V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed my oil for winter storage and got myself a little surprise.
Found half dozen flakes in the drain oil, appear to be chrome flakes, mirror shiny on one side and dull iron look on the other.
All seem to be similar size and thickness. All have a curved/cupped shape to them.
I'm attaching a photo (tough to get a good one) with a ball point pen for reference of size.
I'm thinking top ring plating. Any other ideas?
Leg Gesture Grey Line Slope

· Registered
10,241 Posts
I'm looking at the images and thinking cam chest particles like,, cam spring tensioner particles from early twin cam engines..

Top ring plating? No, you would see smoke, loss of power, and need a minimum of a top end rebuild, with a complete tear down, and cleaning of the oil pan...

· Registered
1,939 Posts
If you have some spare time, go over the Engine Oil Flow section in the FSM. Could help you in your search for more pieces, if that is part of your plan of action.

I believe he is talking about the 2015 in his sig. Either way, it still might keep you up at night for a while.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To answer questions:
2700 miles on oil.
Yes, magnetic.
No new or unusual noises.
Did not cut open filter, safe bet there is more of same in filter.

All pieces are the same, paper thin and uniform thickness throughout. No chunks such as seen with spalling of a hardened surface.

Regardless, I will likely start with an inspection of the cams and followers as they are overdue for a health check anyway.

Thanks everyone for the comments. If anything else comes to mind I would love to hear it.

· Registered
5,791 Posts
So what are you going to do? If it were mine, the motor would be out already, the oil pan (or tank) cleaned, and the root cause found. Then a plan to get it back to as new condition. There is no easy button when things like this occur. Many try partial repairs, and they usually fail down the line because there is more metal that causes collateral damage.

· Premium Member
4,901 Posts
My first guess is wiped cam lobe or lifter. Flat and rolled from going thru oil pump. Could also be sheared material from the pump. But the plated appearance on one side?
DD nailed it, that engine is gonna need time in intensive care. Good luck….

· Registered
1,590 Posts
In a stretch, Does the bike have chrome rocker boxes, engine covers? Mine does, and the chrome also does extend into the inside of the covers, Maybe a bad chrome job peeling, what does the outsides look like? In any case, metal has went through the engine and an internal inspection will be required, at the least.

· Registered
5,791 Posts
In a stretch, Does the bike have chrome rocker boxes, engine covers? Mine does, and the chrome also does extend into the inside of the covers, Maybe a bad chrome job peeling, what does the outsides look like? In any case, metal has went through the engine and an internal inspection will be required, at the least.
I think you may be on to something here.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the additional thoughts. It will be a bit until I have a chance to dig in but will update when I know more.

Cheers & Happy Holidays

Reactions: HDfatbagger
1 - 14 of 14 Posts