V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the simplistic question but there might be a better way...

What is the easiest way to drain the fuel out of a dyna (lowrider) tank besides siphoning it....which never works out very well for me...

If I attached a drain hose to the petcock and opened it, would that work?

...Or how about draining out of the crossover line?

Any hint appreciated.
thanks

ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"

·
Registered
483 Posts
It takes a vacuum pump to pull in the diaphram to drain from the tap such as a mityvac by silverline. Pull the small line off the nipple at the top of the valve and hook it up there. pulling a vacuum on the diaphram will let the fuel flow out the petcock now. they are about $45.00 and are real useful for other tasks. you
could drain it by the crossover but it's kind of messy. you should be able to find one at most auto supply stores.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had to do this several times over the last month....never did find a way of not making a mess. You can't drain from the petcock as it needs vacuum from the carb to work. I drained from the crossover. It helps if you have an extra pair of hands. I would pull the hose off the left side and point it down into the gas can (or clean bucket). The extra set of hands can put a cap on the tank fitting that you pulled the hose off of. I use the rubber caps that are used to put on unused vacuum lines on carburators. I also use a large piece of cardboard to use as "splash shield" so I don't get gas all over the primary. The best tip of all is to almost run the bike out of gas so you have less to drain.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
The key to siphoning is having a CEAR 3/8 tube that is long enough {4 ft}, with a brass fitting {for weight} on the end that goes into the tank. Place the weighted end into the tanks lowest point, use a rag in the cap opening to hold the tube in place, so it does not slip out. Having a container large enough container for the gas, BLOW into the tube so you hear bubbles, then quickly take a short toke or two to start the gas flowing. The fluid can be seen thru the clear tubing. The open end of the tube must stay below the tank for the gas to flow.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks fellas.
guess I'll do the old crossover line deal...

I've had too many tokes of gas and other crap in my life to do your suggestions fourcats:wacko:

ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
ok... someones gotta ask... why the need to drain the tank? Having it painted or something :huh:

If you are just taking it off to work on the bike... no need to drain it. If you are storing it for the winter, you want a full tank to keep it from rusting (stabilize also a good idea).

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Well when I was doing my build on the FLTRI I was going to buy the Chrome detachable cross over line with compression fittings from JP Cycle. It is 100 for the braided and like 50 for the black. I said no don't need it I wont have to pull the tank again, WRONG. at least 4 or 5 times I have had to drain that big a$$ tank and even with the light on it is a mess and seems like a lot of fuel. I just bought the disconnecting cross over from JP. Should have done it on the build the FIRST time I took the tank off.

As far as not removing the tank to work, not sure in this case but on the RG it must come off for a lot of the work I am doing.
Part 400-981 for me
http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2005HarleyUpdateCatalog/0409.htm

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
reason= I am getting a set of custom painted new tins.
last time I had to empty the tank was 'cuz I had to run some wiring to put a set of auxiliary lights on....

I did run as much gas out of the tank pretty much, until the friggin snow came:badmood:

ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts