V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, what will be the impact to handling if I remove my stock bars and replace them with 24" drag bars? I am currently running 9.5" risers, which I love.

thanks

·
`05 FXDI
171 Posts
dotrpaul said:
Guys, what will be the impact to handling if I remove my stock bars and replace them with 24" drag bars? I am currently running 9.5" risers, which I love.

thanks
I can't help you with your question but it raises another question for me. What year is your Dyna and what bars/risers are you going to use? I ask because mine is an 2005 and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the pesky speedometer on the handle bars. Just wondered what you were going to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 94 Dyna lowrider and fitted drag bars and 3 1/2 inch risers to it. Made it easier to poke into corners and made you want to do 20mph above the speed limit everywhere you went!! I had to get a different front brake hose to suit and had to buy some longer stalk mirrors cause with the original short stalk models I was only looking at the inside of my armpits.

And man did they look cool .................I tell ya it was the 78 Lowrider reborn (cept it went ,didnt vibrate and also didnt have things falling off all the time!!)

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Seems to me that 24" bars would be a little short for comfort and ease of steering. That's an "uneducated" guess based on the drag bars that I have that are plenty wide and allow me to ride in a pretty natural position. I recommend that you look around different shops and watering holes and check out the variety of drag bars. Mine are Carlini and feel great for me. (1995 FXDWG)
email me and I'll send you some pics. Most have already been posted in here before so I can't attach them here. [email protected]
Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drag bars

thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and ordered some 28" off of ebay this weekend.

I already have the 20mph over the speed limit thing going, so we will see.

·
Fukengruven
100 Posts
Any Pics yet?? I am considering putting on some drag bars, but I dont think I
want the 9" risers, I was told 7" would look killer...I dunno... I would like to see some pics first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am running my 01 fxdwg with a 30inch drag bar on 6inch risers. Huge difference from the apes. Totally different feel -- I love it. I did have to can the bar mounted tach though, wouldn't look right sticking up from drag bars.

-- I also have a spare 29inch drag bar take off from a night train if anyone is looking for a new bar.

·
Banned
871 Posts
The 28 inch bars should be ok. My personal preference are the flattrack bars and stock risers. They allow excellent handling since they are wider than most drag bars, yet have a very slight rise to them. Watch some AMA flattrack races, especially the TTs, and you'll see why those guys use them. They have a lot of leverage for easier one-handed steering on twisty roads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts