWAYS at GVW. I ride two up all the time and with my fat ass and my wife’s plus the 42D Boss Bags full of crap we are at max weight. It’s not a commuter bike but we do put tons of miles on it over the weekends so it’s mostly cross country.

What would YOU do? S&S 124” Hot Set Up, SE 103”? I’m not a “wrench” so I need some guidance, which means I will have to pay someone to do it. This board ROCKS!

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice....

I was looking for advice on engine mods not footpegs. BTW I'm in South Orange County CA not in NM.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
fcnorton said:
I was looking for advice on engine mods not footpegs. BTW I'm in South Orange County CA not in NM.
you evidently dont know who responded to you in the above post...
the gentleman forgot more about cylinder heads than you could learn in your remaining time on this planet....the "bullet" IS Deweys heads...and he recomended a cost effective build that will get you 100hp and 100ftlbs that will run forever.
I visited the land of fruit and nuts one time...I didnt care for the brown sky.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
fcnorton said:
Dewey is giving you engine mod advice, please check out his head porting service at the URL he gave you. The Andrews 37g makes big torque numbers throughout the powerband with the right pipes. Another fact you will need to come to grips with.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Ok, back on track, that does sound like a dream bike! But what puts you on a Softail, that sounds like a job for a bagger? Anyway, I would go the S&S route if I had the bug for a new motor and those were my only choices (key phrase there). I am by far no expert around here, this is just my -2$en#e- , but I have heard the SE 103" stroker kit is not the most long-haul reliable or powerful. I have heard OK things about the S&S motors. That would be a no-brainer for me. I wanted the 103" motor when I saw my first CVO FLSTS but after asking around I don't much care for it. But the bike is pretty new (I've got about 12K on my '05 Deluxe BTW) so it has got a lot of life in the bottom end, why not consider the *excellent advice* above and slip on some 95" jugs, Andrews cams, pistons, ported heads (maybe a gasket to bring the CR up a bit), end get the carb worked over? That's a $4K job (right coast). Cost half as much probably and you'll still be making 100 - 110 ft. lbs with a SERT and some experienced dyno time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for being testy...

I didn't mean to offend anyone....I just deal with GVW on dailhy basis as a commercial pilot and the FLSTN doesn't give you much room. I appreciate all the feedback...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I am going 98" with TW5 cam and Dewey Spegs Pro Street Porting and valve upgrade in Dec/Jan.

I was going to go with Axtell Steel lined cylinders, but since, have done a fair amount of research on the Nikasil lined Aluminum cylinders and will realize approx. 30 degree cooler running motor going this route (as I am in the Middle East) so will be knocking on HDWrenchs door for roller rockers and now his 98" kit and Dewey Spegs for his excellent heads...........which both guys have supplied to quite a number of very happy members.

I also have the SERT but will do the build, run it in on the DFO, and then start playing with the SERT to get it going perfect.

All the best Ozzie

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Check with DMV, not sure about CA, but one option if you want more then a 95" like mentioned above, is a Jim's 120 out of the box.

About 120/120, maybe a bit less with those pipes, they are built real strong in several critical areas and IMO for someone that is always at max weight and doesn't wrench a big dumb engine is just the ticket.

They do come with a certificate of origin and as long as you retain it there shouldn't be a registration issue. This leaves you a complete near new takeoff engine either to sell or to put back in the bike if you decide to sell or trade.

Expensive, but you say that is not a issue.

I'll sell you the clutch for it when the time comes. LOL.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
fcnorton said:
I ride two up all the time and with my fat ass and my wife’s plus the 42D Boss Bags...

If my wife was a D-cup, I'd find something more complimentary than "boss bags" to call them...

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
time 4 thread 'drift'

MegaGlide said:
If my wife was a D-cup, I'd find something more complimentary than "boss bags" to call them...
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

:clap: :yes: :wavey:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
HIPPO said:
Check with DMV, not sure about CA, but one option if you want more then a 95" like mentioned above, is a Jim's 120 out of the box.

About 120/120, maybe a bit less with those pipes, they are built real strong in several critical areas and IMO for someone that is always at max weight and doesn't wrench a big dumb engine is just the ticket.

They do come with a certificate of origin and as long as you retain it there shouldn't be a registration issue. This leaves you a complete near new takeoff engine either to sell or to put back in the bike if you decide to sell or trade.

Expensive, but you say that is not a issue.

I'll sell you the clutch for it when the time comes. LOL.
Hey Hippo, if I do the 98 w/woods6g, am I gonna need the vpc only or the SE spring plus vpc or something more?
TIA
adx

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It's best if you e mail me at [email protected], as things like model and year of bike, primary ratio if not stock, etc come into play when deciding on a setup.
In principle there would be no issue in using the correct VPC with the stock diaphragm spring and friction pack.
They even are compatible with the new ramp and spring setup HD came out with for 06 (as well as hydraulic actuators) and parts can be combined in various ways for cases where there is a special need like for example partial disabilities.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
SILVER BULLET said:
Get Dewey's heads and run the Andrews 37G cams. You will have plenty of power. 95 inch" deweyspegs.com or you can go on a diet !
I don't see anything about heads on the website. Can I get more info?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts