V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some info, I run Cycle Shack 1 3/4 Drags on my TC, but I'm moving up to the 98" kit and would like to add some backpressure.
The problem is I don't want to lose the LOUDness of the pipes.
Have any of you used the Khrome Werks baffles?
Would I be able to gain a reasonable amount of backpressure if I cut them down to around 3 inches without sacraficing the sound I've come to love???
:dunno:
Thanks
Brad

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
RideMyWideGlide said:
Looking for some info, I run Cycle Shack 1 3/4 Drags on my TC, but I'm moving up to the 98" kit and would like to add some backpressure.
Would I be able to gain a reasonable amount of backpressure if I cut them down to around 3 inches without sacraficing the sound I've come to love???
Thanks
Brad
You need to install some Thunder Monster baffles....brings the torque back..they deepen the sound a bunch too. They are LOUD !

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to check those out too I guess... I just don't want to change the sound.. :whistle:

I'm thinking with the 98" kit, who cares if I'm losing a few ponies, I'm still ahead of the curve, but I do notice a little less power since going with them on the stock 88.

I may end up buying both and experimenting from the looks of it.

Thanks
Brad

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
You may want to try "torque cones" that's a close as you'll get without baffles...

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
RideMyWideGlide said:
I'll have to check those out too I guess... I just don't want to change the sound.. :whistle:

I'm thinking with the 98" kit, who cares if I'm losing a few ponies, I'm still ahead of the curve, but I do notice a little less power since going with them on the stock 88.

I may end up buying both and experimenting from the looks of it.

Thanks
Brad
I know you want the "sound" ....the thunder monsters make any motor sound "BIGGER" ....but you really need some back pressure or you will be losing a lot of your new build. If you are running unbaffled drag pipes now....and the motor isnt torn down yet...I'd suggest you try the t-monsters in the motor as is..the back pressure will really wake it up all across the lower rpm range..then you will really know how much you gained from the 98" kit alone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thundermonsters are your answer

You'll get as many opinions as there are people.....but I agree with previous posts.

I went down the same road you're going down. I had a set of V&H short shots on my last bike ('99 FLSTF) and pulled the baffles out. Sound rocked but performance dropped off like a brick. Then I cut the stock baffles in half.....not much better.

Bought the Thundermonsters and life was good. Better sound than the straight pipe (much deeper but still loud as hell......without the reversion crackle when you let off the throttle).

Liked 'em so much that I bought another set on my current bike ('05 Thunder Mountain custom) with V&H Big Radius pipes. Same story.

Well worth the (small) cost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh by the way....

Forgot to mention .......I also tried running straight pipes with torque cones as well and still didn't get the result I was looking for. Still no low to mid range torque. They minimized the reversion crackle, but still no grunt.

It all came together after installing the Thundermonsters (and no....I'm not on BCT commission.....just a big fan of the product).

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm running the powercones now.. they did help alot with the low end response. The 'Reversion cackle" or backrap is the one thing I don't want to lose sadly.. I know there is a scarafice is power, but if it's minimal with the cones, and the new build, I'm thinking I'll live with it for the sound..
:brows:

Thanks
Brad

·
I'm gonna powder his nose
537 Posts
All I can say is "louvered cores suck" try to find a slip in core that uses perferated tube with packing around it instead of the louvers, there are some 'universal" ones out there all you need to know is the drag pipe ID.

Louvered cores really restrict flow compared to a perf tube, restrict to a point that the pulse wave gets so confused that power is really sacraficed.

I just found these in the Drag book;

http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/1722/25/2394886

Happy trails.

·
Banned
871 Posts
RideMyWideGlide said:
Thanks
Brad
OK, are you more concerned about sound or performance? If you don't care about performance, then keep the drag pipes.

Best advice I can give... throw the drag pipes in the trash and get a real exhaust system. Drag pipes only work well above 4000 rpm, and it'll run like crap below that. They make it almost impossible to tune your bike, too. Believe it or not, you are losing a LOT of low end torque with those pipes! I've tried several ways to make them work (baffles, AR cones, etc.), spending many hours on the dyno, but nothing works as well as a good, properly tuned system. All the baffles in the world can't compensate for the drag pipes poor design. They call them drag pipes for a reason... they are for drag bikes, not street bikes. :) They also work ok on the older Shovels and Sportys, but that's about it.

There are a few exhaust systems that work very well. If you absolutely must have a 2-2 exhaust, get the Python III, Bartels, V&H Straightshots, or Cycle Shack slip-ons. They will give you the most torque across the broadest rpm range.

If you want serious performance, then you'll need a 2-1 system like the Thunderheader or the V&H Pro-Pipe. Nothing will outperform a good 2-1 system. You can tell if a person knows a lot about performance mods if they have 2-1 pipes on their bike. This has been proven time and time again on race tracks and dynos. I use nothing but the Pro-Pipe now. It's performance is better than anything I've tried and the sound is awesome! Nice mellow rumble when cruising, but gets really loud when you nail it. In other words... it sounds like a Harley.

I wouldn't spend all that money on a 98" build, and then kill a lot of that power with a bad exhaust system. That would be a big waste of money! Louder does not mean faster!

That's my 2 cents. :D

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
ToddM said:
There are a few exhaust systems that work very well. If you absolutely must have a 2-2 exhaust, get the Python III, Bartels, V&H Straightshots, or Cycle Shack slip-ons. They will give you the most torque across the broadest rpm range.

I wouldn't spend all that money on a 98" build, and then kill a lot of that power with a bad exhaust system. That would be a big waste of money! Louder does not mean faster!

That's my 2 cents. :D
Great advice!!! There are 2 other 2into2 systems that seem ideal for a 95/98 build: Bassani Pro Streets and Bub Jug Huggers...both have a choice of baffles though even the quiet ones are real loud and sound great!!!

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2 into 1 is not an option, I can't stand the look.
I've checked out some other 2-2 systems that may be acceptable replacements, but mainly I'm more concerned about the sound.
I didn't lose much (by seat of the pants) when I put these on, but I know they will sacrafice a bit more on the BB kit.
What about Sampsons, like the Big Guns, I have heard them on other bikes, but will they also have a performance drop?

Thanks for all the advice guys,
Brad

·
Banned
871 Posts
RideMyWideGlide said:
2 into 1 is not an option, I can't stand the look.
I've checked out some other 2-2 systems that may be acceptable replacements, but mainly I'm more concerned about the sound.
I didn't lose much (by seat of the pants) when I put these on, but I know they will sacrafice a bit more on the BB kit.
What about Sampsons, like the Big Guns, I have heard them on other bikes, but will they also have a performance drop?

Thanks for all the advice guys,
Brad
Check out this link for an excellent comparison of the top exhaust systems. Try to find something that sounds good (ask around or call the manuf.) and has a street power ranking as close to 100% as possible. Those are the pipes that create the most seat of the pants (and dyno) torque across the widest rpm range.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust_test_01.htm

·
Registered
64 Posts
Todd, Most excellant link. I have it bookmarked and will spend some time in there.
As for my 01 FXSTI I had some Khrome Werks slipons when I bought the bike and didnt really care for the sound. Built the 95 thing and now they sound awesome and perform really well. Dynoes respectfully also.
Thanks for the link.
Ron

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
dont laugh they work

RideMyWideGlide said:
Thanks
Brad
get yourself a washer to fill 3/4 the pipe size a regular washer with a hole in it weld a 1/4 bolt to it put it in your pipe put a screw driver through the center of the washer and tighten it up. No **** They work great and you don't loose no sound I have been using them for years. I couldn't make them work on a shovel head but everything else. Take the power cones out junk.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
RideMyWideGlide said:

Brad
Stock cams have almost no overlap (6*), so it minimizes the effect of exhaust changes. When you do your 98" BB kit with new cams with, lets say, 32* of overlap (37G), your low end will likely be much worse than your stock 88" if you run the drag pipes. Its all about the components and how they interact with each other. Moving away from stock cams will make your exhaust choice much more important.

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Roger that.... Your the second person to mention that issue.
I'm thinking I'll get the 98" kit done then try a couple of exhaust systems that I've been able to hear on other bikes... Buying a couple of sets of baffles isn't too bad, but I don't want to experiment too much with $400-$600 sets of pipes..

Brad

·
Banned
871 Posts
Meat said:
get yourself a washer to fill 3/4 the pipe size a regular washer with a hole in it weld a 1/4 bolt to it put it in your pipe put a screw driver through the center of the washer and tighten it up. No **** They work great and you don't loose no sound I have been using them for years. I couldn't make them work on a shovel head but everything else. Take the power cones out junk.
One of the biggest enemies of a smooth running engine is reversion (exhaust pulses flowing back towards the heads). It will destroy your performance! Drag pipes, even with washers in the end, allow a lot of reversion. It doesn't matter on drag bikes though, since they run at very high rpm pretty much all the time. I've tried the "washer on a stick" and although it will very slightly reduce the dip in the torque curve, the difference is not noticable while riding, and barley noticable on the dyno. It's much more effective on the older ironheads and Shovels, but they are just no good at all on an EVO or TC.

When I was using that setup on my Dyna, I still had a tough time getting the carb tuned correctly, and there was a LOT of reversion, making the idle and low rpm operation very rough. If you put your hand close to the end of the rear pipe, you could feel it sucking air back in below 2000 rpm. There is simply no substitute for a good set of tuned pipes with baffles. But, if sound is more important to you than a good running bike, then go for it! :D

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
May respectfully suggest you consider the rest of the motorcycle community and get some quieter pipes? The noise commies are gaining more influence all the time.
And yes, I do put my money where my mouth is. When my bike was dynoed last month I gave up a few HP by going from 22 to 15 discs on the Super Trapp muffler in order to quiet things down.
Flame away if you must, but as Paul Harvey says "Self government without self dicipline is doomed to failure".

·
Banned
871 Posts
Milehog said:
May respectfully suggest you consider the rest of the motorcycle community and get some quieter pipes? The noise commies are gaining more influence all the time.
And yes, I do put my money where my mouth is. When my bike was dynoed last month I gave up a few HP by going from 22 to 15 discs on the Super Trapp muffler in order to quiet things down.
Flame away if you must, but as Paul Harvey says "Self government without self dicipline is doomed to failure".
You make some good points. Our image (bikers, not motorcycle enthusiasts) isn't the greatest as it is. Not only that, but it's just common courtesy to your neighbors. I was a fan of the open pipes when I was a kid (I think I stopped being a kid at about age 32. LOL!), but outgrew that phase in favor of better performance. After working on jet engines for over 20 years, my hearing ain't the best to begin with, so I kinda enjoy the less obnoxious sound of a good, tuned exhaust system. :beer4u: ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts