V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good way to drain the fuel tank without spraying fuel all over the bike and the lift and my tools (as I have already done!)?

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Make sure you have a good container that is large enough {i.e. plan ahead}. The key to using a siphon tube is to "blow first" & listen for the bubbles.

·
I HATE 'bing'...
1,011 Posts
Check the H-D Service Manual. The whole procedure is right there!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You could hook up a vac pump to the petcock. I have never done this. Might take awhile.

I am looking for a cheap transfer pump to suck the old gas out of things that have been sitting.

This summer I bought quick disconnect for the cross over hose, but have not installed it.

What I do is get a bucket, funnel, hoses, and in my underwear, in the driveway, just pull the cross over fast, as I lift the tank up. Then hose all of us off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice, guy's. I did have a look at the service manual I have for my bike. It still was a bit messy. Wasn't much I could see doing about it really. But the job is done.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the hose off of the fuel pump...

·
Registered
66 Posts
RWB. Thanks for taking the time to make this video. Sure made clean work out of the tank removal.

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
I'm assuming the you need to drain the tank in order to remove it. Here is how I do it with out spilling a drop, even with the tank completely full.

The crossover is 5/16" fuel line that you can get at any auto parts store, have some on hand to make a new crossover.

Place two small needle nose vice grips or any other type of clamp on the crossover and cut in-between the clamps.

Remove the tank, release one clamp and drain the tank into a gas can. when you replace the tank, make a new crossover out of the new 5/16" fuel like and secure it with two new worm clamps.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
I like Mikes procedure on what & how to do it.
I am in the midst of doing some major mods to my ride this winter which includes a 2.5'' tank raise in the front & a 1'' raise in the rear mount. I am also going to relocate the crossover to the rear of the tank so it fits over the backbone & will no longer present any difficulties removing the tank in the future. Done Deal

Dare

2000 FXST

·
Registered
169 Posts
I used to use Mike's method, only I would drain it before removing the tank, and then remove the crossover cuts pieces. Every time I didn't the clips would drag up along the frame and snag on something or scratch the paint. The Dynas are the worst since their crossover bibbs face towards each other. This forces the line right up against the frame hard as you bring the tank up.

The FL's are not faced that away but rather more straight forward. With them you have enough slack just to put some quick disconects in and then you have it without even emptying the tank at all.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use a variation of the clamp/ cut and replace the crossover hose. I use conical neoprene hose plugs that I found in the washer/faucet repair area at the hardware store for $0.21 each.

Clamp in 2 places about 2" apart, cut hose with a rag underneath. Plug both ends and pull the tank off without my vise grip pliers clanking into everything on the way off and then remembering that I forgot to pull the fuel gauge plug. BTDT

If it's a carbed bike, turn the petcock off and run it dry first. A bit less gas to spill when pulling the carb.

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
I use a variation of the clamp/ cut and replace the crossover hose. I use conical neoprene hose plugs that I found in the washer/faucet repair area at the hardware store for $0.21 each.

Clamp in 2 places about 2" apart, cut hose with a rag underneath. Plug both ends and pull the tank off without my vise grip pliers clanking into everything on the way off and then remembering that I forgot to pull the fuel gauge plug. BTDT

If it's a carbed bike, turn the petcock off and run it dry first. A bit less gas to spill when pulling the carb.
Neoprene hose plugs, excellent!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts